It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:44 am

Free Newsletter

Really motivated but....

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Really motivated but....

Postby NewMe » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:03 am

Hi guys,

Well I am really motivated! That's great and all BUT I have yet to start exercising to lose weight due to pelvic inflammation (I had a baby 12 weeks ago and it was traumatic on me and my body). I am eating a lot better though. I am walking a lot and doing lots of chasing the kids and housework but really itching to do some decent exercise. Problem is I end up in a lot of pain just from walking, and I can't take anything for it due to breastfeeding. So unfair. Can anyone suggest some gentle but weight lossing exercises? Or am I just dreaming?

Re: Really motivated but....

Postby loveat116 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:33 am

I would wait until you feel 100% until you start doing more vigorous exercise.

Housework and walking is great! For me and most people losing weight is 80% diet, 20% exercise, so don't stress about it too much! Hope you are feeling better soon!
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!

Postby ali76 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:51 am

I's great that you're motivated but you need to listen to your body - esp so soon after having a baby....congratulations!!

I'd stick to the walking and house work....maybe even invest in some hand weights (or use cans of food, etc) for your upper body...arms, etc?
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:58 am

Could you start with arm exercises until your pelvic inflammation subsides? You can either get some light hand weights or use 440g food tins or bottles of water. It will only raise your heart rate a little, but it will helps you start building muscle which will both tone your arms and get you burning a few more calories while resting.

Here is a link to some upper body toning exercises using hand weights: ... r_body.htm

Whatever you do, don't push yourself too hard. It's better to give yourself a chance to recover fully before starting your fitness routine rather than pushing it and causing yourself damage or prolonging your infection.

Good luck!

Postby big_love » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:00 pm

suck your tum right in..imagine me tying a piece of string around the bottom of your rib cage....if your let it out, it will hurt....hold for 20 secs, recover, repeat. Also, bum flex's...can be done anywhere...maybe pilates or some gentle yoga...otherwise I think the housework and walking is ok...goodluck, hope you recover well and that bub is doing ok :mrgreen:

Postby kittykat84 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:21 pm

You could also try some low impact exercise like yoga or pilates. That will help strengthen your core and build muscle so when you feel up to walking etc again you will be capable of burning more calories in the process!!

Postby Mandie » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:31 pm

The others have made some good suggestions regarding gentle exercise.

In regards to the pain, you can take regular paracetamol while breast feeding. Take two tablets, regularly at 4 times per day, and that should help with the pain. (btw, I'm a doctor, so I know what I'm talking about - but if you aren't sure, check with your GP).

Good luck!

Postby kittykat84 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:56 pm

You could also try heat packs to help with the inflammation and pain!

Postby MagicGirl79 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:10 pm

Not real sure whether this is suitable or not with the inflammation, but how about swimming? It's a great way to lose weight and also fairly gentle. You could do a few laps breast stroke etc and that wouldn't put too much pressure on your back or pelvis.

But your GP might advise against this in case of further infection with the inflammation, so perhaps you should double check that first.

Return to Weight loss Talk