It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:28 pm

Free Newsletter

Running on a treadmill vs Running outside

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Running on a treadmill vs Running outside

Postby MagicGirl79 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:52 pm

Hi Guys - I've seen that a lot of people in here are either doing or planning on doing the couch to 5km running program. I would love to be able to run a significant distance and so this program appeals to me a lot.

I found a guy who has put together some podcasts that tell you when to run/walk etc so you don't need to be timing yourself all the time, but I was curious to know whether people thought there would be a significant difference if you did this program on a treadmill or outside?

I figure that if you're running on a treadmill then you'd have to choose the same running speed all the time and perhaps it may be easier than running outside, but in terms of building up fitness and being able to run further will it really make a significant difference?

Also I'm curious to know - others who currently run on treadmills or even outside, do you know how fast you run and how long have you been running for? I run on the treadmill at 8km/h some days, but other days I can run at 9.5km/h, obviously I get tired faster running at 9.5km/h.

Any thoughts, much appreciated.
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Re: Running on a treadmill vs Running outside

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:31 pm

Treadmill running is much easier than running outside... On a treadmill, the belt is moving under you and you're pretty much jogging on the spot. Running outside is a lot harder because you have to propel your body weight forwards.

To get used to running, you could try the treadmill first, just remember it's going to be a LOT harder once you get out on the road :) I was stunned at the difference!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby phatcappy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:48 pm

The new tradmills they just installed at my gym have LCD touch screen displays and u can make ur own fitness programs and then save them to USB. I made one with speed intervals so it automatically changes to the exact speeds i want.

I have it set to go at 12km/h for 10 minutes, 6km/h for 5 minutes, and then 12km/h for another 10 minutes. Gives a really good workout.

It's kind of wierd, i cant run outside as well as i can on a treadmill. I can go faster and for much much longer on the treadmill. My guess is due to the fact that on the treadmill there is no varying surface terain, which makes running uncomfortable for me. Plus i guess it helps having a cute hottie on the treadmill in front of me :)
Start Weight: 109 Kg's

Current Weight: 91.2 Kg's

Mini Goal Weight:90 Kg's

Ultimate Goal Weight: 83 Kg's
phatcappy

Postby Mandie » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:01 pm

running on a treadmill is easier because you don't need to work as hard - instead of pushing the pavement away from your feet o propel yourself forward, you only need to lift your feet up on the treadmill and the "pavement" moves under you.. does that make sense? you can still get a great workout running on a treadmill, but running on solid ground will always be more challenging
Mandie

Postby Fiona25 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:39 pm

Running on a treadmill is DEFINITELY easier.

I can currently do 15mins on the treadmill at 10kph

Running on a flat concrete pavement outside - 8 minutes

Running at home which is grassy, slope terrain and quite rough only 3 minutes!

A BIG difference!
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby milkyway » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:01 pm

Yeah - as the others have already pointed out - on a treadmill, the belt moves beneath you but when you're out running, the ground certainly doesn't!

But don't worry about that when you're starting out. Treadmill is better than nothing :) Go for it! But do try to run outdoors whenever you can just to mix it up.

In terms of measuring times and distances, I have a number of set routes I run outside that vary in distance. I worked them out using http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ and then I time myself and can then work out how fast on average I run. I know my comfortable (ie not out of breath) on the flat speed is around 10kmph or just over.

When you're just starting out, it's probably better to focus on time spent on your feet rather than how far you've travelled. So what I mean is, rather than focussing on doing a 3km run, focus on running (or run/walking) for 20 minutes. Hope that makes sense?
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:04 am

I've never actually run on a treadmill. As a result I've got nothing to compare outdoor running to, so all I notice is how much easier it gets week after week. I think there may be a benefit in that as I never got disheartened at how hard it was to run outside compared to using a treadmill. But like I said, treadmills are outside my realm of experience so it's probably best to listen to someone who uses both methods for getting fit!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby HappyBella55 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:44 am

*nods* head...I agree with the others that treadmill running is sooo much easier than running outdoors.

Its so much easier to run on a treadmill and I think it's a good idea to start out on one to build your endurance, figure out your breathing and running style.

I find them incredible boring and prefer to run outdoors :D . Last year my sister gave me her treadmill and I've used it once maybe twice since I've had it :D and the only time I use one at the gym is for my warm up sessions before my training sessions with my PT. I run on a flat incline @ 12 speed for 20-30 minutes and find it a breeze. Don't get me wrong I get a good sweat going and it definitely increases my heart rate. When I first started out running on the tready I started on speed 9 and gradually increased my speed.

I'd much rather be running outdoors :D When running outdoors you can breath in fresh cool air, get cooled down by the breeze, get friendly gratings from other runners and cyclist and perve on the hottie runners (who me - no I don't do that :P :wink:) *hee hee* and for me I get such an incredible high :D and it doesn't feel like I'm "exercising". Yes it is much harder to run outdoors, but you get a sense of accomplishment from getting from one destination to another and I do it because I love it :D

At the end of the day its about increasing your heart rate and whatever method is being used is excellento :D
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby MagicGirl79 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:36 am

Thanks everyone for your replies - I pretty much already knew that running outside would be harder than running on a treadmill, but my main goal for the time being is to be able to run for 30 mins or so without stopping and to do that I need to build up fitness.

So my question was... do you think running on a treadmill would still increase your fitness or would it be better to be running outside? Surely if I can do 30 mins on the treadmill then I've made a significant difference to my fitness and that would mean I'd be able to do at least 10 mins outside if not more?

I figured I'd try to do the C25K program on the treadmills because I already go to the gym regularly and it's easier for me to do it there than find additional time on top of the gym to do the program. And I don't want to give up the gym membership to start running because I still do my PT at the gym, plus Pump classes etc. I might be able to incorporate one of the 3 sessions a week to be an outside session, so that would get me used to running outside a bit too.

How fast should I set the treadmill for when I'm running? Would 9.0km/h be enough?

If you've done Week 1 of the C25K program and it was hard, then you do Week 2 and find you can't run for as long as they say, what should you do? Just keep trying to push yourself further I assume?
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby HappyBella55 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:32 pm

MagicGirl79 wrote: my main goal for the time being is to be able to run for 30 mins or so without stopping and to do that I need to build up fitness.

If this is your main goal it does not matter whether you run on a treadmill or outdoors, as you want to run continuously for 30 minutes.

MagicGirl79 wrote: So my question was... do you think running on a treadmill would still increase your fitness or would it be better to be running outside? Surely if I can do 30 mins on the treadmill then I've made a significant difference to my fitness and that would mean I'd be able to do at least 10 mins outside if not more?

HappyBella55 wrote:I think it's a good idea to start out on one to build your endurance, figure out your breathing and running style.

As I stated above running on the treadmill is definitely a good way to build your fitness as you can increase and decrease speed to your fitness level.

Theoretically, if you can do 30 minutes of continuous running on the treadmill then you should be able to run for 30 minutes outdoors. What will alter is the speed at which you run, also the terrain in which you run in factors too. If you choose a path/road with flat surface and not hills you will find it considerable easier than choosing a path with hills as your legs work harder. You may simply find that your legs give out before your lungs.

MagicGirl79 wrote:

How fast should I set the treadmill for when I'm running? Would 9.0km/h be enough?

Whatever speed you are comfortable at. Everyone is different and has different fitness levels. Also weight and fitness level factor into it. Someone heavier than me running at an 8 or 9 speed could possible find this tough and may need to decrease speed and slowly work up to increasing speed. What you need to consider is your target heart rate. So we can't tell you what speed to run at, that is something you have to play around with and find what suits you.

MagicGirl79 wrote: If you've done Week 1 of the C25K program and it was hard, then you do Week 2 and find you can't run for as long as they say, what should you do? Just keep trying to push yourself further I assume?

If you are finding 60seconds of interval running hard I would suggest you postpone doing the C25K program until you do build your fitness level to a point where you won't find 60 secs interval runs hard. You also don't want to get any injuries.

Alternatively, keep repeating week 1 until you are ready to move on to week 2.
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby Karnak » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:21 pm

Ditto to what everyone else that said about running on a treadmill versus running outside. As someone that is very new to running and who does a lot of it I much prefer running outside as while harder, its much more enjoyable as rather than looking at the exact speed and minutes you have been moving for.

In respect to inproving fitness, I learnt to run outside and I found it easier than attempting to run on a treadmill. To begin with I started running across road crossings, then from telegraph pole to telegraph pole. Then to the next fire hydrant etc and my distance gor further and my time shorter. Where the real benefit was for me was in my stride, pace and balance. On a treadmill balance and timing is important, it doesn't matter if you stumble or pathetically run the last few metres on the pavement but on a treadmill you'd be flung off and then have to change gyms. So whereas if the fire hydrant was a while a way I could push myself further because my pace didn't have to be static.

i eventually learnt to run by following the inteval method of 30 secs run, 1 minute walk. I built this up to an hour then switched to 45 seconds and a minute walk and finally all the way up to 2 minutes running with a one minute walk. Then miraculously i had a forest gump like moment and I just started and didn't stop and ended up running 3.47km in one go (I was 125kg when this happened !) and haven't looked back since. Last weekend I ran 15km and I'm still a big girl and I don't stop at all so its possible for anyone really.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy5Nvxw/]
[/url]
Karnak

Postby MagicGirl79 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:02 pm

Thanks heaps for taking the time to reply so comprehensively HappyBella, it really does help me a lot! :D

I haven't actually tried the C25K program yet, but I'm worried that I may not be able to do to the interval training for 20 mins solid, but I'll give it a go. I'm going to the gym tomorrow and I think I will try it on the treadmill to begin with. I will also have to go shopping sometime soon to get a more supportive pair of joggers - will go to Athlete's Foot to get a proper shoe fit done.
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby MagicGirl79 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:00 pm

Ok so I've completed 2 out 3 sessions for Week 1! Feeling pretty good about myself so far.

I did the first session on the treadmill and it didn't seem too hard. I was walking at 6km/h and running at 8.5km/h.

Then today I did my second session outside. It was more tiring, but I had been to the gym for 1.5 hours beforehand so my legs were already heavy and tired.

I will do session 3 on Wed and might try to run at 9km/h for all 8 intervals. And then it's on to Week 2. Can't wait to have my Forrest Gump moment where I can just keep running!

I also bought new shoes from Athlete's Foot and wore them today, they were great!
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby milkyway » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:04 pm

Whoo hoo! Awesome stuff. The C25K program is awesome. It may seem like a lot to ask - to be running 5km in 9 weeks or so - but it does work :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Slob » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:09 pm

Of course you do realize that running is not going to lose you any more weight than walking briskly. The issue here is - the time you spend spend burning calories - not the speed.

You need to exercise for one hour per day. Walking or running - outside or insde - doesn't matter. Trying to go faster so you use kess time is counter productive.
Slob

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk