It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:45 pm

Free Newsletter

gained nearly 1 kilo o'night, is this why

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

gained nearly 1 kilo o'night, is this why

Postby sunshine » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:10 pm

So this week I have been to the gym mon, wed and frid morns, with several walks in between. Been really good with my food as well. On Friday morn I weighed 65.6, I went out for dinner Friday night and I had:- coke zero, bit of garlic bread, main dish of creamy garlic prawns and saffron rice (shouldn't have had it!) and a big salad. Went to the gym this morn (Sat) and I weighed 66.5 - so I have gained 900 grams overnight. I am a novice at all this so is it right that just having that one naughty :mrgreen: meal would make me gain nearly a kilo?

I just had an hour walk and am hoping that I can maintain my weight now so that I don't go up into the 67's again. Does your weight fluctuate like this, I know I should divorce the scales but I love seeing the change.
sunshine

Re: gained nearly 1 kilo o'night, is this why

Postby sammianderson » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:23 pm

dont worry bout it to much sunshine, your body is still processing the food from the night befor, it takes 24 hour for a meal to go thru and leave your body (something i remember from biology class when in high school) :P did you know if you weigh yourself in the morning by that afternoon/night you will have actually gained weight on the scales due to whatever you have eaten that day, thats why they say dont weigh yourself more than once a week cause you get false readings,

good luck
sammi
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNgwNCX/]
[/url]
sammianderson

Postby Mandie » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:56 pm

weight fluctuates a lot day to day - a big meal can show up on the scales, and you may have retained water from the carbs as well.

example of water retention and weights on scales:
Wednesday: 117.1kg, Thursday 116.5kg, Friday 115.2kg.

Did I lose two kilos from Wednesday? No! Did I gain two kilos from last Friday to Wednesday? No!

Just all water retention and big meals too late and stuff!

ALWAYS take what the scales say with a grain of salt. It's the TREND that is important. If you are getting losses most weeks, you're going the right direction. A one off higher number does not necessarily mean you have gained weight. Weighing daily can be depressing, because you WILL go up and down - I guarantee it! Try to weigh only weekly or fortnightly, and don't weigh after a big meal!
Mandie

Postby Fiona25 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:55 am

Don't worry at all. Whenever I go out for dinner and have something a bit naughty, or eat too late I am always at least 1kg heavier the following morning.

I am addicted to the scales but made the brave decision to lock them up and its been a few weeks now and I am finding it much easier to live without them. I plan to just do random weigh ins because the way I see it is that because this is a lifestyle change then I have to live in a way that I can continue this forever, and I can't be happy with weighing myself everyday forever.

A bit off topic there sorry! BUT, no, disregard this weigh in, within a few days your weight will be back down :)
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby sunshine » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:28 pm

Thanks everyone, if only I could lock my scales away :D Mandie I understand what you are saying about the TREND and that is what is happening with me eg for a couple of weeks I will be in the 67's, and my weight will vary 67.8 67.4 67.5 then the next couple of weeks i will go down to 66.8 66.7 66.5, so if this trend continues I will be very happy. Thanks all. Oh and I only use the gym scales as they are very accurate but they are like magnets and draw me to them :mrgreen:
sunshine

Postby ProudMumOf1 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:37 pm

You cannot gain weight overnight. It would just be because at the time of your weigh in you was holding more food or fluid in your body. Tomorrow morning you should find that you are back to your original weight or hopefully a tad less. This is why it's a good idea to only weight in minumum of weekly. I've had to get my scales hidden from me during the week :oops: They now only come out for an hour on Saturday mornings :lol:
Jennifer (Single Mum) 22

SW - 93kg on 12.01.08
CW - 84.3kg on 29.03.08
GW - 65kg

3rd MINI GOAL - 78kg (15kg lost) = $50 into Clothing Kitty ($150 TTL)
ProudMumOf1

Postby leeni.s2 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:05 pm

i have an extremely bad habit of checking the scales everyday.. but ive noticed that i always flucuate with the numbers, some mornings ill wake up and check, have a shower, check again and ive gained 1.5kg.. it just weird how it works..
i just go by the numbers every friday morning..
but that doesnt mean i cant help but check every now and then during the week.

start date; 15 feb 08
first mini goal: 88kg ; much needed haircut. - accomplished
second mini goal: 80kg ; not sure yet
leeni.s2

Return to Weight loss Talk