It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:24 am

Free Newsletter

A SPECIAL INVITATION

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

A SPECIAL INVITATION

Postby admin » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:30 pm

Hi everyone.

Today I was contacted by Patricia Flokis, a journalist writing for a major national women's lifestyle magazine who is trying to find real women for an upcoming story on emotional and disordered eating and how to overcome it.

Specifically, Particia wants to discuss things like the way many of us find ourselves constantly thinking about food, succumbing to fad diets, feeling guilty about our food choices, skipping meals, cutting out food groups etc, and how we can overcome it.

Patricia is hoping to speak to women aged 23 to 40 who would be willing to share their stories which would appear in the magazine. For more information or to introduce yourself and your story to Patricia, feel free to contact her directly by email at: [email protected].

Perhaps you could mention what a help it is to visit weightloss.com.au and talk about these issues with friends who understand what you're going through and can offer invaluable advice!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Scott. :D
admin
Site Admin

Postby Groovychic » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:37 pm

Thanks Scott. I have emailed her but not sure if I will fit the criteria as I don't know that I eat for emotional reasons. I just want to eat!!!! I just love food too much!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Fairie » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:38 pm

I don't know if I would have the confidence to talk about why or what contributated to my weight problem to a stranger for others to read about.

I don't have to worry though as I'm over 40 so my story would not be interesting enough for her readers or maybe I'm not a real woman. :?
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby Dolly » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:16 pm

I'm also past the use by date (way over 40) and my eating is not emotional, I eat because food tastes so good.
Dolly

Postby serenity » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:12 am

Hi, not sure how id feel talking to someone about it like that, but i suppose i fit the criteria. Im 26 and am an emotional eater....well, i was, have been on top of it for over a month now. I think the really hard thing would be, do i even know why i ate emotionally? I could have some rambling guesses, but i really think it comes down to heaps of little things, low self esteem, boredom, poor health (which overeating only makes worse), a compulsive need to do something with my hands and mouth (a bit like a smoker) and i suppose because there is some damn fine food out there!
Anyway, dont want to really leap around with my hand in the air, but if she really needs someone, i suppose id be happy to talk to her.
'To Trudge'
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
serenity

Postby admin » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:27 am

Hi again everyone.

Emotional eating is quite a broad issue and doesn't only relate to eating because of past dramatic traumas or deep emotional hurts.

Simply eating for eatings sake and not being able to resist eating certain foods are forms of emotional eating.

For example, my wife brought home a couple of pieces of chocolate cake the other day and I haven't been able to take my mind off them until they were both eaten. Despite wanting to lose a couple of kilos, I couldn't help myself and ate the whole lot over two nights and got great pleasure out of eating them (with ice cream), followed by feelings of guilt and anger at myself for having been so "weak".

Now that's an example of emotional eating - great pleasure from the food itself, followed by equally powerful negative emotions such as guilt and anger.

As for being shy about talking about it, there are 2 things to keep in mind:

1. The story isn't likely to be all about you, at most if you are mentioned it may only be your first name and a few other general details (age, etc) and of course you can ask Patricia not to publish any of your personal details.

2. Think of this as being simply a case of adding your experience to a collection of others that may help people who don't know that they have this problem or what to do about it.

After all, isn't that what we're all doing here - talking and sharing our experiences with others so that we can help each other?

Emotional eating is one of the biggest contributors to many of us being overweight and anything we can do to help understand it and come up with strategies to deal with it can only be a good thing.

Please help if you can.

PS - Patricia's just sent me an email that said:

"Finding real people to comment is often difficult because people are so concerned about being recognized etc. Which, of course, is understandable. You can tell your members that I have no problem showing them copy for them to check before publication and they can contact me for more information without feeling that they're obligated to commit to this article. I won't push them."

Hope this alleviates any concerns you may have about helping.

admin
Site Admin

Postby Groovychic » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:55 pm

Well I have heard back from Patricia and she seems very nice. My emotional eating is basically that I love food and eat things that aren't good for me and feel very very guilty afterward. So Scott you are not alone there that's for sure. See I can hear the easter eggs calling out to me as I type!!! They are saying Rochelle Rochelle come eat us. We want you to eat us!!! :lol: I'm not worried about her putting my name in or a picture, as long as I look fab in the pic of course......hahaha!!! But I'm not totally sure I will fit into the criteria as I haven't really been one for fad diets! Everyone around me knows I am trying to lose weight, tho they all say you aren't really overweight you look fine etc etc etc! But I feel uncomfortable with the weight I am so I want to lose it. O just shut up easter eggs!!!! Man I gotta take them to my girlfriends place before I eat them I think!!! Ok guys I'm not a psycho woman, I'm just trying to add a little humour to your days. I don't hear voices really!!! What's that big chocolate god......oooo you want me to eat chocolate!!! :lol: :lol: Only joking guys. Hope I have put a smile on your faces!
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Thanks

Postby admin » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:24 pm

Groovychic,

you sure have!

I found your message very funny.

Thanks for the chuckle!

I'll add both our names to the list of people that hear chocolate cake and easter eggs talking for when the journalists from psychologists weekly come callin'!

See you in the padded-cell!

admin
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:26 pm

Thank you Rochelle, had a good laugh.

I'm lucky with easter eggs I can't stand how they taste, why doesn't Cadbury make their easter egg taste like a block of Cadbury chocolate? Oh, well, better for me I guess .....

Did you know if you speak to Patricia only via email or do you actually have to speak to her on the phone? I find it easier, less embarrassing etc when its computerised, makes it feel like its not so personal somehow.
[/url]
Angel

Postby admin » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:35 pm

Hi Angel,

you can just email Patricia. The email address is provided in the first message of this thread.

A bit like you, I'm glad Chocolate Ice Cream doesn't taste like real chocolate so I find it very easy to pass up.

I wish I could say the same for the million other ice cream flavours!

admin
Site Admin

Postby Groovychic » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:53 am

Hey I am the same as you Scott cos I don't like chocolate icecream either! I love choc mint tho! And anything with honeycomb in it. Bugga I could go on and on! Angel just email her mate. I'm sure you will be able to do it all via email and if you don't want her to use your name or anything I am sure she won't. Just remember to state that you want to remain anonymous. I have always thought the best chocolate easter eggs are the red tulip ones. They seem to taste better but my sister thinks the cadbury ones are. I'm not worried either way. I did by cadbury ones mainly. Tho I'm not sure who makes the easter bilbys because I bought them for the kids. I'm not giving my kids rabbits in aussie! Every year they get an easter bilby! And bilbys are cute. I remember seeing a live one in the Desert Park in Alice Springs in the nocturnal house. We were being really quiet trying to see the animals and then in came this family with little kids and one of them was screaming it's box off and out came all the animals. Geez I laughed. I was surprised at the size of the bilby tho! I thought they were really small like the size of a bandicoot or something but they are like the size of a small dog!!! Thats the only 1 I have ever seen. They are cute tho. :D
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Ed » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:05 am

You just can't go past a little gold Lindt Bunny easter egg!

And that's the problem, you can't stop at just one!

Happy easter everyone.

Ed. :D
Ed

Postby Hayley » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:56 am

Thanks for that information Scott - I will email Patricia now and see where I go from there. I'm very interested in sharing my personal experience with Patricia, as it might help me overcome my problem! Who knows???

Hayley.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wuOdmgo/]
Hayley

Postby Angel » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:42 pm

Patricia wanted to talk over the phone and wants you to be photographed - I never run so fast in my life! :D She did say that you could remain anonymous but whlie I'm happy talking to people over email, especially about such personal stuff, I find it way too hard to do it 'voice to voice'. Never mind, I'm sure she'll find lots of other people that are more than happy to be involved.

Scott,
would you say the Lindt easter eggs taste the same as the delicious chocolate balls?
[/url]
Angel

Return to Weight loss Talk