It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:21 am

Free Newsletter

Kids Food

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Kids Food

Postby Jodie91 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:20 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to put this but I'm sure the mods will move it if need be.

OK my rant for the moment. I have my kids in family day care were I supply the food for the day for them. On monday I packed homemade sultana cake with no icing and home made biscuits with a bit of jam on them. The day carer told me that the cake and bisucits were not allowed. However hot cross buns were ok :? . She also told me that muffins are ok as long as they are not chocolate or choc chip. OK fair enough no chocolate. However I can make muffins with the same sultana cake recipe that i used for the cake that I sent and apparently this is ok :? ( I dont know this for a fact but the fact that muffins are ok seem to indicate this.) It just seems so weird. I also feel that it is a bit harsh to tell me what I can and can not feed my kids when I have to supply the food that no other kids will be eating.

Also my sons school canteen has had to remove all lollies and "junk" food from the menu. Now this is good for schools that have canteens open every day but our schools canteen is only open twice a week for lunch only. I feel that this big push for only healthy food is going to creat other problems. and that when the kids do get to have "junk" food (at parties etc) that they will gorge themselves on it. I personally think that we should be teaching our kids that everything is ok in moderation and not outlawing 'junk' food entirely. We are becomeing too much of a kindergarden state (were we tell everyone what they can and can't do)and that we should be teaching health options and how to restain our selves rather then removing the temptation all together. This will just result in children not knowing how to control themselves when faced with the unhealthy foods.

Just feel that we are continueing to wrap our kids in cotton wool and not letting them live and be kids and enjoying SOME of the great things about being a kid. Maybe I am deluiding myself that it is ok to have all foods in moderation and my kids will grow up to be fat but I dont think so.

Sorry just my rant for today
Cheers
Jodie

PS I will post up when the family day care organisation has got back to me regarding the sultana muffins and let you know if they really are ok.
Jodie91

Re: Kids Food

Postby NewMe » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:25 am

This issue is discussed a lot on a parenting forum I frequent. Apparently the push is coupled with the lean towards healthy foods and also due to allergies. I agree it is pretty insane as to the level of control they are exercising over parents these days and the choices they make for their children. Especially when the guidelines are so inane and confusing. I mean...why is it a muffin is considered healthier than a cake. Carrot and walnut cake wouyld be as healthy as blueberry muffins surely?!!

I also think that if you don't teach kids moderation that they will be WORSE off when living on their own, because they will not have the same environment where all the bad things don't "exist".

I remember every now and then getting custard berliners from the school canteen as a treat. It was a thing to look forward to and made school more bearable!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wqW2v1C/]
[/url]
NewMe

Postby MagicGirl79 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:04 pm

I am constantly amazed at the restrictions that pre-schools put on. My sister has her 2 daughters at a pre-school that has a no chocolate blanket ban. This means no chocolate itself, no chocolate on anything, no chocolate cake, nothing chocoloate flavoured etc etc.

My sister sent the girls to pre-school with some choc-chip muesli bars and they came home with a note that said please don't send these again, no chocolate allowed. For the sake of the 3-4 chips that would actually be in the bars, this is ridiculous... but the one that made me laugh the most: my sister was making a fish cake for one of the girls' birthdays and the recipe said to use M & M's on the top to be the scales. Because of the blanket no-chocolate ban she wasn't allowed to use M & M's, but she was allowed to use Skittles!!! Surely there is just as much sugar in the skittles as there would be in the chocolate!

A bit of common sense would be fantastic! And the chocolate ban can't be due to allergies, because Skittles would be made in a factory where other peanut products are made too.
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby Jodie91 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:13 pm

Yep the chocolate ban seems to be a fav at the moment. Im not allowed to send chocolate muffins but I am allowed to send vanilla muffins with sugar and cinnamin topping :?

My kindy kid got her anzac cookies sent home from kindy the other day and even the director of the kindy couldn't understand why so we asked the woman that is there during lunch time and she said that cookies were not allowed and the director had to corrected her and that they are OK at lunch time. Im mean come on they were homemade too. Seems that I should stop cooking and send my kids to school, child care and kindy with highly processed commercially made junk and it would be ok.

What are we teaching these kids :?

:x :x :x
Sorry this is really peeving me now I just want to scream at the stupidity of this.
Cheers
Jodie
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZZJpxa/]
[/url]
HOW WOULD YOU MAKE A MARRIAGE WORK?
Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a truck. -- Ricky, age 10
Jodie91

Postby Jodie91 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:51 pm

Just got off the phone to the day care people and they are just as confused as I am about the fact that i can't send sultana cake but I can send muffins made using the same recipe. They said that if the day carer had said that no cakes or muffins or any such thing were allowed then they would support it but as she said that muffins are ok they are confused. They just recomended that I either make the muffins instead of the cake or that i send neither to care. So really no wiser as to what is ok and what is not.
Funny thou cos by making the muffins I am probably giving the kids more junk than the small peice of cake that I sent in the first place.
Stupid over the top healthy eating rules :roll:
Cheers
Jodie
[/url]
Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a truck. -- Ricky, age 10
Jodie91

Postby Kimmie » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:00 pm

That is so weird! I'm completely naive to the world of child care, I had no idea they could make arbitrary rules about what you feed your children. It seems almost like a control thing when they make bizarre rules like no cake or biscuits, but hot-cross buns and muffins are OK. It really seems like much of a muchness, and more common sense needs to be applied. Blanket or inflexible rules do tend to lead to silliness.

Jodie, maybe you could just send muffin halves, or make those cute little mini-muffins!
Kimmie

Postby Jodie91 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:18 pm

Yeah Kimmie I was thinking about sending halves but have made piklets which are ok so they will do for now might make some muffins on the weekend thou. I just love cooking pitty so much of the yummy and fun stuff to cook is not good for you
Cheers
Jodie
[/url]
Jodie91

Postby Kimmie » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:34 pm

Haha yep, I guess what applies to us applies to the kiddlies, to an extent. I *love* making banana bread, but I haven't made it for years, since it's so full of sugar and butter and yummy walnuts. My partner just recently discovered I can make banana bread, so he wants me to make a loaf. I don't know if I can survive the temptation! Sorry about the tangent... :P
Kimmie

Postby Diminishing » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:12 pm

I have just entered this realm......my eldeest daughter has just started pre-kindy, and has to take a recess snack. The "rules" over what is allowable/not allowed is immense!

I end up sending her with a bunch of grapes and some water crackers.........

(It is a far cry from the bag of chippies and Space Sticks that my Mum used to send me off with to kindy!)
Lucy xx

Diminishing

Postby chubba momma » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:19 pm

I am looking into my daughter starting kindy soon as she is almost 3 and i have been reading the no's of lunch boxes and what can and cant be brought, so far teh one i find most unusual is they cannot bring ANY drinks from home (as they have a water cooler ) so no juices or anything like that
NO MORE EXCUSES!!
chubba momma

Postby Jodie91 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:06 pm

Yeah we are not allowed anything other then water but atleast my kids can bring that from home :)
Cheers
Jodie
[/url]
Jodie91

Return to Weight loss Talk