It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:29 pm

Free Newsletter

How to incorporate more protein into your day?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

How to incorporate more protein into your day?

Postby MagicGirl79 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:12 pm

Ok so I used calorie king today and plugged in everything that I've eaten. I'm within my calorie intake, however, if I look specifically at the breakdown of what I've eaten my protein for the day is too low (this could explain why I'm tired and craving sweets in the afternoon?).

My carbs & fats are almost spot on what they should be, but I need more protein in my day. Today I've eaten 64g and should have had 114g. Any suggestions on how I can incorporate more protein?

Today I ate protein at lunchtime (a serving of chicken tandoori, breast meat, prob about 200g with sauce & veg in it), I also ate protein at dinner (a WW frozen meal, beef hot pot, so meat & veg only in sauce). I will also have a protein shake after hockey training.

I'd say they are the only sources of protein today - I prob need some sort of snack that is mostly protein? Because I don't eat protein much at breakfast. Maybe I should try adding in another protein shake in the afternoon as a snack, although this probably isn't a dietary change that will last the rest of my life.

Any hints/tips greatly appreciated...
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Re: How to incorporate more protein into your day?

Postby electrongirl » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:47 pm

do you like eggs? I often have a boiled egg as a snack.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby la1982 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:37 pm

tin of tuna in springwater - low cals, low fat and carbs and good source of protein all in a handy portion!
SW 74kg
GW 55kg Achieved 31.1.08
CW 54.6kg
Body fat reduced from 38% to 20.2%
la1982

Postby la1982 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:59 pm

ohh and tofu!! Plain or prepackaged in a marinade.
SW 74kg
GW 55kg Achieved 31.1.08
CW 54.6kg
Body fat reduced from 38% to 20.2%
la1982

Postby MagicGirl79 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:23 pm

I'm not a huge tuna fan, but perhaps one of those flavoured Greenseas cans might be ok? Cheese is a good source of protein too isn't it, shame about the fat in it though!

I eat eggs for breakfast a couple of times a week, but according to the WW plan, you're not meant to eat more than 7 per week. I guess I could eat one a day as a snack and not have them for breakfast?
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby SarahC » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:17 am

Eggs are a great snack. Even better is egg whites. You can get them in powdered form and just add water, that works out waaaayyyy cheaper. I can't remember exactly, but I think I paid around $80 or $100 for a 3kg tub of the stuff BUT 5g is equal to one egg white...... so in 3kgs, that's 600 egg whites :shock: Ok, that's enough maths for me lol. Anyway there's tonnes of things you can do/make with it so it's worth the investment :D

Also, I have noticed a lot of protein-rich snack foods coming onto the market recently. Like protein cookies, puddings, pancake mixes etc. Has anyone else noticed this???? A lot of them are really low in carbs/sugar as well. That might be worth looking into...
(I'm a fan of http://www.completehealth.com.au they have a great range of all kinds of things and they have really good customer service as well)

I also make my own protein bars, muffins and pancakes, which are delicious, if I do say so myself! Would be happy to post a couple of recipes if that's of interest 8)
SarahC

Postby MagicGirl79 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:36 pm

Some high protein muffins, bars etc would be great to make. Feel free to email or post the recipes on here Sarah, that would be great!

I was searching on the net last night and came up with a few other alternatives that I'm going to try also:

Salmon
Cottage Cheese or Low-fat cheese (apparently cottage cheese mixed with fruit is yum?)
Beans

So when I'm in the supermarket tonight stocking up on healthy food, I'll keep my eye open for high protein snacks that aren't too high in cals.
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby HappyBella55 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:52 pm

Have you seen the Special K cereal that has high fibre and high protein? I've been thinking about buying it as I too need to increase my protein intake.

Other sources that I eat on a regular basis are:
*legumes: bake beans, chick peas, lentils, red kidney beans etc.
*Have a glass of low fat milk or soy milk (and add protein powder?) as a snack
*I love nuts. I make a trail mix with walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds,sultanas, dried apricot and dried apple. It is delish and very filling.
*Add lean meats to your sandwiches? I like having chicken, tuna, turkey and cold beef in tortilla wraps with salad.
* I also make a silk tofu mayonnaise. Its the bomb! I use it in sandwiches, in salads, in my pasta salads, with potato.

I love tofu and always add it to my stir frys
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby HappyBella55 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:54 pm

SarahC wrote:
I also make my own protein bars, muffins and pancakes, which are delicious, if I do say so myself! Would be happy to post a couple of recipes if that's of interest 8)

YES please :D The bars and muffins would make a good snack option.

Do you buy the egg white substitute from that website you provided? I'm just being lazy and can't be bothered checking to see lol :lol:
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby SarahC » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:59 am

Done :D Just put a couple of my faves in the recipe section.

Yep you can get the egg whites from complete health. I think it's in the "protein section" under "egg white albumen" :wink:
SarahC

Postby brendong » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:22 am

Tuna and eggs are probably my favourite but..

- Meat, poultry and Fish. Choose Lean meat and poultry. A palm sized serve is enough.
- Legumes (e.g. chickpeas, baked beans).
- Eggs.
- Dairy foods (e.g. milk, yoghurt, cheese)
- Nuts, seeds, wholegrains.
- Vary the types of protein foods you eat and don’t just rely on red meat, which can be high in Saturated Fat. Try plant sources of protein (e.g. legumes) occasionally and have fish more often. This will benefit your overall health.
- Vegetarians should vary the plant protein foods they eat over the day. This will help them to get all the amino acids they need.

cheers

Brendon
brendong

Postby Adam Sanderson » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:05 am

First, I can't believe that you do not get enough protein? You said you ate both chicken and drank a protein shake! I my humble opinion that should be enough...

I eat chicken almost everyday ( I like chicken) and drink a shake everyday and that fills my needs with room to spare...

What brand for the shake do you use?
Adam Sanderson

Postby nutzy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:11 am

I'm also too lazy to get up and look at the packets, but I think quinoa and couscous are sources of protein too?!? Yes, they are..... I had to get up and check. I lllloooovvve couscous (wholewheat naturally) and quinoa is just as good. Actually, I think I get too much protein.......mmmmmmgggggggllllllll - *[img]gurgling%20like%20Homer%20Simpson[/img]*

SW: 76kg (08/07)
CW: 60.2kg (21/05)
GW: 55kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woT3JnX/]
[/url]
nutzy

Postby nutzy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:12 am

nutzy wrote:*[img]gurgling%20like%20Homer%20Simpson[/img]*

What? I mean....*gurgling like Homer Simpson :oops:

SW: 76kg (08/07)
CW: 60.2kg (21/05)
GW: 55kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woT3JnX/]
[/url]
nutzy

Postby MagicGirl79 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:41 am

Adam Sanderson wrote:First, I can't believe that you do not get enough protein? You said you ate both chicken and drank a protein shake! I my humble opinion that should be enough...

I eat chicken almost everyday ( I like chicken) and drink a shake everyday and that fills my needs with room to spare...

What brand for the shake do you use?

I was simply going off the calorie king recommendations. Not sure what the brand of protein shake is but it has 24g of protein in a serve (28g serve). My protein total for the day should be 114g, since snacking on more protein I'm getting up to that point.

If I have chicken + protein shake only then that only equals about 60-70g protein, hence why I need more protein in my day.
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk