It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:42 am

Free Newsletter

clothing sizes

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

clothing sizes

Postby molligrub » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:55 am

Has anyone else noticed the strange phenomenon that clothing sizes in general appear to be getting larger? I mean, about 6 years ago I had to be around 50-52kg to comfortably fit into a size 8, now I can fit into them right up to around 57kg. And no, it's not muscle, because I've actually compared my 'skinny' clothes of past and present and the 8's of today are more the size of 10s. I think they call it vanity sizing!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wnqxaGD/]
[/url]

I am gonna exercise my butt off!! Literally!!
molligrub

Re: clothing sizes

Postby Fiona25 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:11 am

I agree!

And it varies in every shop. I have a size 8 pair of target jeans that're too big on me, they fall down on me without a belt and I know i'm not a proper size 8 just yet!

I have a pair of 10 jeans that fit quite well, a little too big and they're much smaller than my target 8's.

I have a pair of sportsgirl 9 shorts that're too big on me.

I used to have to be 55kgs to be a 'proper' 8.

Sure it feels good to be buying 8's but I feel its more of a 10.
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby Jodie91 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:17 am

Another interesting clothing size thing (well for me anyway) is the fact that size 16 in the everyday racks at target are too small for me (Just :) ) but the size 16 in the options plus section are way too big so I am stuck wearing clothes that are too big or clothes that currently cause muffin tops and cut in marks cos I can't find anything that actually fits. :(

Oh well wont be happening for too much longer hopefully
Cheers
Jodie
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZZJpxa/]
[/url]
HOW WOULD YOU MAKE A MARRIAGE WORK?
Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a truck. -- Ricky, age 10
Jodie91

Postby hysterical_oliver » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:01 pm

Jodie91 wrote:Another interesting clothing size thing (well for me anyway) is the fact that size 16 in the everyday racks at target are too small for me (Just :) ) but the size 16 in the options plus section are way too big so I am stuck wearing clothes that are too big or clothes that currently cause muffin tops and cut in marks cos I can't find anything that actually fits. :(

Oh well wont be happening for too much longer hopefully
Cheers
Jodie

I hear that!! Right between sizes is theeeee most annoying place to be! I have to knuckle down and get serious again because it's driving me up the wall :evil: :evil: :evil:
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Postby loveat116 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:26 pm

clothes sizes are definatly getting larger.

I have bought a size 4 pair of jeans and a 6 pants in Country Road. NO WAY am I a 4 or a 6. Its vanity sizing, people feel better about themselves so they buy it.

Generally, I am an 8 everywhere, I can usually fit into a 6 if its looser fitting or not tight. I have found after getting to 54kg i can no longer fit into 10's, they're just waaaay too big. Everything looks like a sack. Clothing stores that vanity size are Sportsgirl, Country Road, Target, and overseas brands such as Abercrombie and Fitch (they have size 00!)

If you go to second hand stores or op shops you'll find that the sizes are quite small in relation to modern clothing.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby yoyogirl88 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:07 am

I said it over in C & C but omg damn those clothing sizes. I have a size 16 pair of pants that fit wonderfully a size 12 or 14 pair (having a blank out moment) that fit me at 92Kgs and are now HUGE on me, I also have a size 22 dress that fits quite nice and there is NO way im a 22.
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:30 pm

I buy most of my clothes on Ebay. It's usually a complete gamble whether it will fit or not. I bought a pair of size 12 jeans thinking I'd wear them when I lost some weight. They fit now, as do some other size 12 clothes, which at first was very good for my ego. But I quickly realised that I used to wear size 12 clothes ten years ago and ten kilos ago so something is very wrong with this picture!
EvilWombatQueen

Return to Weight loss Talk