It is currently Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:35 am

Free Newsletter

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: watermelons..

Postby emmaline » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:00 pm

oh dear!
watermelon (and EVIL green grapes) is my favourite fruit!

Postby NewMe » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:27 pm

This has been quite enlightening. I eat lots of fruit and maybe that can be contributing to me not losing weight as much? Miost of the time I have more than 2 serves of fruit a day, so maybe I should stick to the 2 fruit and 5 veg rule to see some extra KGs come off.

Postby butterflyaway » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:47 pm

Although I don't know much about the Kate Morgan diet, I'd say it would have something to do with the Glycemic Index of watermelon which is between 75-80. Low GI is classified as 55 and under so watermelon is a food that rapidly increases bloodsugar shortly after ingesting it. This rapid increase then results in sky rocketing blood sugar which forces more insulin to be released to mop up the surge and store it as fat not giving you enough time to burn it off and making you feel more hungry shortly afterwards. Watermelon also has very little fibre. A diet high in fruits and fructose also increases the load on the Liver as fructose is digested differently than other sugars so I'd recommend eating fruit as a part of a meal so that it is digested with other complex carbs and protein etc.
Choice is something that empowers you, make sure that you're making the right one.

Postby Luly » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:40 pm

Watermelons get their red colour from high levels of lycopene - this is the same substance which makes tomatoes red. Lycopene has been found to have high anti-cancer properties - so definitely don't exclude watermelons from your diets. A slice or two a day will not hurt, and it's certanly a refreshing snack when the weather is warm.
I'm new at this, so I hope I'm making sense! :D

Postby bferbear » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:48 pm

My mother has developed diabetes as a result of some medication she is taking for muscular dystrophy. At xmas time I bought some watermelon and it sent her sugar levels crazy. She said she had not eaten anything that reacted that quickly before, it was almost instantaneous.

Postby holly80 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:01 pm

wow what a shame. I love watermelon. Its my fav fruit :( looks like not anymore.

Every 5 kilos off= Pandora Charm

SW: 86kg 31/8/06
GW: 75kg

Rule your mind or it will rule you.You may delay, but time will not !!!

Postby leeni.s2 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:46 pm

wow, thanks for all the feedback!
it really helps me understand about the foods im eating :)

start date; 15 feb 08
first mini goal: 88kg ; much needed haircut. - accomplished
second mini goal: 80kg ; not sure yet

Return to Weight loss Talk