It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:55 am

Free Newsletter

How do you know when you have lost enough?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

How do you know when you have lost enough?

Postby nutzy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:30 am

I have set my goal weight at 55kgs and am about 63 odd kilos now. I started gaining weight after the birth of my daughter 16 years ago, and before I fell pregnant I weighed about 52kgs. I was 27 and I am now nearly 44. In my opinion, I have not aged particularly gracefully as my hair went grey when I was in my early 30's and although I used to colour it I don't anymore but everyone says it's a nice grey coz it's kind of streaky, and although I am not terribly wrinkled, I do have some sun damage and slimming has caused some sagging particularly along the jawline and under the chin. Further weight loss will inevitably cause more sagging and reduced elasticity in the facial skin will probably cause my face to wrinkle more the thinner I get - I really don't want to be thin and ugly, so where do you draw the line. I also don't want to stop now because I am still quite overweight.

SW: 76kg (08/07)
CW: 60.2kg (21/05)
GW: 55kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woT3JnX/]
[/url]
nutzy

Re: How do you know when you have lost enough?

Postby SarahC » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:55 am

I reckon, once you're within the healthy weight range for your height, you can draw the line whenever you like. It just depends whether you are happy or not :wink:
SarahC

Postby HappyBella55 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:20 pm

To me, enough is when you can say with affirmation and conviction that you a happy with your body. I don't think anyone can rightly say what weight is right for an individual apart from that individual. Also ensuring that you are still within the healthy limit and not the underweight limit.

My goal has changed over time. Initially I wanted to get back to 55kgs. BUT, looking back through photos I have of me weighing 55kgs I know I won't be happy when I reach that weight because when I last weighed 55kgs I was skinny fat. Now my new goal is between 50-48kgs (I am very small framed and short) this is not a an unhealthy weight for me. I have discussed this with my doctor (whom I've had as my doctor since my teens) and she said this is fine as it falls in the lower end of my healthy weight range.

So maybe go consult your doctor?

ummm genetics factor in too. I always felt like a giant standing next to my mother and sister as they are both petite (one is short and one is tall) but know I am slowly seeing my frame emerge under all that fat that was once there and I too have the same body frame as them. My point being have a look at your family genes. It might help you determine what weight is right, this would only work if your family is within the healthy weight range.
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby nutzy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:08 am

Thank you both! I am afraid of looking haggard coz I'm not in my first flush of youth and so would need to take my age into consideration. I am afraid my face will be thin and wrinkly and yet still have enough body fat to happily feed a pod of killer whales. :lol:

SW: 76kg (08/07)
CW: 60.2kg (21/05)
GW: 55kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woT3JnX/]
[/url]
nutzy

Return to Weight loss Talk