It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:00 pm

Free Newsletter

Need some advice

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Need some advice

Postby kittykat84 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:18 pm

Hi Everyone,

So far, I have been losing weight just by being sensible about what I eat and exercising as much as I can. I have lost 3.8kg in 6 weeks. Do you think that in order to continue my weight loss, or to lose at a faster rate (I'm aiming for at least 0.7 - 1kg per week) I need to start doing something different like counting calories? I have no problem in changing what I am doing, just thought I'd find some other methods to help my weight loss along!!! I feel like I'm doing a lot of exercise but not really seing a lot of results (Even though I lost 900g this week, previous weeks I have only lost 100 - 300 g)

Any advice/ constructive critisiscm would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Katie
kittykat84

Re: Need some advice

Postby LaurenJ » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:26 pm

Im a big fan of calorie counting. I have a little calorie book, and I figured out what I needed to maintain my weight then subtracted enough to lose a kilo a week, and if I stick to it I generally lose more than that. Im very overweight, and I actually do a quite active job..... I find that I lose a good amount of weight on 1500 calories a day, but if you dont have much to lose you may want to try eating less than that.
Image Me BeforeImageMe After
LaurenJ

Postby Siana-leah » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:34 pm

If you wanted to try calorie counting ...try calorieking.com.au
it will give you an idea of how much your normal food is for each day so you can see if there is something
you could eliminate.
personally i think small steady weight loss is easier to keep off in the end...if you think you can handle it go for it...
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wWJeIU2/]
[/url]
Siana-leah

Postby kittykat84 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:06 pm

I still have 13kgs to lose, i joined CK and they recommend I have 1400 calories per day. Just a question, I went to the gym this morning and did squats holding a 6kg dumbell, what would that come under in the exercise section/?
kittykat84

Postby Mandie » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:26 pm

squats comes under calisthenics i think, vigorous if you use a weight

why do you want to lose weight faster? you're losing at a great rate now - the slower the weight comes off, the more likely it is to stay off. if you restrict yourself further and lose the weight more quickly, you will have bigger changes when you hit goal and you will be more likely to stack the weight back on. if i were you, i'd keep doing what i was doing - 3.8kg in 6 weeks is between 0.5-1kg per week and it's a great, sustainable effort
Mandie

Postby kittykat84 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:36 pm

You have a point mandie. I think I was just getting disheartened that some weeks I was losing 200g, but I guess weeks like this when I lost 900g makes up for that. I think I will start counting my calories and hopefully the weight will keep coming off as it has been.

Thanks for the advice :D
kittykat84

Postby MagicGirl79 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:07 pm

My trainer at the gym says that weight loss is 70% food and 30% exercise. So you can exercise all you want, but if you're not eating right or you're eating too much then your weight loss will either be very slow or non-existant.

So even though you're losing at a good rate (I'd love to be losing at that rate!), it might be worthwile checking out Calorie King anyway. Even if you just track your food intake for a week, you'll then have a better understanding of whether you're eating too little or too much. If you are eating correctly, then you'll know that perhaps you might need to increase or alter your exercise.
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby NewMe » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:46 pm

Mandie wrote:why do you want to lose weight faster? you're losing at a great rate now - the slower the weight comes off, the more likely it is to stay off. if you restrict yourself further and lose the weight more quickly, you will have bigger changes when you hit goal and you will be more likely to stack the weight back on.

I just wondered why losing slower means keeping weight off? Not heard this before and just curious as to why that would be. (make me feel better about losing less in one week than others!!).
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wqW2v1C/]
[/url]
NewMe

Return to Weight loss Talk