It is currently Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:53 am

Free Newsletter

Digestion - I.B.S

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Digestion - I.B.S

Postby Moomoo » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:47 pm

Just curious...

I have IBS (Irritable Bowl Syndrome) Which I think was caused by long term bad diet & fitness) :oops:
The doctor prescribed me some drugs (a few years ago) that were meant to cure the symptoms. They worked OK

The IBS has been so much better in the last year - I have been on and off dieting in this time but I also had my Gall bladder taken out in January 07

Recently I haven't had the bad symptoms at all (Maybe because I've been trying so hard on my diet?) However... All I need is 1 big meal out, a couple of days of bad food or if I get anxious/excited about something and thats it, it comes back.

The last couple of weeks I've had 1 1/2 weeks off of the diet and for over a week of that I have had upset stomach, tummy cramps hot flushes etc I guess thats why I only put on 1kg!

Does anyone else suffer like this?

Has anyone had their gall bladder out and had any digestive problems/has it fixed your problems?

Re: Digestion - I.B.S

Postby Karnak » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:47 pm

Sounds like we're a little similar. I have had my gall bladder removed (July 2000) and also "used" to suffer from IBS. Since I've done the diet/lifestyle change thing I have had no IBS incidents that I can recall whereas they used to be a daily/weekly occurance. During that time I have binged and eaten huge meals because I am human and fall off the wagon at times but I'm pretty sure I had no IBS repercusions.

Not sure whether it means that I'm "better" in anyway or that my body is able to cope better as there is too many variables involved. For instance if I binged on a greasy caesar salad from a particular resturant that used to trigger IBS before (god I can remember when I thought that dish was healthy !!) would it still be a trigger as now I'd of eaten my all-bran and rolled oats breakfast 3 hours prior ?. Also quality of food used to be a trigger for me which removed some resturants from my repoitoire.

Not really helping here am I. To be honest I think its diet and perhaps fibre. Looking back now I can't think of any of my key triggers that were very fibreous meal or ones packed with vegies but its not like vegies were a huge part of my diet back then.

Look my heart goes out to you coz I know what your going through. The level of fear and panic that sets in when an IBS incident hits is horrible and unless you've gone through it you can't truely know what its like. Hang in there :)

Just a thought - perhaps try some metamucil or fibre thing before you go out to eat - not sure if theres any logic to my thoughts but its worth a try.

Return to Weight loss Talk