It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:55 pm

Free Newsletter

A vent about weight loss...

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

A vent about weight loss...

Postby Fiona25 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:34 am

I made a similar post a while back but lately i've been getting annoyed and secretly angry with some of the comments i've got regarding my weight loss.

1. My mother in law (who is both obese and lazy) literally screwed her nose up at me and said 'you aren't going to lose anymore weight are you?'. I thought that was rude and silly because I am in a healthy BMI range, I definitely have excess fat and i'm eating and exercising well and my body will do what it wants to do or what it thinks it should do. How would she like it if I screwed my nose up at her and said 'you aren't going to put on anymore weight are you?'

2. A friend recently told me that I was LUCKY because I had lost weight. Again, I directly told her that luck has nothing to do with it. I told her i've been restricting calories and working my a$$ off, that does not = luck! She then asked me how much I weighed which at the time I didn't mind, but is that a bit rude to ask someone regardless of their size? I wouldn't ask her how much she weighs.

3. A lady I know this morning said to me in a negative/yuk tone complete with facial expressions 'gee you're getting thin'.

What ever happened to saying to someone 'wow, you've lost weight, you look great and whatever you're doing is paying off, well done!!!'???

I'm not doing this for others, i'm doing it for myself, but acknowledgement of HOW i've gotten here wouldn't go astray :roll:
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Re: A vent about weight loss...

Postby loveat116 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:40 am

People are honestly just jealous when they say stuff like that, take it as a compliment!

I knew I would get negative comments from people, so I just don't talk about me trying to lose weight. Because I am in a healthy range and are slim already, people wouldnt understand.

Some people just don't understand that things can always be improved, im not going to settle for anything less than my top goals.

The thing is Fiona, they DONT know how you lost the weight... so when people say wow your lucky, say i'm not! This is months of hard work! This didn't come easy!
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby Siana-leah » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:44 am

Well...if there's one thing that I have learned it's that no matter what you do...you cant please everyone....
you gotta do what makes you happy and if you want to weigh a little less...then go ahead.....
im sorry to hear that people are being negative towards you....it can get you down....
just be happy and if they say things like that just ignore them or tell them what for !! :D :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wWJeIU2/]
[/url]
Siana-leah

Postby Fiona25 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:57 am

Thanks girls.

I've had some very positive compliments, mainy from my Mum and Brother (and of course you guys ;)) but the negative/rude kind of ones pop up MUCH more often.

Again, I have to remind myself that I am doing this for ME and my body will love me for it too :) Also, i've learnt SO much about nutrition. I always thought I knew a fair bit, but looking back I knew nothing, so that is another huge positive for me, and something that I am sure will have the opportunity to educate others on (if they ask) and in the future, my kids.
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby ali76 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:12 pm

I completely agree with the girls Fiona...people are just jealous. They look at you and maybe see what they would like to do but can't be bother getting off their backsides.

It really annoys me when people loosely use the word luck. Luck is winning a choc raffle...! My friends made the same comment when I bought my first property. I wasn't lucky, I worked and saved money while they were out on the pi$$!! No one picked my name out of a hat and said 'here you go, you can have this place - but there's a mortgage attached!' Same as they didn't pick your name out to lose weight. YOU did it....with education and hard work.

I know it's hard, but try not to let these people get to you. You're doing a great thing for yourself! Stand tall and be proud!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby lng86 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:04 pm

As I see it...

1. COMPLIMENT

2. COMPLIMENT

3. RUDENESS

I completely understand how you feel... But some people literally get off on putting other people down. Also, by acknowledging YOUR SUCCESS, they can be acknowledging THEIR OWN FAILURE. One simple example, SO many people have gym memberships but never (or rarely) attend. They never cancel these memberships... And continuing paying the money each fortnight... Because to ring and cancel would mean that they then would have to accept failure. Does that make sense???

You're doing absolutely brilliantly. And look stunning!
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)
lng86

Postby Diminishing » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:23 pm

I hear you. I posted on my blog about this self same issue only the other day!

Energy Suckers
Lucy xx

Diminishing

Postby hysterical_oliver » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:53 pm

I know what you're saying Fi~ I have people telling me I'm getting so skinny and I'm at the point where I tell them hey I still weigh 92 kilos, I think there's a lot of room for improvement! AND THERE IS DAMMMN IT! lol I don't think I'm being unreasonable, I'm still in the obese category, stop telling me to eat something or asking me if I am eating at all!!! Stoopid same people who would look at me "like lose some weight girl" only a few months ago... :evil:
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Postby Czarina » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:07 am

I agree that the majority of negative comments stem from jealousy. However (I'll be the devil's advocate here), these comments may just be out of concern, with the current unhealthy "Size 0" trend, some people might just be worried about where the weightloss will stop.
Czarina

Postby Sussy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:39 am

Hey Fiona,

what a cack you are.....I LMAO when i read about your MIL and what you'd like to say to her ("You're not going to put ON anymore weight are you?" Hahaha) I reckon you should do it and then when she gets upset tell her why and what she said to you.
I know this probably won't happen, but imagine if we could say what we REALLY wanted.

I will never understand how some people think it is okay to make rude or intrusive comments about others and yet if it's the other way round....WHOA LOOKOUT!

At least you can say it here....& I will chuckle away.

You're doing great mate, only thing i suggest is ignoring the rude a*#holes or make the exact same applicable comment back to them, then see how often they make remarks anymore. Do it, do it, do it. :lol: Hehe :twisted:

Suse
Sussy

Postby Tarz » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:49 am

Sussy wrote:You're doing great mate, only thing i suggest is ignoring the rude a*#holes or make the exact same applicable comment back to them, then see how often they make remarks anymore. Do it, do it, do it. Hehe

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think alot of us wish we had the guts to do that.
Tarz

Postby ProudMumOf1 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:36 pm

I think they all just have a case of green man syndrome :mrgreen:
Seriously they are only jelouse take that as a compliment lol in a round about sort of way...
Jennifer (Single Mum) 22

SW - 93kg on 12.01.08
CW - 84.3kg on 29.03.08
GW - 65kg

3rd MINI GOAL - 78kg (15kg lost) = $50 into Clothing Kitty ($150 TTL)
ProudMumOf1

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:46 pm

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate and say that they're not saying you're getting too thin because they prefer you fat, they're saying it because they're used to seeing you fat. I saw my sister for the first time in a couple of months yesterday. She'd lost 13 kilos and she just looked slightly wrong to me at first. I simply wasn't used to seeing her with an angular jaw and with skinny arms and legs. Did she look great? Hell yeah! But it took a second for me to register that she looked so different because of diet and exercise, not because she was ill. The times my sister and I have been thin many in our family have told us we're too thin. It's because the rest of our family are large and they have it worked into their heads that slightly overweight is the healthiest way to be. They have a phobia about skinny and they get genuinely concerned if they see any bones sticking out on someone who is normally chubby.

And I can understand some people thinking others are 'lucky' to lose weight. My sister dropped those 13 kilos in only a month or so. She's always been able to lose weight incredibly quickly. I do exactly the same things as she does and my weight barely shifts! Different people have different metabolisms, gain muscle at different rates and lose weight differently. So I think it's fair to say some people are 'lucky' in that regard. That's not to say she didn't work hard to lose that weight! 'Good luck' doesn't mean no work. It can mean being born with healthier genetics, living close to a good cheap gym or never having to experience a weight loss plateau. To use another example I think I'm lucky to have the education I've got. That's not because anyone handed it to me on a silver platter. It's because there's never been any huge impediments to me studying that some other people have to contend with (prolonged illness, single parenthood, unsupportive family etc.). It doesn't devalue my hard work. It just makes me appreciate that my hard work has paid off.
EvilWombatQueen

Return to Weight loss Talk