It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:34 pm

Free Newsletter

Whats the RDI for sodium?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Whats the RDI for sodium?

Postby Fiona25 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:34 am

Can anyone tell me? I googled and found out that its between 1000-2300mg a day. Today is my first day of trying to have a max of 1500mg a day.

I've been on CK to search for foods and chop and change my diet a bit. Eg switching from bran to mueslie, fresh fish instead of frozen, avocado instead of mayo, burgen bread instead of noble rise and a few other changes too.

I got the shock of my life when I worked out that most days I was having 2000-2500mg each day!!!

So would 1500mg be a healthy range for me do you think, or should I aim lower? This should help with fluid retention too right?

I swear, this forum and CK are my major weight loss and nutrition learning areas, I love them both!
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Re: Whats the RDI for sodium?

Postby Beetle » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:03 am

Hi Fiona,
I was just reading this the other day in the CSIRO total wellbeing diet book. It says that the National Health and Medical Research Council adviseds that 460-920mg a day for adults is an adequate sodium intake and that you shouldn't exceed 2300mg per day.

Cutting down on sodium will definitely help with fluid retention. Your body retains fluid when it has excess sodium so that the sodium levels balance out, i.e. to try and keep the concentration low, your body will be more likely to get rid of this excess fluid if your sodium intake is lower.

Hope this helps, if you want me to explain it a bit more I can. I'm studying nutrition as part of my sports science degree at the moment.

Cheers,
Beetle
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woR3SP2/]
[/url]
Beetle

Postby loveat116 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:04 am

I wouldnt go too low, because sodium is essential for staying alive!

If you cut out processed foods, you probably won't need to worry about it too much.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby matchbox » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:17 pm

it's about 900-2300, i wouldn't really go as low as 460 as the CSIRO book goes though, 1500mg is good, and then if u change your mind u can always adjust from there :)
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby Fiona25 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:53 pm

Thanks guys!

I think i'll aim for a max of 1500 for a week and then lower it from there, possibly end result aiming for 1000mg per day.

I will DEFINITELY be looking at the sodium content in processed foods I buy now!
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Return to Weight loss Talk