It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:38 pm

Free Newsletter

watermelons..

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

watermelons..

Postby leeni.s2 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:57 pm

does anyone know why watermelon isn't as good as other fruits?
someone once told me it was like 90% water or something..
after getting the kate morgan list of allowed and not allowed fruits, i was shocked to see that i cant eat watermelon.. and i lovvvve watermelons!!

start date; 15 feb 08
first mini goal: 88kg ; much needed haircut. - accomplished
second mini goal: 80kg ; not sure yet
leeni.s2

Re: watermelons..

Postby electrongirl » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:13 pm

it could be higher in fructose than others perhaps?
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Fiona25 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:29 pm

What fruit are you allowed to have on KM diet?

Apples are actually quite a bit higher in carbs and therefore sugar than watermelon so i'd be interested to see if apples are allowed and if so why. I'll bet you can't have bananas either right? A cup of mashed banana is like 200 calories! Very high in carbs. I usually only have a banana once a week for that reason, pity coz I love em!

All fruit is high in carbs/sugars where as most veggies (except for potato, corn etc) aren't. I limit to 1 piece of fruit a day so I don't OD on carbs. Its weird because fruit is really good for you, pity about the carbs :x
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby leeni.s2 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:12 pm

yeah i thought fruit being so good for you, you could eat a fair amount of it, but the KM diet allows you two serves of fruit a day and thats it.. which will be tough because i do love to eat fruits.

suprisingly apples and bananas are in the acceptaable list. although, it does say that 1 banana max a day.
other fruits you can eat are:
apricots
blackberries
cherries
graps
mango
kiwi fruit
nectarine
orange
peach
pear
rockmelon
strawberries

fruits we cant eat are:
dried/canned fruits
fruit/veg juices (which is a pity, cos i liked having the v8 juices)
figs
dates
pineapples
& watermelons!

i start the KM program tomorrow.. eee, hopefully i can stick to ittt!

start date; 15 feb 08
leeni.s2

Postby MagicGirl79 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:58 pm

Watermelon is very high in sugar, which if it doesn't get burnt will get converted to fat. So I'd say that is why it's not allowed.

Apple & Bananas are not as high in sugar but are higher in other carbs (like starch) I'd say. And the carbs that you eat get burnt first before other nutrients, so they're probably assuming that as long as you're limited to 2 pieces of fruit a day then it won't be a significant carb intake. Plus they're good carbs, unlike the carbs found in things like white bread etc.

Anyway, hope that makes a bit of sense... Good Luck with it all!
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby Fiona25 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:55 pm

I had a look on CK and a serve of apple has 13grams sugar and watermelon 9grams so i'm a bit confused!

The only pattern I can see is that watermelon is low in fibre where as the other fruits (I don't know about all of them, but most) are high in fibre. So maybe its a fibre thing????

I have no idea but i'd love to know!

Fiona25

Postby deej » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:57 pm

Yeah..I'm guessing they're not allowing it for it's minimal nutritional value. the calories in watermelon are fairly empty...mainly sugars and water, but very little in the way of fibre, vitamins etc. Other fruits may be more fructose dense, but also have heaps more fibre, nutritional value.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wEsR60S/]
[/url]
deej

Postby electrongirl » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:03 pm

these diets never made much sense to me anyway!!

Its probably got something to do with the ketosis or whatever it is that they want you to be in.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby leeni.s2 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:17 pm

yeah it is all pretty confusing.. oh well, ill just stick to the less they have and see how it works,
thanks for all the answers though..

annd.. what's CK?

start date; 15 feb 08
leeni.s2

Postby electrongirl » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:38 pm

Calorie King, its a website where you can look up foods and keep track of your calories etc.

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Jodie91 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:48 pm

Agree with electrongirl these diets make little sence to me too . They want you to be in keitosis however to be in it you need to be consuming less them 60gms of carbs per day after a bit of research i found out that two KM shakes have 59 gms of carbs in them so if you even have one banana or apple you are already out of keitosis. Therefore loosing the benefits of keitosis. Part of the reason I stoped doing the KM program. Not that I am saying stop the diets if it works for you go for it keitosis or not.
Cheers
Jodie
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZZJpxa/]
[/url]
HOW WOULD YOU MAKE A MARRIAGE WORK?
Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a truck. -- Ricky, age 10
Jodie91

Postby Fiona25 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:47 am

deej wrote:Yeah..I'm guessing they're not allowing it for it's minimal nutritional value. the calories in watermelon are fairly empty...mainly sugars and water, but very little in the way of fibre, vitamins etc. Other fruits may be more fructose dense, but also have heaps more fibre, nutritional value.

That sounds about right deej, thanks! I'm understanding it now :)

As far as 60 grams of carbs a day :shock: I couldn't live like that, i'd barely last a day. Most days I have 130-150 grams and even dropping to 100 would be seriously hard AND I hardly eat bread/pasta, never rice etc I'd love to find out if my body burnt fat in the ketosis state like they claim, but I can't do that low a carb diet to find out and even if I did, I wouldn't last long and i'd pack the weight back on anyway.

So is KM low carb too? Lots of meat, minimal fruit/veg etc?

Fiona25

Postby Tarz » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:01 am

I can't believe that they say don't have watermelon!!! I am in shcock :shock: , i have been having a piece of watermelon most nights for dessert thinking it was a great choice, mainly water and fruit.... I love watermelon!!!!!! :( I am soo going to miss it.
Tarz

Postby Jodie91 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:31 am

the KM diet incourages certain fruits and veges and sells itself as a keitosis diet but a real keitosis deit is as I said less then 60gms of carbs. Most days most people on KM are not going to be in keitosis. A friend of mine is on a real keitosis diet and it is disgusting he eats butter straight and drinks full fat cream from the jug he eats no friut and very very little vegies but lots and lots of meat and fat YUK it is gross to watch him eat a tube of garlic butter sometimes I wonder if he is just doing it to gross us out, but he thinks it is working. I couldn't do it.
The KM diet on the other hand seems to be more sensible and seems to work so again do what works for you.

Just for other peoples info here is the stats on watermelon (to keep it on topic :))
1 cup of diced or balled watermelon 45 Cals, 0.2 gms Fat, 11.3gms Carbs, 0.6gms fibre, 9.3gms sugar
1 cup apple 65 Cals, 0.1gms fat, 17.3gms carbs, 3gms fibre, 13gms sugar
Hmm on that data I would be going for the watermelon still dont understand why KM doesn't allow it. Maybe ask at your next weigh in.
Cheers
Jodie
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZZJpxa/]
[/url]
HOW WOULD YOU MAKE A MARRIAGE WORK?
Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a truck. -- Ricky, age 10
Jodie91

Postby SarahC » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:51 pm

:? I thought watermelon was one of the lower-carb fruits. It's definitely not as high as say an apple, or a banana...

Watermelon is also extremely alkalising, which is why I like to have that as a pre or post workout snack. That, and the small amount of sugar... and the yummy coolness :D

I love watermelon!
SarahC

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk