It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:49 am

Free Newsletter

Cravings and hormonal imbalance

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Cravings and hormonal imbalance

Postby kalikism » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:01 pm

Hi, I'm Kate and I'm a new member.

I recently lost about 10 kilos and am now down to a healthy BMI of 19.4. I'm on a pretty strict diet (I'd like to think I have great self discipline) and I exercise for an hour (light to moderate) 5 or 6 times a week. The exercise has worked wonders for my shape, but I'm still fighting off those love handles! I know why I still have them - it's because every couple of days I get really strong cravings for sugar and, although most of the time I can fight them, sometimes I just head straight for lollies, or failing that even afew spoons full of honey. At those times it's almost as if I have no control!

I recently had a big problem with my hormones from having terrible reactions to birth control. I think my cravings might be a result of the huge imbalance in my body from having implanon (a birth control implant) inserted and then taken out. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem? Could anyone suggest any herbal remedies or diet changes I could make to curb my troublesome cravings???

I usually try to sip on tea or munch on a carrot but I'd rather get to the cause of the problem than just have to deal with it like that every time. I've been to several doctors and they are of no help at all :(

Any advice or other similar stories would be greatly appreciated! :)
kalikism

Re: Cravings and hormonal imbalance

Postby HappyBella55 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:44 pm

Hi Kate,

Do you think you are craving all these foods because you are on a fairly strict diet?

If you incorporated moderate serving sizes into you daily/weekly food intake you can still loose the weight without feeling deprived.

Also, it could be TTOM?? I know when its TTOM for me I want to devour everything in sight and it's usually 2 weeks before my period starts that I get these cravings.

Also if the doctors aren't able to help you, have they done blood test by the way (to determine if it is hormone related)? It may not be "hormones" related and might be emotional eating? Sit down and analyse why it is that you are craving these certain foods, how you are feeling at the time, did something trigger the urge of wanting to overeat? By finding out you and really listening to the signals your body is telling you, you can find a lot.

Finally, you really don't want to resort to drugs be it natural or man made as really they won't help in your weight loss at all. If diet pills worked we would not have an obesity crisis in the world.
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Re: Cravings and hormonal imbalance

Postby MagicGirl79 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:35 pm

Blackmores makes a sugar craving product - I can't remember what it's called, but it's meant to balance out your blood sugar levels and stop you craving sugar.

I have tried it before and found that it gave me headaches, but I don't really have the sugar cravings that you seem to have, so it might be worthwhile you giving it a go.

Also if you're getting sugar cravings it could be because you're eating foods that have a high GI. Might be worthwhile to do some research and see whether you can adjust your foods to wholegrains, brown rice etc to make sure that you're eating low GI foods that will give you a longer sustained energy.

Just some ideas that might help?
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Return to Weight loss Talk