It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:21 am

Free Newsletter

Running on a treadmill vs Running outside

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Running on a treadmill vs Running outside

Postby deej » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:40 pm

Slob wrote:Of course you do realize that running is not going to lose you any more weight than walking briskly. The issue here is - the time you spend spend burning calories - not the speed.

You need to exercise for one hour per day. Walking or running - outside or insde - doesn't matter. Trying to go faster so you use kess time is counter productive.

Sorry I'd use your username but I don't like it. :( I don't usually like to disagree with people on forums, but I think you'd burn more calories per hour running, than per hour of walking. Considerably more in fact. But that's not to say that running is best for everyone. Walking is generally safer, especially for those with back, ankle, knee problems or those who have to support a lot of weight.

Cheers.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wEsR60S/]
[/url]
deej

Re: Running on a treadmill vs Running outside

Postby MagicGirl79 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:56 pm

I agree Dave, calorie burning is not only time spent exercising but the rate at which you're exercising and therefore running at 9km/h for 30 mins would burn more than running at 8.0km/h for 30 mins.

And I'm not aiming to up my speed to burn more calories but because I think running at a higher speed on the treadmill will allow me to run better outside (albeit slower outside) because my fitness will be increasing; and additionally it also means that when I finally do get to Week 9 and can run the full 5km, it won't take me as long if I can run at a faster speed.
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Previous

Return to Weight loss Talk