It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:01 pm

Free Newsletter

I got a health scare...

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: I got a health scare...

Postby Tarz » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:49 pm

gee i think i'm a precontemplation moving into contemplation :oops:
Thats not good :shock:
Tarz

Postby holly80 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:16 pm

Butterfly_Dawn wrote:Hi Holly!
Firstly, welcome to the forum.. I'm a long term member but have been a bit absent lately and miss many new people. :oops:

I've never been a smoker, so I can't give you personal advice/experiences. BUT it's a great thing to do for your health and even the health of those around you (through second hand smoke). I know that changing behaviour happens in a few stages (I study psychology and this is a model of behavior change).

Precontemplation is where you don't think the behaviour is a problem and don't think you should try to change.
Contemplation is when you think maybe you should change it, but aren't really planning to
Planning, where you get information about ways to change the behaviour and make a plan
Implementation of the plans
Maintenance of the change.

Sounds to me like you're at or around the Planning/Implementation stages and one of the most important things is to put as much effort as you can in to the planning. Same goes for weight loss too BTW. Also, implementation doesn't always work and you might relapse (either from implementation or maintenance). You might be lucky and get it right first go though! What is important is that if you relapse, you don't go all the way back to precontemplation and think things like "well obviously I can't do it, I won't bother". Much better to go back to the planning stage and reassess the plans to see what went wrong and make new plans to deal with it. Every relapse teaches you something new and takes you closer to sucess (in a round about way).

All the best with it!

Tegan

wow thanks heaps for that... thats very intersting, and sounds so true

Holly

Every 5 kilos off= Pandora Charm

SW: 86kg 31/8/06
CW:
WL:
GW: 75kg

Rule your mind or it will rule you.You may delay, but time will not !!!
holly80

Postby jilliansmyhero » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:19 pm

come on holly u can do this, plan plan plan, but if ur not ready then try again when u are. look up different websites for help and check out the quitline website for info.
jilliansmyhero

Postby Fireball » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:07 pm

Holly

I was wondering how thing are going for you quitting smoking. I quit in 1997, used to smoke 40-60 a day. I used patches and that defineilty helped me as it controlled the craving then I just had to concentrate on beating the habit side of it.
You can do it. If you have a little slip, dont let it hold you back. Go for it Holly it's worth it!

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby ali76 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:34 pm

There's apparently a really good quit book out at the moment - someone might be able to help me out...I think it's by Allan Carr?? One of my best friends read it and has successfully quit smoking. She can't stop raving about how good it is!

It encourages you to smoke right up until the end of the book....my friends was reading it continually cos by the end of it she was dreading getting to the end of a chapter and being told to light up!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby ali76 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:36 pm

Just found a website for the author...

http://www.allencarr.com.au/

Hope this is ok to post...?! I've never been a smoker and am by no way trying to sell these books or the site - just think it might help since it helped my friend!

Good luck
xo
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:31 pm

Thanks for posting that, Ali. My partner is having mixed success trying to quit so I may put him on to that book.
EvilWombatQueen

Previous

Return to Weight loss Talk