It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:17 am

Free Newsletter

not cheating but stopped losing weight - Why?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

not cheating but stopped losing weight - Why?

Postby nutzy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:56 am

I started the GI Diet in August 07. I weighed 76kg and at 5ft 2 it was really nasty. I started losing slowly and then gathered speed until i was losing on average 1kg a week. By November I had lost 9kgs and had gone down to a size 12 from a size 16/18. But from November onwards I have been stuck at 67kgs. I have stuck religiously to this eating plan except in December / January when my mum died and I had to go back to South Africa and was there for 2 and 1/2 weeks. But even then, I did not stray too much. I drink 8 glasses of water a day, and since i came back from South Africa in January I have been going to the gym. My fitness levels are not great and so I am building up slowly and trying to increase my cardio vascular exercises and so I row and walk on the treadmill, slowly increasing everytime I go, which is 3 times a week - then shock of shocks 2 weeks ago I discovered I had lost another kilo - but nothing last week. I have cut down my calorie intake now and am consuming approximately 1395 calories a day - I don't know what that is in kilojoules. What can I do to further increase my weight loss - coz I notice some folk can lose 12kgs in a month and I haven't managed 12kgs in 6 months, even though I have been 99% faithful to the eating plan.

SW: 76kg (08/07)
CW: 60.2kg (21/05)
GW: 55kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woT3JnX/]
[/url]
nutzy

Re: not cheating but stopped losing weight - Why?

Postby electrongirl » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:14 am

the healthiest way to lose weight is between 0.5kg - 1kg per week. The longer it takes to come off the longer you will keep it off. This has been proven in many studies.

You have done so well already you should be proud!! Maybe you need to go over your food and make sure you aren't giving yourself bigger portions and not realising it etc. Also you could be building muscle which at first will slow down the numbers on the scales but soon it will increase your metabolism and they'll start falling again.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby ali76 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:19 am

Don't get discouraged...I lose about 500grams every fortnight!!!

I agree that you might be adding muscle which weighs more than fat, but burns lots of calories!!

Maybe you need to shake things up a bit....have a play with what you eat and when...? You're body might be getting used to what you ear and the exercise you do, maybe if you change it a bit, it might drop some more?

PS - so sorry to hear about your mum....I hope you're doing ok...hugs xo
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:20 am

If you're not unintentionally increasing your portions, could you be overestimating them instead? If you eat too few calories your body will go into starvation mode and it will significantly slow, or stop, your weight loss. I was accidentally eating too few calories and ended up on a 5 week plateau.

Another possibility is that your body has simply got used to what you are doing and what you are eating. No matter how much you cut your calories your body is going to learn to adjust, which is why so many people have weight loss plateaus. If this is the case you need to shake your diet up a bit. If you have you main meal in the evening, try having it at lunch instead. If you have three large meals split them into 6 smaller meals instead. Add protein and cut back a little on carbs. Anything to suprise your body into burning fat again.

Your body is probably used to your exercise levels as well, that's why it seems you have to continually add more and more exercise to get any results. Instead of increasing the amount of exercise you do could you change the type of exercise? Try boxing instead of rowing. Jogging outdoors instead of the treadmill. When exercise becomes easy you know that your body is used to it and is finding a way to do it in the most efficient way possible, which means you're burning fewer calories while doing it. Above all add some weight or resistance work. As the others have mentioned muscle burns more calories while resting than fat does, so increasing your muscle increases your resting metabolism which ends up being even better for continued weight loss than cardio.

Try a few different solutions and see what works. There are many causes for a plateau so you might have to experiment a bit to get your weight loss started again.

Here is a great article with advice to beat a plateau. It got me through my plateau of five weeks so hopefully it will be helpful to you too!
http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/as ... ts.asp?q=8
EvilWombatQueen

Postby nutzy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:55 pm

Brilliant! Thank you all for your helpful advice - I will def need to shake things up a bit then. I'll keep you posted. Re the exercise, I have been doing resistance and weights too just to tone up the flab - so maybe there is a bit of muscle building going on - not that I can see it yet! :wink:

SW: 76kg (08/07)
CW: 60.2kg (21/05)
GW: 55kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woT3JnX/]
[/url]
nutzy

Postby Moomoo » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:33 pm

I've been using my personal trainer for 5 weeks and have only lost 1kg
but
I have lost cm's around my thighs arms and chest. My body is changing but it's not showing on the scales..However I think I may have a small loss this week fingers crossed Pleeeeeeasee! I'm one of those people who needs to actually see something happening in order for me to feel inspired.
Moomoo

Postby ProudMumOf1 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:29 pm

I would try measuring to see cm's lost, you might be building muscle.
Or it could be you have reached plataue (SP?) and you need to shock your body into losing again, i.e more/ different excersice or even better eating.
Jennifer (Single Mum) 22

SW - 93kg on 12.01.08
CW - 84.3kg on 29.03.08
GW - 65kg

3rd MINI GOAL - 78kg (15kg lost) = $50 into Clothing Kitty ($150 TTL)
ProudMumOf1

Return to Weight loss Talk