It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:59 pm

Free Newsletter

HELP

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

HELP

Postby Siana-leah » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:25 pm

I posted a topic in the parenting part of the forum....
i just want some advice from mothers on the forum....
a lot of ppl come here and im kinda desperate so sorry about posting in the wrong place.

Ok so I need help from the mothers out there!
My son is a month over 3 yrs old...and apparently is not communicating enough to adults...they cant understand him...
I understand him most of the time....but i think hes using mostly one or two words and not sentences which he is apparently supposed to be doing.
Two people have said they can refer him to a speech therapist...but me and my husband are not keen on doing that...and he wont be seen by one for 12 months cos of the waiting list...
does anyone have some advice on what I could do with him myself? Im feeling a little down about it.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wWJeIU2/]
[/url]
Siana-leah

Re: HELP

Postby molligrub » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:52 pm

Hi there, my nephew is 2 and a half and only just starting to say words, up until now has just been meaningless babble. What you can try and do is when you speak to him, get down on his level, speak slowly and clearly and let him see your mouth as you speak. If he pronounces words wrong, keep looking at him and repeating very slowly and clearly the right way, and if you can get him to repeat.

Another thing is, if kids are understood by parents and get what they want, there is no incentive for them to learn how to speak. Instead of instinctively giving what he wants, withhold as much as you can until he verbalizes his requests more clearly. He'll cotton on quickly when he wants something!!! This is what I found has worked. Also I can't emphasize reading, reading, reading to kids. It's the best way for them to pick up language and pronunciation, and they love it!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wnqxaGD/]
[/url]

I am gonna exercise my butt off!! Literally!!
molligrub

Postby sunshine » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:40 pm

To be honest, I would maybe wait just a little longer and see how he goes. I have 3 children, my eldest daughter was literally (i am not kidding) saying words at 9 months old, and she hasn't stopped talking since :lol: My son who is now 5 and speaks wonderfully, basically only said about 2 words when he turned 3, I remember after his birthday asking about getting him referred. In the months after his 3rd birthday he gradually started saying more and more, so we didn't worry about intervention. I was told that boys are slower to develop language skills than girls and because he had a very chatty, smart sister who spoke for him, he basically couldn't be bothered!!

Now my youngest daughter is turning 3 next week, and she talks in sentences, we can understand her, although she substitutes words like "floor" she will say "sore" "track" she will say "sack" but that is normal for kids to substitute sounds. I can understand how you feel, he sounds exactly like my son, but maybe give it a couple more months and then see how he is going. You are probably already reading to him, so that is a good thing to try, we have some great basic picture books that have so many clear photos of everything, and we used to read them, point to the pic of the house, car etc and get them to say it too. I hope I have helped, good luck.
sunshine

Postby Diminishing » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:54 pm

Sweets, first of all I can totally relate to your concerns.

I know you have said you don;t want to go down the path of getting a speech therapist, & there certainly is a lot of stuff you can do yourselves at home.

But if I was in your shoes I would maybe get his hearing checked out first? Just so you know what you are dealing with: whether it is a speech issue, a hearing issue, or just a normal developmental issue?

My son is 2.5 and I had some concerns over his total lack of verbal communication. I was aware that I couldn't compare him to my elder daughter (who was babbling 2 word sentences at 12 months) but I still had a maternal gut feel that something with my son was not quite right. Had his hearing checked and it turns out he has some middle and inner ear issues. Grommets have assisted and then we went along just once or twice for Audio Verbal Therapy (where the practitioner teaches you as the parent, along with the child, all sorts of tricks to get them to speak/pronounce more easily.)

He still has some hearing impairment (which will fix itself over the next few growth spurts, hopefully) but now that we know what we are dealing with, it is so much easier.

I honestly believe that singing along to music/singing along with music DVD's (Wiggles/Justine Clark etc) and READING with them every single day helps.

Good luck either way!
Lucy xx

Diminishing

Postby holly80 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:37 pm

I dont have children yet, but I work in childcare. Children are individuals and you cant judge one from another. I would consider taking him to speech around the three and a half to four years old though, so if there is a problem (and I am not saying there is) then you can get it sorted out before your little one goes to school...

Does he go to daycare at all, they tend to pick up a heap of language there.

Holly

Every 5 kilos off= Pandora Charm

SW: 86kg 31/8/06
CW:
WL:
GW: 75kg

Rule your mind or it will rule you.You may delay, but time will not !!!
holly80

Postby Siana-leah » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:24 pm

Hey!!
Thanks very much guys....i think i just got a little scared is all.....i am doing the reading and trying to get him to slow down and look at me when i pronounce things....to be honest i think i will put him down for the speech therapy and by the time it swings around (about 12 months) and find that there is no problem then i will just cancel....i think you guys are right...i think i might just wait a little longer...
he goes to daycare once a week and he loves being there so i think it is only a matter of time....
thanks a lot guys....he is a very normal kid and everybody loves him and hes a very sociable boy so i dont think i have anything to worry about....
thanks very much for your advice....i appreciate it very much...it made my day!! :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wWJeIU2/]
[/url]
Siana-leah

Return to Weight loss Talk