It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:14 am

Free Newsletter

"5 reasons you can't lose weight"

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

"5 reasons you can't lose weight"

Postby matchbox » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:34 pm

taken from the WW newsletter, thought it was an interesting read....

You're doing your best to slim down, but the scale doesn't seem to budge. Sound familiar?

"Weight loss revolves around all aspects of your lifestyle — sleep, stress, even mood," says Weight Watchers nutrition adviser, Emma Stirling*. "And if you're neglecting one of these, you may be sabotaging your success."

Read on to find out if one's affecting you — so you can get back to achieving results.

1. You're skimping on sleep
"If you don't sleep enough, your body looks for another way to find energy," says Stirling. "More often than not, that means you end up overeating just to stay awake." Plus, she adds, when you're exhausted you're less inclined to make smart food choices, and may even reach for 'quick fuel' — think sugar-laden or starchy products like cakes or biscuits. Aim for seven to nine hours of shut-eye a night.

2. You're not combining diet and exercise
Working out doesn't mean that you can eat whatever you want. You'll gain muscle, which is great, but you won't see your shape change significantly until you cut back on the kilojoules, too.

3. You're stressed out
Stress works similarly to sleep deprivation, in that many people reach for food to cope. Plus, many people avoid the gym when they're anxious or overloaded, thinking they don't have time. But a good workout can be a great stress reliever.

4. You look at food as the enemy
"Restricting your favourite foods, or targeting foods as 'good' and 'bad', will only set you up for a binge," says Stirling. "The key to weight loss is overall kilojoule reduction. Include the foods you like, but eat them in sensible portions." And remember that eating after exercise is a must. "Don't skip meals, post-workout, thinking you'll burn even more kilojoules," says Stirling. "Your body is looking to refuel and recover and needs the right combo of carbs and protein." She recommends a balanced snack like drinking yoghurt, that also helps you rehydrate.

5. You haven't tried a new approach
Don't give up if your first attempt at weight loss isn't successful or you reach a plateau. Mix it up. "Switch your type of workout and include lifting weights or a new class and try a switch between the two food plans on the Weight Watchers program. Try, try again — sooner or later your persistence will pay off," says Stirling.
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Re: "5 reasons you can't lose weight"

Postby ali76 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:20 pm

Great post - thanks Lexi! :D
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:55 pm

Terrific post. I'm having issues with one, two AND three at the moment! Unfortunately I'm in the middle of a hideously busy week (which is why I haven't been posting here as much as usual) so while it certainly warns me what awful things I'm doing to my weight loss, there's not a great deal I can do about it! For instance my gym has limited opening hours, so if I go there I have to take a couple of hours off my time at uni. Normally I can fit that in through flexible work hours, but once you schedule a few extra meetings in (all eating into my study time) and a couple of looming deadlines suddenly the gym takes a lower priority. I could make up those study hours in the evening, but then I add to my stress by having no free time and cut into my sleep time - both big no-nos. And you really don't want to know about my diet. In short bugger-all money, no time for shopping, no time for preparation, a partner with a migraine and working until 9pm doesn't equal a well balanced meal!

I really need to find a way to fit exercise back in or I'm going to go back down the path of my undergraduate years when I gained all this weight in the first place. :(
EvilWombatQueen

Postby nutzy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:50 am

I am doing all of the above - I'm not particularly stressed, I sleep well and get enough of it, I don't snack on starch and sweets, I have changed my diet & I'm varying my exercise as well as doing weights, but still not losing, plus I'm drinking between 6 & 8 glasses of water a day. I eat off a side plate so that I don't get tempted to pile on the food too. Nothing seems to be shifting the weight and I am nowhere near my goal weight. I am sooooo tempted to buy some fat burning diet pills just to kick start this thing again. :evil:

SW: 76kg (08/07)
CW: 60.2kg (21/05)
GW: 55kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woT3JnX/]
[/url]
nutzy

Postby hysterical_oliver » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:51 am

The pills don't work nutzy. You're better off persevering with the old fashioned way 8)
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:04 am

Nutzy, is it possible you're eating too little? I used to use Calorie King but I found I was overestimating the amount of food I was eating, so I was really consuming too little and it put my body into starvation mode. It was when I started eating more food that I started losing again.

Shaking up your exercise and including weights is a great way to tackle a plateau so it's great that you're already doing that. Could you do the same with your diet? If you're building muscle it might be a good idea to eat extra protein. Perhaps swap some carbs for protein in your meals. Or if you normally have your largest meal of the day in the evening, change it to lunch time. Or change 3 large meals for 6 smaller meals.

SparkPeople have a heap of articles about busting plateaus.
Part 1: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fit ... asp?id=516
Part 2: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fit ... asp?id=522
Part 3: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fit ... asp?id=534

Good luck! Let us know how you get on.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby matchbox » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:31 pm

EWQ has lots of awesome ideas :) as always :wink: also, how about calorie cycling? i'm sure there's plenty of stuff on the net about it but tis basically varying your cals every day (but never going under 1200!) so your body doesn't get used to the same amount of cals and gets too comfortable. or maybe throw in a high cal day (which i do) and eat whatever you want (within reason of course - i don't mean like maccas brekkie, hj's for lunch and kfc for tea lol) but just take a break and enjoy a favourite meal or too, have a treat, etc most people find this works and you'll find a lot of 'diets' give you a 'free' day like this :)
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby nutzy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:52 pm

Thank you evilwombatqueen - excellent SparkPeople site - will go back and have a good look when not at work (sneaking away from working on my departments depressing budget to browse on the weightloss forum) - although I did manage to read the first link.

I don't think I'm eating too little either coz I have estimated (huge thumbsuck here) that on average I eat about 1400 calories, which is waaaaaay more than the 1200 mentioned by Matchbox, so maybe it is just overeating - although my portions seem so small and lately I am always hungry. How does one accurately count calories per serving anyway? It's easy though if you have weetabix for brekkie - 2 = 126 calories - it says so on the box, but when you have grilled salmon with a blob of spinach and half a small sweet potato, how can you tell how many calories that contains? Or extra lean beef mince with veg and wholewheat couscous? aaaarrrrggghh! It's driving me crazy!!!! :evil:

[/url]
nutzy

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:16 am

A lot of people here use Calorie King (http://www.calorieking.com.au) to track their calories. It's best to measure or weigh your portions until you get used to identifying the quantities visually. If you create a profile on Calorie King you can find out how many calories you should be eating per day and how many calories are in different foods. Then just measure out your portions accordingly.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby nutzy » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:05 am

Thank You!!!

[/url]
nutzy

Return to Weight loss Talk