It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:25 am

Free Newsletter

My new scales SUCK

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

My new scales SUCK

Postby Cac33 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:41 am

For the last 4 weeks I have weighing myself on old non electric scales & according to them my start weight was 105 & current weight 100. Yesterday I bought new electronic scales & they say I weight 103.3 this morning. :cry: The old scales still show I'm 100.
I presume my new scales are more correct as they are more detailed & can go down to 100gm.

This is really disheartening not only does that mean I was about 108 kilos when I started but I was desperately hoping to be under 100 & now that is at least 3.4 kilos away :x

I have been eating really well & have been exercising more & more each day (walking at least 5.5kms & doing home circuit as well) & will continue to do so but was depressing when I have been trying so hard.

Bought my bike yesterday & I'm keen to test it out this afternoon. Hopefully riding will help me shed those extra 3.3 kilos
Cass

SW: 108.3 (4Feb08)
CW: 96.1
GW: 70
Cac33

Re: My new scales SUCK

Postby electrongirl » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:45 am

This happened to me when I went to a different weight watchers meeting to weigh in once. The difference was 2kg. It was very disheartening but just remember that you havn't actually gained weight, the numbers just changed. You have still lost 5kg and thats fantastic!!

Stick with it and you'll be under 100 in no time!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby SarahC » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:55 am

Well done on the 5kg loss :D

I'm just wondering... did you initialise/zero the scales when you first put the batteries in. There may be something regarding this in the user instructions. It's the same as, with the non-electronic scales, making sure the needle is starting off on zero.
SarahC

Postby Cac33 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:08 pm

SarahC wrote:Well done on the 5kg loss :D

I'm just wondering... did you initialise/zero the scales when you first put the batteries in. There may be something regarding this in the user instructions. It's the same as, with the non-electronic scales, making sure the needle is starting off on zero.

I wish that was the problem but unfortunately it did say 0.0 before I got on.

Thats ok I'm just going to push myself harder to get the results I want :roll:
Cass

Cac33

Postby Sussy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:21 pm

Hey you,
I only have a dinosaur set of scales too, and often think about updating them, but besides the fact i can't really afford to, i don't know if i really want to for fear of the same thing happening to me as has to you....so for now i'll live in ignorance....like they say "ignorance is bliss".

But you must remember you're 5kg lighter than when you started and that HAS to make you feel good.....and you know what...Stuff the scales anyway as long as you feel good and know you're eating right and exercising then that's all that matters, the scales are just a guide and give us something visual to work from ( I hope that makes sense, i know what i'm trying to say and can't say it...DER) :)

Keep up the good work mate, you're doing fantastic, and before you know it you'll be under the hundy and feelin SUPER!!! :)
Sussy

Postby Cac33 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:29 pm

Sussy wrote:Hey you,
I only have a dinosaur set of scales too, and often think about updating them, but besides the fact i can't really afford to, i don't know if i really want to for fear of the same thing happening to me as has to you....so for now i'll live in ignorance....like they say "ignorance is bliss".

But you must remember you're 5kg lighter than when you started and that HAS to make you feel good.....and you know what...Stuff the scales anyway as long as you feel good and know you're eating right and exercising then that's all that matters, the scales are just a guide and give us something visual to work from ( I hope that makes sense, i know what i'm trying to say and can't say it...DER) :)

Keep up the good work mate, you're doing fantastic, and before you know it you'll be under the hundy and feelin SUPER!!! :)

Hey Sussy the only reason I bought new scales is to get a more accurate reading on my weight loss as I'm not going to loose exactly a kilo each week or it might show that I have lost nothing at all. At least the old ones still show the same so I know its not a true gain.
I thought electronic scales would be quite expensive but I picked up these from Big W for under $30 & they do BMI too.

As for visuals I don't think there is anything better than seeing clothes baggy that use to be tight or wouldn't do up at all. :mrgreen:

Thanks again everyone for the encouragement :D
Cass

Cac33

Postby Czarina » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:59 pm

At least you didn't get as rude a shock as I did when I got my electronic scales last year. I discovered I weighed 10kg more than my old scales were telling me! It was rather traumatic!
Czarina

Postby Cac33 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:03 pm

Czarina wrote:At least you didn't get as rude a shock as I did when I got my electronic scales last year. I discovered I weighed 10kg more than my old scales were telling me! It was rather traumatic!

OMG that's a huge difference. I thought mine was bad but thats nothing compared to 10kg!

Thanks for telling me that I feel much better :)
Cass

Cac33

Postby hysterical_oliver » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:48 pm

Mine wasn't THAT bad but the difference was 7kg! I just sucked it up and got on with it :mrgreen: There's not much you can do about it but at least you now know that your scales are probably a lot more accurate than they were. So many things can affect the reading on scales so just remember that in the end it's only a number.
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Postby Fiona25 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:03 pm

I remember I weighed 3kgs heavier on digital scales when I got them. I was devestated too!

But as Nikki said, you've still lost 5kgs and thats great! And now you have new, accurate scales that tell the truth and give you a weigh in to the 100gram which is great!
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby Karnak » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:43 pm

Czarina wrote:At least you didn't get as rude a shock as I did when I got my electronic scales last year. I discovered I weighed 10kg more than my old scales were telling me! It was rather traumatic!

I did that - I was putting my scales on the bath mat to weigh - then I switched to the hard floor and put on 13kg !. It was very very depressing.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy5Nvxw/]
[/url]
Karnak

Postby Cac33 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:27 am

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

I was desperate to be under 100 kilos by the end of March so I have taken my exercise up a notch & am happy to report yesterday I weighed in at 102.7 (loss of 600gms) & then today 102.3 (loss of 400gms) so I have already lost another kilo!!! I'm much happier & that goal isn't as far out of reach as I first thought. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cass

Cac33

Postby Jisgone » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:18 am

i gained about 5kgs when i got my net scales! i got them fairly early on so it wasnt too traumatic for me but still a massive pain in the ass
Jisgone

Postby GoddessInside » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 am

I was thinking about purchasing a set of scales to have at home, however mums scales are pretty accurate. I compared them to the scales at the obesity clinic and there is only 400gms difference. So I thought hard as to whether I want to be buying another set.

Besides, mums scales are upstairs, so I get that incidental exercise in when I go to weigh in :mrgreen:
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby Sussy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:34 am

Hey mate,

can't stop thinking about new scales now coz of you & am seriously thinking of buying a new set, but i'm VERY scared coz of everyone's posts.....I thought i'd been doing so well, and now i keep thinking maybe i'm actually not :( ..... not sure what to do. Hmmmm. :? :?
Sussy

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk