It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:57 pm

Free Newsletter

uni lunch ideas

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

uni lunch ideas

Postby matchbox » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:00 pm

ok guys, i need some help!! the food at uni is so unhealthy and fatty, and mostly doesn't even taste good (apart from the asian food van..mmmm yum! but not really healthy)
i don't have access to a fridge or microwave and it get's really hot here in perth so i need something that won't go off and will still be ok to eat after about 4 hours of being out.
i need some ideas for lunch! i have snacks mostly under control but any more ideas would be great too :)
hope all you lovely people can help!

xx
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Re: uni lunch ideas

Postby milkyway » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:31 pm

How about getting a whole lot of those little tuna tempters from the supermarket when they're on special (too expensive otherwise) and having them on a roll, ryvitas or something like that. You don't have to make it in the morning, just grab a tin and the crackers/roll and take it with you. Great little protein boost.

I used to make sandwiches for the week and freeze them and take one out each day - not as nice as the freshies, but for some reason food during the day doesn't bother me - it's just fuel. It's night times I insist on having something yummy!

I also take rice with me to work - I don't refrigerate it as it gets all hard and yukky if you put it in the fridge. Goes great with one of those tuna meals. I don't think it would spoil, even if it were warm. We have a rice cooker and it's always on and the rice is always soft and hot. Yummm.

Hmmm - that's about all I can think of. Unless you get one of those little freezer lunch box/cooler bag thingies. I'm a bit stuck on the tuna at the mo' :P
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:00 pm

You could make a salad roll using pita bread. Or a healthy home-made pasta salad.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby talia11 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:22 pm

I am doing Lite n Easy and they have great luch idea - maybe you could check out there menus and put something together - a cooler bag would work good.

http://www.liteneasy.com.au/ourprograms ... m_what.cfm
Carmen - Weight Watchers -Goal 72kg

talia11

Postby matchbox » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:36 pm

cool thanks :)

san, what are tuna tempters? i've never heard of them before
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby loveat116 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:06 am

matchbox wrote:cool thanks :)

san, what are tuna tempters? i've never heard of them before

They are flavoured tuna tins. So they come in like sweet chilli, onion and tomato, curry flavour. Heaps!

Probably the best thing would be to pack a sandwich or a salad. If you limit the amount of mayo or spreads it won't go soggy. They're cheap and easy to make in the morning.

For snacks, i would go with wrapped stuff, like protein bars or little snack sized bags of nuts and seeds and dried fruits?

Do you have healthy options at Uni? We had quite a bit like salads and rolls.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby matchbox » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:04 pm

cool thanks for that ella :)

we do have "healthy" options - salads (we have an aroma cafe) and sandwiches - however if you want a sandwich you have to buy it by like 9.30am otherwise there are none left, and that kinda defeats the purpose cos it'll go bad by lunch time anyway :lol:
we've got the salads at aroma too but i don't really trust them - they are all DRENCHED in dressing and we know how deceiving that can be :twisted: i'm sure they're actually really evil :evil:
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby rivenriver » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:01 am

Make friends with someone who lives at a catered on-campus college, and bludge off them! That's what some of my friends do. ;) Generally colleges have hot food served, and then self-serve salad bars that are easy for a non-ressie friend to pinch some of, if they're there with someone. ;) Failing that, move into a college. ;)

Ummm dried fruit and nuts is great. But I guess more of a snack. You can get those tuna things with biscuits, they're pretty good. Or some soup that takes nice cold. Or soup in a thermos? If you need to buy sometimes, what about things like kebabs or hamburgers? Fatty meat, but salad too, and they're fresh and taste good and keep you full. Sandwiches that aren't soggy are good too.
rivenriver

Postby Fireball » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:27 am

Use a little frozen bottle of water. You can keep it in your bag and or in a lunchbox to keep your lunch cool & fresher. You can drink the water too so you dont feel tempted to buy softdrink.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Return to Weight loss Talk