It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:31 pm

Free Newsletter

Lapband or Gastric Balloon

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Lapband or Gastric Balloon

Postby Slob » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:02 pm

I am looking for informed opinions to help me decide which intervention treatment is better from both an effective ness and a safety aspect - Gastric Balloon (BIB) or Lap Band surgery. Does anyone have a view
Slob

Re: Lapband or Gastric Balloon

Postby Fiona25 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:27 pm

Hi slob and welcome to the forum!

Can I ask how much weight you have to lose to be wanting to take such extremes?

I'm sorry i'm not any help, I don't really know anything about either procedures.
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby GoddessInside » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:24 pm

From what I know the doctors will not do it unless you have serious medical reason to do so. That was the first thing the Obesity Clinic offered me when I went in at 200+ kgs. However I declined as I wanted to do it the healthy proper way. How else is one to re educate themself ?

I have two friends who have had it done recently. Although their weightloss is rapid, they can only eat 250mls of food for bfast, lunch & dinner and the food is extremely limited. Both of my friends had severe complications to their liver - it continuously bled post op and ended up in emergency.

In regards to the weight loss, one of them lost 14kgs in 5 weeks. Just to compare, I had lost approx. 12 kgs in 5 weeks and that was sticking to my regime. So if its quick weightloss that you want, then there are other ways in doing it rather than putting your body through such a severe operation.
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby anthony88 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:42 pm

thats an awesome way to put it goodness inside, im the exact same i weigh 135kg and there is no way im gettin lap band surgery.. i know that all i need to do is eat healthy and exercise, its just about getting off your arse and doing something about it..
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w14PlL0/]
[/url]

My First Goal is to be under 110kg reward=gym membership
Christmas '08, i will be under 100kg (BRING IT ON)
~~**IM NOW EATING TO LIVE, NOT LIVING TO EAT**~~
anthony88

Postby big_love » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:39 pm

Also with surgery, You loose the weight regardless! I dont think there is as much an emotional journey. You dont go through the same sorts of highs and lows where the harder you work, the more weight you loose (HOPEFULLY!!! LOL). You don't have to deal with the issues as you drop weight, and put it back on, and plateu (sp?), deal with temptation, etc. Also....saggy baggy skin would be a worry as well. These are just my opinions, I hope they're not out of place! :mrgreen:
140/117/85
big_love

Postby hysterical_oliver » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:49 pm

I agree with Big Love, the emotional journey is very important. Some people need the help to get started but not a lot is known about the health ramifications you may face down the track. Most people CAN diet they just lack the real will power or the right motivation. The body is an amazing thing and nothing is impossible if you can put your mind to it!
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Postby Mandie » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:04 pm

Any reputable doctor should send you to a psychologist/psychiatrist prior to this kind of major surgery to determine whether you are in the right place emotionally or not. Some people still struggle with emotional eating and self hatred that led to their weight gain in the first place, and these people are NOT suitable for surgery. People manage to gain weight despite gastric banding - chocolate milkshakes apparently go down a treat. To undergo this surgery and have a successful outcome, people need to be emotionally stable and willing to exercise and eat healthily in the future to maintain their healthy weight.

I would recommend it only as a last resort in very specific circumstances - very very very last resort. There are MUCH healthier ways to lose weight. Besides, it's not just about the weight loss - it's about gaining health. And you can only do that through healthy eating and regular exercise.

Having said ALL that, if you still want a surgical option, I think you need to see your GP and ask for a referral to a bariatric surgeon (obesity doctor). They can explain all the different options for you, with their risks and benefits, and you should ask for copies of studies showing the risk/benefit data for each. You shouldn't take this lightly, as they are quite big operations with big consequences. The risk of anaesthetic is also higher in obese people.

Good luck with whichever path you choose to take.
Mandie

Postby goddess » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:01 am

Hi, i had a gastric balloon fitted in prague in may i urge anybody reading this to NOT undergo such an operation and save your money you CAN diet without this ....eating and over eating are emotional issues ... deal with the cause then stick to a healthy diet and excercise join a support group etc...it can be done without this nasty and useless operation!!!...i have not only lost a stone through this but also my hair through the medication!!...i could easily have lost this weight without the balloon and not had to pop meds every day!The only way to lose weight is to diet stick to it and excersise!
good luck xxx
goddess

Postby HealthyLiving8 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:36 am

Lap band is much safer than gastric bypass.
HealthyLiving8

Postby Fireball » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:32 am

A work colleague had lapband surgery recently. Prior to surgery he was required to to lose weight and stick to a very strict diet for quite a while. I asked him if he was capable of sticking to that diet regime, why did he need the surgery? He said he thought it would be easier to keep the wieght off and he doesnt like to exercise. Since the surgery he has lost a lot of weight, but has also suffered from post surgery infection. I wont go into details, but it was gross. He was quite sickly for about a month after. I can understand peoples' frustartion and wanting to find a resolution but this left me wondering if you have to stick to a diet for the surgery well maybe you are capable of a life style change instead. I guess this comes down to personal prefererence and maybe knowing yourself and your own limits?

Another person I know had lapband surgery a few years ago. She is extremely pleased with the results and would encourage others to do the same.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Return to Weight loss Talk