It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:13 am

Free Newsletter

having an inner battle

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

having an inner battle

Postby sunshine » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:51 pm

I had said to myself that I would cut alcohol (sweet white wine) out of my diet completely, but I think I am going to have a hard time sticking to it. Recently I have been having alcohol way too much, like 4 nights per week, but if I am going to do this for the long term, I don't think I can deprive myself completely. Do you drinkers out there cut out completely or allow yourself something during the week.

A bottle of wine I like equates to around 4 and a bit glasses, so if I were to drink one of those per week, spread out over the week, how detrimental to my weight loss would that be. Its just nice to relax with hubby sometimes with a glass of wine at dinner etc. If I were to do this, and stick to a good eating plan, which I am doing, would that work out okay? I would much rather skip the choc and biscuits in lieu of an alcohol treat. Does that make sense, what do you guys do?

I would rather have wine than coke zero which I am cutting back on too.
sunshine

Re: having an inner battle

Postby GumBoots » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:06 pm

Have you tried the low joule wines? Or maybe even having half wine half fresh juice so its not just dead calories.
[/url]
GumBoots

Postby big_love » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:09 pm

I think anything is fine in moderation. I have wine during the week, and count it into my calories for the day. You can halve with soda water to save some calories.
140/117/85
big_love

Postby ali76 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:14 pm

I take Tams advice and do half and half with soda water - that way it doesn't de-hydrate you either!

I used to drink a few nights a week, but now I have it only occassionally - like last weekend at a wedding, if we go out for dinner, etc. I just use calorie king to incporate it in my daily calorie allowance.
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby Moomoo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:40 pm

Some wines are better than others too - I read it in this months Weight watchers magazine.

I'll see if I can find it again (later on) and get the names of the wines for you
Moomoo

Postby GumBoots » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:26 pm

Moomoo wrote:Some wines are better than others too - I read it in this months Weight watchers magazine.

I'll see if I can find it again (later on) and get the names of the wines for you

There is yellow glen "jewel" wines and Lindemans "early harvest" I believe..
[/url]
GumBoots

Postby sunshine » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:36 pm

Thanks everyone, I just bought some YellowGlen Jewel Pink, I will let you know what it is like. It is a bubbly I believe, which I am not used to but hopefully I will like it.
sunshine

Postby sunshine » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:12 pm

Okay so I now know that I hate bubbly wine, I had a glass and had to basically force it down, and tried another mixed with soda water, and then gave up and I am now having a cuppa tea.

If it were you, would you perservere with a drink you don't like, or just drink the one you do like as your treat for the end of the week, and actually appreciate it and enjoy it? Thats what I think I will do.
sunshine

Postby MagicGirl79 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:41 pm

I personally love sparkling wine/champagne and I drink the yellow jewel all the time!!

I don't think there is any point perservering with a drink that you don't actually enjoy, defeats the point of using your calories on something you're not getting enjoyment out of.

Skip the sparkling wine and try the Lindemans Early Harvest, I haven't ever tried it, so can't help you there. Otherwise keep buying the wine you love and either water it down or restrict yourself to only 1 glass a night.
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby milkyway » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:47 pm

I hear ya sista!

Anything is fine in moderation - it really depends on how much you're drinking each time. A bottle of wine actually has something like 7.x standard drinks, not 4, though with the size of my glasses it's like four! So make sure you're calculating your calories and know how much you actually drink. I make a point to drink from a smaller sized glass these days so I can't kid myself that it's only one or two 'glasses' :P

I used to drink quite a lot - probably 4 bottles per week, sometimes more :oops: Now I might drink half to one bottle per week. I bought six bottles a few weeks ago and still have 2.5 left which is pretty good for me. I usually only drink Friday nights. Sometimes I'll have one or two small glasses during the week, but that's all. it's a slippery slope though for me because as soon as I have one, I want to have another and all willpower is gone. So I've learnt sometimes it's best not to have any at all. I've got to stop binge drinking though :( Drinking a whole bottle in one night is not good. Drinking a whole bottle over a week is moderation -- but near impossible for me!

I don't know if you experience this too, but it's the only thing I've found that shuts my brain off. It makes everything 'even' inside my head - I usually think a mile a minute and I'm all over the place, mentally and when I drink, it slows everything down and it's ... well ... just 'even'. Like a flatline. I feel like I need that sensation, like to debrief from the week. Oh dear, I have a feeling I'm not making any sense... :oops:
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby sunshine » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:02 pm

Oh my Lord Milkyway, I completely understand what you are saying as this is the same as for me. I tend to binge drink at times too, mainly on Frid or Sat nights if I want to watch a dvd for instance I will have a glass of wine, then another, and then start feeling relaxed and could easily drink the entire bottle. I like sweet white wine, which is so easy to drink, and it works out (for me) about four and a half glasses.

So last night I had two glasses and tried to drink slowly, I still have the wine which I will prob finish off tonight as my fav tv shows are on and hubby will be at work lol. But I know what you are saying, I sort of thought I need to control drinking so much as I never drank alot before, its only recently that I have. I have been trying to have another baby, and have pretty much abstained whilst trying, and since I have had several miscarriages, maybe I am using alcohol to de stress. Which is not good. But I find myself relaxing after a wine, and I also start feeling that everything is okay.

So for me, I am going to have to really watch it and not start relying on alcohol, moderation as said SO MANY TIMES is the key. I am glad I have a kindred spirit :D in you. I wanted to ask you, are you finding your weight loss is okay, even though you are having alcohol because we sort of sound the same, in what we are comsuming? Best wishes
sunshine

Postby milkyway » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:42 pm

I've been a binge drinker all my adult life, but started in my mid teens. I come from a family of binge drinkers ('cept my mum and my sister's had one too many killer hangovers and doesn't do it very often)

I know I would probably be at or close to my goal weight if I didn't drink. All those extra, excess, nutritionless calories consumed each week...

I used to drink a LOT because I was pretty unhappy and stressed. Life is much better these days. You've been through some horrible situations lately with your miscarriages :( It's not wonder you find solace in a wine glass if you're predisposed to it. I always turn to alcohol when I'm stressed. And I also use the smallest of celebrations to abuse it. So I guess it doesn't matter - happy or sad, despondant or triumphant, I will use and abuse alcohol.

What has helped me lately has been to focus on my running. I have to get up in the morning to run, so the last thing i want to do is have a hangover, even a mild one. I've made a commitment - a HUGE commitment - to run 23km as part of the Great Ocean Road marathon. This is beyond double what I'm capable of doing comfortably at the moment and every training I run miss puts this goal further and further out of reach.

I've started a new job and we have drinks every Friday afternoon. It's fantastic - I love the social side as there's a lot of great people there I enjoy spending time with, and it's also time to debrief and find out what's going on in the company because all the senior people work there :) So Friday nights have become drinks at work followed by date night with the hubby. I run on Sunday morning with other girls, so once again, I don't want to be hungover and holding everyone up, late, that kind of thing so it keeps me sober on a saturday night.

I know this whole running a half marathon thing is probably not on the agenda for you - but is there something else you can focus on that will help you make that decision at 8pm at night when you find yourself opening the cupboard and pulling out your wine glass?

But honestly, I wouldn't beat yourself up over a few glasses of wine each week. A few bottles - yeah. The only thing I'm not comfotable with is the amount I end up drinking on Friday nights. I HAVE to cut that down. Feel free to PM me anytime :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Return to Weight loss Talk