It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:17 am

Free Newsletter

Artificial Sweetners

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Artificial Sweetners

Postby anthony88 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:12 pm

why are artificial sweetners bad for you????
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w14PlL0/]
[/url]

My First Goal is to be under 110kg reward=gym membership
Christmas '08, i will be under 100kg (BRING IT ON)
~~**IM NOW EATING TO LIVE, NOT LIVING TO EAT**~~
anthony88

Re: Artificial Sweetners

Postby HappyBella55 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:25 pm

Don't quote me on this but I think it causes cancer - what doesn't these days :roll:

I've also read that its not good for you for another reason but I'm scratching my head trying to recall exactly why its bad for you :?
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:23 am

A recent study showed that if rats ate artificially sweetened food they actually gained 20% more weight than rats eating food sweetened with glucose. One theory as to why that happens is that when the body eats something sweet it adjusts its metabolism to deal with it. Artificially sweetened food confuses the body and disrupts its ability to adjust the metabolism. It cannot register the amount of calories consumed and metabolism slows. Plus the body goes on to consume more calories to compensate for the calories it thought it should have got in the first place.

This is only a recent study, however, so it will be interesting to see what further research discovers in this area.

Article link: http://www.voanews.com/english/2008-02-15-voa26.cfm
EvilWombatQueen

Postby SarahC » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:07 am

Wow, that is interesting, I haven't heard that before.

I guess because it's artificial, the body processes it as a toxin and tries to get rid of it asap. Hence the warning "excess consumption can have a laxative effect" lol.

I have also heard that they can increase appetite...

Stevia is the best sweetner I have found. It is just a herb, so it's completely natural, and has no caloric value either. Yum :D
SarahC

Postby bferbear » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:33 am

The other thing to remember is that virtually everything causes cancer and weight gain in rats.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfrtWWa/]
[/url]
bferbear

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:04 pm

SarahC wrote:Stevia is the best sweetner I have found. It is just a herb, so it's completely natural, and has no caloric value either. Yum :D

I love stevia! I only use it in coffee, but I've been thinking of getting some in liquid or granulated form so I can use it in cooking. I'm not sure if it would have the same effect as the artificial sweeteners they used in the study I mentioned. You would think in theory it would since the body would read 'sweet' and think 'calories' when no calories are to be found. Unfortunately most of the research into stevia focuses on its use to treat diabetes, blood pressure and whether it is carcinogenic (it's not). There isn't much to say whether it contributes to the obesity epidemic the same way they're now thinking artificial sweeteners do.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby kittykat84 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:23 pm

I'm pretty sure the laxative effect can be caused if the product is sweented by a product called Sorbitol. That's what we use in the hospital to make people go poo poo!! There's probably only a small amount but that's why that say 'excess consumption'!!
kittykat84

Postby wilmawalrus » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:06 pm

how does stevia come - is it a tablet like equal? I would much prefer to have something natural in my skinny coffee, rather than chemicals.

Lisa

Finished detox but staying on track - and it's paying off!!
wilmawalrus

Postby SarahC » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:02 pm

You can get it as powder, liquid or tablets. Have a check in your local health food store :wink:
SarahC

Postby HappyBella55 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:40 pm

EvilWombatQueen wrote:A recent study showed that if rats ate artificially sweetened food they actually gained 20% more weight than rats eating food sweetened with glucose. One theory as to why that happens is that when the body eats something sweet it adjusts its metabolism to deal with it. Artificially sweetened food confuses the body and disrupts its ability to adjust the metabolism. It cannot register the amount of calories consumed and metabolism slows. Plus the body goes on to consume more calories to compensate for the calories it thought it should have got in the first place.

This is only a recent study, however, so it will be interesting to see what further research discovers in this area.

Article link: http://www.voanews.com/english/2008-02-15-voa26.cfm

OMG that's so interesting!

The only time I have artificial sweetener is when I'm drinking instant coffee. For some reason I can't drink instant coffee without the sweetener but give me a real coffee and I hate drinking it with sugar or sweeteners - go figere :?
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Return to Weight loss Talk