It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:50 am

Free Newsletter

:D Lets try new foods!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

:D Lets try new foods!

Postby Misstoodles » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:35 am

Hey guys (and gals of course!) not sure if this has been done yet, but I was thinking we should start a thread on different foods we've never had before.

I've been wanting to go to the markets and pick out a new fruit or vegetable I've never tried, google different ways to prepare it and then give it a go and write about my experience on here. It doesn't have to be just fruit or veggies, it could be any different types of foods you've never eaten or never eaten in a certain type of way before.

The whole idea is to get us exploring food! We're changing physically and mentally and I thought it's the perfect time to then discover some new likes/dislikes. It also gives us some new tools for preparing meals for ourselves or our friends and family.

Megs
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFyKFbn/]
[/url]
Misstoodles

Re: :D Lets try new foods!

Postby nutzy » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:16 am

I bought a packet of quinoa - not tried it yet though. Also want to try millet, bulgar wheat and tahini - what on earth is tahini? - I've seen it in a million recipes but have no idea what it is! I've been trying out loads of new recipes in my GI diet recipe book, in fact, I have decided that I will cook only according to the recipe book and try something new everyday. It's a bit expensive, but it certainly adds variety to my diet - although hubby's face was a joke yesterday when I made Thai red curry prawns with spaghetti - far too much lime for his taste although my daughter and I loved it.

SW: 76kg (08/07)
CW: 60.2kg (21/05)
GW: 55kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woT3JnX/]
[/url]
nutzy

Postby Tarz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:19 am

A fruit that everyone should try is dragon fruit the red one. (you can't tell from the outside which ones which but some are red on the inside and some are white. Red has more flavour) they are yummy. Costs way to much at coles but you can grab some from the markets for real cheap. It has a texture similar to kiwi fruit with the little seeds. I keep getting toldd to eat fruits of all diiferent colours and this is the one that i like for red.
Tarz

Postby Cac33 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:04 am

Not sure if this is really suited to this thread but I'll tell you anyway. I made sushi for the first time last night.
When I lived in Sydney I use to eat it quite regularly but there is no sushi place in Hervey Bay so I thought why not make it myself & then I know exactly what is going into it & will have a better idea of the calories consumed.

All you do is add rice vinegar to normal long grain rice then lay over nori sheets & your ingrediants then roll up & wet ends to seal. I made vegetarian ones with carrot, cucumber & avocado with wasabi & marinated chicken ones.

Will let you know how they taste after lunch :?
Cass

SW: 108.3 (4Feb08)
CW: 96.1
GW: 70
Cac33

Postby Tarz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:11 am

Cac33 wrote:All you do is add rice vinegar to normal long grain rice then lay over nori sheets & your ingrediants then roll up & wet ends to seal. I made vegetarian ones with carrot, cucumber & avocado with wasabi & marinated chicken ones.

What is nori paper and where do you get it? I would love to try home made sushi. i won't buy it at the shops because of to many stories about people getting sick. I'd really like to try the chicken ones. Make sure you let us know how you go.
Tarz

Postby loveat116 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:13 am

Tarz wrote:
Cac33 wrote:All you do is add rice vinegar to normal long grain rice then lay over nori sheets & your ingrediants then roll up & wet ends to seal. I made vegetarian ones with carrot, cucumber & avocado with wasabi & marinated chicken ones.

What is nori paper and where do you get it? I would love to try home made sushi. i won't buy it at the shops because of to many stories about people getting sick. I'd really like to try the chicken ones. Make sure you let us know how you go.

That really only happens overseas where they use actual raw meat. You would be completly safe with a chicken, beef or vegetarian roll (tofu is awesome!)

Nori paper is seaweed correct?! And its found in the international food section of supermarkets. You can buy a mat too, that makes the rolling easier.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby Cac33 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:21 am

Tarz wrote:

Sorry I forgot to say you can get both rice vinegar & nori sheets (seaweed) from asian supermarkets or from woolies or coles in the asian section.

Can't wait for lunch time to taste them :D
Cass

Cac33

Postby Tarz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:23 am

If yours turn out well then thats what i am making this weekend. Let me know. Thanks for telling me where to get the stuff.
Tarz

Postby hysterical_oliver » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:24 am

loveat116 wrote:
Tarz wrote:

That really only happens overseas where they use actual raw meat. You would be completly safe with a chicken, beef or vegetarian roll (tofu is awesome!)

Nori paper is seaweed correct?! And its found in the international food section of supermarkets. You can buy a mat too, that makes the rolling easier.

Its not just raw meat, its unhygenic food handling but it's not just sushi its anywhere people dont do food prep properly 8)

Nori is roasted seaweed and I recommend going to an asian food store and telling them you want to make it. I bought everything for under $10 including proper Japanese rice (its very different) rolling mat tuna nori and sushi powder. The sushi powder is really not essential but it tastes better with it in there :mrgreen:
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Postby sunshine » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:25 am

I really should try eating eggplant. Its wierd looking and supposedly tasty, I have heard people talk alot about this, but I don't even know how to cook it. Do you bbq it, or what, and tell the truth, whats it really like???
sunshine

Postby Tarz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:27 am

I haven't tried it myself because i keep thinking it will taste like zucchinin and i dont like that. but my mum use to chargrill it on the bbq, and also stick it in the oven and roast it with other vegetables.
Tarz

Postby Misstoodles » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:38 am

Thats one I wanna try too! Just the shiny purple draws me to it, lol:P Aparently if you grill it its good in homemade burgers??

I might go to the markets today, see what I can find! :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFyKFbn/]
[/url]
Misstoodles

Postby Cac33 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:18 pm

Tarz wrote:If yours turn out well then thats what i am making this weekend. Let me know. Thanks for telling me where to get the stuff.

They taste good!!! :D A little bit sticky because I made them last night & I think they would be better if you eat same day you make them but still pretty impressed with them. I'll be making more!

FYI The brand I used is Pandaroo
Cass

Cac33

Postby sammianderson » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:34 pm

Oh Cass your making me crave sushi, i was regulary making it befor starting on CS and now im not allowed to eat it :( rice is one carb food that is out on CS as well as potaoe and pumpkin and bread oh my more cravings, hubby has been bugging me to make them all week,

With my noris i normal put in avacado, cucumber (lebenese one) seafood extender, rice and the seaweed sheet, then i have a soy dipping sauce there really tasty...... arrrhhhh stupid no rice lol
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNgwNCX/]
[/url]
sammianderson

Postby ali76 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:13 pm

sammianderson wrote:Oh Cass your making me crave sushi

OMG - me too!!

I need to do some shopping tonight as we literally have no food in the new house (considering we've not stayed there yet!), so I think I might buy sushi stuff and try to make it myself!! GREAT thing to be able to make and take for lunch....YUM!

I've had lunch but now I'm hungry for more!!!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk