It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:21 am

Free Newsletter

Party Idea

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Party Idea

Postby butterflyaway » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:22 pm

Hi All,

I had this idea a while back and I just wanted some opinions on it as I had asked the fiance and he said that he would doubt many people would want to attend such a party.

I thought that I could throw my own 'Healthy food' party where only nutritionally beneficial food was served. There are so many great foods out there that are yummy and good for you along with heaps that I want to try that it would be good to get a whole bunch of likeminded people together and get us all to make a little bit of something that is good for us and share our ideas. I'm so sick of going to parties, bbq's etc and eating crap like chips, crackers, dips etc that are so fat laden and calorie dense. I want to throw a 'guilt free' party to celebrate healthy food and eating...what do you think?

Would you attend such a party?

Choice is something that empowers you, make sure that you're making the right one.

Re: Party Idea

Postby Jisgone » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:24 pm

i think its a great idea :) u could swap recipes of foods u enjoyed and not feel bad about eating anything!

Postby ali76 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:26 pm

I'd be the first one there! I think it's a great idea...i think most of my girlfriends would think the same as well. I think the negativity of a healthy food party would come from most guys who don't need to worry about what they eat (like my bf - he'd say the same!!).

Its sad that good food has such a bad rep as being not nice to eat!! If you could get rid of that stigma, I think it's geat!

You go girl!!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)

Postby Fiona25 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:45 pm

That is a fantastic idea and yes, i'd DEFINITELY go! Infact, i'd love to throw one myself too :D

Let me know if you want any food ideas - FUN!
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!

Postby milkyway » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:33 pm

I reckon it's a great idea but don't tell people in advance - spring it on them :) Maybe they won't even realise they're eating healthy alternatives and get a lovely big shock :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg

Postby yoyogirl88 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:25 am

OOh me and the bf are moving into our own place in a couple of months that would be great way to feed housewarming guests (especially since im not the only "loser" in the lot). When you get some ideas id love to read.
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9

Postby bferbear » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:55 am

Instead of standard dips and bickies you could have hommus, salsa and low fat tzatziki with veges to dip. Mini tuna and corn wraps (make up a tuna and creamed corn mix, spread on mountain bread, roll up then cut into small scrolls), some anti-pasto items are really good too like marinated capsicum, sundried tomatoes etc. Nuts are always a good one when people are standing around having a drink. Lettuce cups with sauteed mushrooms and garlic inside them. Another idea is to cut some wraps into small squares then bake in the oven till crisp. Use these as a base for canapes with smoked salmon and capers, lite philly and tomato, tomato, basil and mini boconcini (my all time favourite).

Just a few thoughts that you might be able to expand on.

Postby Tarz » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:19 am

My mums side of the family went sorta healthy over the past few years which means every christmas for that side of the family we don't have chips and lollies. Instead we usually do the following:
Platter full of summer fruits like kiwi fruit and rockmelo and water melon (although i did jst learn that watermelon isn't that great for you)
A vegie platter of julienned celery, carrot, brocolini, capsicum and snow peas with a healthy dip.
and my favorite,
i big bowl filled with many berries, blueberries, cherries, rasberries, strawberries, blackberries, mulberies, goose berries (all sorts) with a riccota cheese dip that has low fat ricotta, honey, cointreau (doesn't have to have but gives it a little kick) and lime juice. its so yummy together. I look forward to it every year. :D

I love having the option of healthy food. I find if its just chips i will sit there and constantly eat them and feel guilty after wards but if i have the choice i straight away go for the healthy option cos its yummier, i can sit there and graze and not feel bad. :D

The idea of a guilt free party i think is great but not everyone would think so, i tried it with some of my friends once, i asked if they'd be happy to have berries and fruits instead of chips and they got grouchy at me and said no. They hated the idea! They said it wouldn't be as fun. :|

Postby emmaline » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:18 am

That's a great idea!
Just make sure your guests are okay with the idea and don't see it as an insult (oversensitive people like me hahaha)

My best friend is so good like this
Whenever we go to her house she always has a massive plate of veggies and a healthy dip for us.
And she usually makes up some delicious pasta with vegies and a tomato based sauce...
Last time she even did fruit salad with yoghurt

I find when I'm around people I tend to eat like crazy... not sure why!
But if the food is healthy, I can do this guilt free.
And I think encouraging those around you to eat well, even if its just getting more of the RDI of veggies in, that's great!

Postby Moomoo » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:27 pm

Slightly different but I went to a party once where we all had to bring a food that we had never tried.
There where lots of strange things there but it was pretty good, Lots of laughing at the funny faces people pulled when trying strange dishes!
I'd go to the healthy party but only because the person was my friend. Not because of what it is - if that makes sense?!

Postby Kimmie » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:43 am

I tend to find healthy options at a party a gratefully received. I *never* throw a party without the veggies and dip, and I always get thanks for it. A couple of weeks ago I went to a BBQ and instead of bringing chips like everyone else, I brought grapes (largely for myself so I wouldn't eat the chips), and many of the guests (the girls mostly lol) thanked me for bringing grapes. They were so relieved they didn't have to sit their like a dill, watching everyone else snack while they had to behave! (I know how they feel) :P

Anyway, I think a healthy food party is a great idea -- maybe call it a "no junk food" party? It might put off less people that way?

Return to Weight loss Talk