It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:18 pm

Free Newsletter

:D Lets try new foods!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: :D Lets try new foods!

Postby Czarina » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:29 pm

sunshine wrote:I really should try eating eggplant. Its wierd looking and supposedly tasty, I have heard people talk alot about this, but I don't even know how to cook it. Do you bbq it, or what, and tell the truth, whats it really like???

I love slicing it into 2-2.5cm steak chucking them in a marinade and cooking them on the barbie - yum!

If you are going to cook it in a pan, I would recommend zapping it in the microwave a bit first, so you won't have to use a lot of oil, as it will soak up quite a bit if you allow it!

And Tarz, I don't think it tastes anything like zucchini, so you should be safe to give it a go :D
Czarina

Postby Tarz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:11 pm

Czarina wrote:And Tarz, I don't think it tastes anything like zucchini, so you should be safe to give it a go

Thanx, i think cos it looks like it i assume it tastes like it.
Tarz

Postby electrongirl » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:04 pm

ok to answer a few peoples questions:

Tahini is made from ground sesame seeds. Its sort of like a paste/sauce. Its yummmmmm!!! Image

Eggplant is yummy too!! There are so many ways you can cook it. I like cutting it into slices about 1cm thick and grill it, or lightly crumb it and bake it in the oven.
Its hard to describe the flavour. I have been eating it forever so I am used to it. You can overcook it and it can go a bit rubbery but if you cook it properly its yummo!! It doesn't taste like zucchini!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby LillyPilly » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:49 am

At the markets yesterday I came across a vegetable called Lobok (sp?).

Has anyone on this forum tried it?
LillyPilly

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:57 am

Love this thread, mostly because I know most foods that everybody wants to try, LOL!!! The foods I'M not so good at are meats like roasts. I grew up in a vegetarian house so cooking meat is a little foreign to me, particularly roasts, but I've had a go a few times and it turned out ok LOL. Oh and I can't cook fish to save myself. Which sucks cause I love fish :(

i did go through a phaze where every shop I would buy a vege or fruit I had never tried before. It was fun.

Burghul/Bulgar wheat is best (IMHO) in a dish called tabouleh. If you want a proper recipe google it and it will come up with lots, but I just make it by the seat of my pants. About 1/4 cup dry burghul and cover well (double the amount) with boiling water and allow to soak until it all swells up and the water absorbs and it's just soft but still firm, like rice. Then drain any excess water, chop up roughly the same quantity of parsley as the burghul, maybe a bit less, and some mint if you like (I leave it out but some people like it) dice a couple tomatoes and some red onion if you feel the need. Crush a garlic clove and mix with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and the juice of one lemon (some people also add vinegar), mix together and strain onto the tabouleh. Mix though and eat. Adjust the amounts to taste. Should look like roughly 1/3 each burghul, tomatoes and parsley, give or take, maybe a bit more parsley than anything. Just a nice balance of colours in a base of green. You should be able to taste the tang of the lemon but not overpowering, adjust it as needed.

Really nice as a side dish with nice marinated kebabs or something similar.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby MagicGirl79 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:39 am

Eggplant is fantastic - very yummy! We chop up eggplant, zucchini, carrot & onion and BBQ a vegetable mix in balsamic vinegar, tastes fantastic. I also add eggplant to rattatouille - sooo yummy!

I haven't ever tried Tahini, what do you mix it with?
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby MagicGirl79 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:40 am

nutzy wrote:I bought a packet of quinoa - not tried it yet though. Also want to try millet, bulgar wheat and tahini - what on earth is tahini? - I've seen it in a million recipes but have no idea what it is! I've been trying out loads of new recipes in my GI diet recipe book, in fact, I have decided that I will cook only according to the recipe book and try something new everyday. It's a bit expensive, but it certainly adds variety to my diet - although hubby's face was a joke yesterday when I made Thai red curry prawns with spaghetti - far too much lime for his taste although my daughter and I loved it.

Hey nutzy, what did the quinoa taste like and how did you cook/prepare it? I read online that it's high in protein and a really good snack food.
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby Czarina » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:38 pm

Tahini is one of the key ingredients in hommus. Just blend up chickpeas with a spoonful of tahini, a few cloves of garlic and a touch of olive oil - delish!
Czarina

Previous

Return to Weight loss Talk