It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:05 pm

Free Newsletter

Vanity Sizing...

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Vanity Sizing...

Postby HappyBella55 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:28 pm

argh....my pet hate....it is so misleading..... :evil: :twisted:

Yesterday after work I popped into Cue and Target to get a few items....I had to get size 8. At first I was elated but then my bubble deflated because its not true sizing :( WTF :twisted: it is soooooooooo misleading. I am NOT a size 8. My best gal friend can't even fit into the 6's at Cue, they are big on her and she is a true size 8. I even tried on some suits I brought a couple of years ago when I was working at David Lawrence and they are a 10, which are a little tight.

Why are designers making the clothes larger without altering the size. This is just misleading women, which can lead to justification and denial of weight gain because they can still fit into size whatever :roll:

End of rant :wink:
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Re: Vanity Sizing...

Postby big_love » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:31 pm

I hear ya girl!!! It sucks!!! No wonder there are so many messed up girls with body issues and disorders and the like...I also hate when its the other way, and the clothes are a smaller make. My sister has a dress marked as an XL, and it would be lucky to be like a size 10!!!
140/117/85
big_love

Postby HappyBella55 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:37 pm

uh huh there is that side to contend with too.

I have a dress that is size 16 which is more like a 12.

Bl*&dy designers hahahahaha, they mess with our minds :twisted:
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby shelbel » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:23 pm

Im in total agreement here! I wish that sizing was across the board, then you could walk into any shop and not have to grab 5 different sizes to try on!!! :roll:
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby SarahC » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:51 pm

Me too!!! I just went into Portman's yesterday. Normally, I can't even get one leg into their size 6's (picture horrible muffin top plus camel toe, it's disgusting!!). Yesterday, I tried on a size 6 pair of pants becuase they didn't look that small... and they fitted :shock:

Target clothes are giant! I can't fit into anything there :(

Clothing sizes are stupid!!! I don't know why they even bother writing it on the label!
SarahC

Postby loveat116 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:54 pm

I find most clothes I buy are accurate eg. Sass & Bide, Tsubi, Bettina Liano Jeans are all true to size.

I find places like Sportgirl & Myer clothing to be accurate, as well as most designer.

However, Portmans, Cue and Country Road are all MASSIVE sizes. I am a 6 in Cue, 6 in Portmans (8 in pants) and a 4-6 in Country Road. Thats just not on lol.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby electrongirl » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:22 pm

I have 4 pairs of the same pants from Target that I got on the same day for work and they are all size 16's however 1 pair almost fall off me and 2 fit nicely and another pair I can't do up!!

Its ridiculous!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Jisgone » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:33 pm

i wish they would write the true size on clothes with stretch! i dont normally buy them cause they drive me up the wall so much, i have a pair of jeans that stretch to two sizes larger after ive worn them for an hour
Jisgone

Postby Siana-leah » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:37 pm

Boy!! do i know all about this!!
The annoying thing for me a few months ago was that i was too big for "normal" clothes (say from target) and too small for the bigger gal section....
Needless to say it drives me bonkers!!!
I looked up sizing on the internet and i found that each individual clothing store has their own measurement charts!! and they vary by up to 6 cms!!
So im at a loss as to what i am.....i think that overall the size that seems to fit most across the board is what you should stick to
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wWJeIU2/]
[/url]
Siana-leah

Postby electrongirl » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:45 pm

And its even harder when you go to a different country. America's sizing confused the hell out of me! I went there when I was a size 10 here and I think I was a like an 16 or something over there. It was crazy!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:28 pm

I don't really mind provided I can try the clothes on in the store. What upsets me is when I buy clothes on Ebay and then have to leave it to blind luck whether they will fit me or not! I have several size 12 dresses that swim on me, quite a few that fit fine, and a couple that I could barely fit around one leg let alone wear as a dress or skirt! (One skirt I'm convince is a children's size 12 it's that small!)
EvilWombatQueen

Postby electrongirl » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:35 pm

Thats why when I sell on eBay I measure everything and put as much info as possible!

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:53 pm

Admittedly I'm usually too lazy to check the measurements, unless they're they're the typical 'bust, waist, hips' info. So I've got to take some responsibility for my own woes I guess! :lol:

(I never leave negative feedback if the size doesn't fit. I figure the problem is due to the maker, not the seller!)
EvilWombatQueen

Postby LillyPilly » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:38 pm

I did not know that.

I shop at Target from time to time; and fit into size 12. I don't know about other stores as I do not go clothes shopping on a regular basis. Mostly because it saps all the energy out of me. I get anxious when I am in crowded places.

I do remember reading this or watching it on TV. In the States, the department stores have these machines, booth like which you step into, that measure the composition of your body and prints out the measurements and list which label of clothing will fit the sizing.
LillyPilly

Postby ProudMumOf1 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:08 pm

I'm agreeing with ya. I think that all shops and retail outlets should follow the same size guidelines!!!
Jennifer (Single Mum) 22

SW - 93kg on 12.01.08
CW - 84.3kg on 29.03.08
GW - 65kg

3rd MINI GOAL - 78kg (15kg lost) = $50 into Clothing Kitty ($150 TTL)
ProudMumOf1

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk