It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:17 am

Free Newsletter

Weight Loss targeting Tummy and Chin!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Weight Loss targeting Tummy and Chin!

Postby Gavin » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:13 pm

Hi all,

FIrstly I just wanted to say thanks for a great forum. I started googling for a weight loss/fitness forum hoping to find something - and this was better than I could have hoped. Good on you all for creating this community.

I'm 30 years old male, was always quite fit in my youth, did soccer when young, then martial arts when older. Even though I've been working in IT (in front of computer all day), I've been quite THIN up until the last few years. In the past few years I've started to get a bit of a gut (stomach) and the other thing that really irritates me is i'm getting a slightly larger 'chin' (double chin?) both of these aren't big by any means, I'm probably close to the right BMI, or only a bit over, but I can tell if I don't get my act together now, it'll go down that path.

So I really want to do whatever it takes to try and lose this weight from my stomach and neck/chin/face! I bought a bike a few months ago, but haven't been riding too much. I also went to play tennis the other day with a friend, and really enjoyed that. So I intend to continue both of those. But what I'm really wanting to know is what is the BEST, most EFFECTIVE way to lose that annoying weight quickly? (Where cost is not an issue). Is the GYM better than Bike riding/tennis? Running? something else? I've been told that sit ups dont actually help you lose weight off your stomach, and that it's just a myth. Will cutting out something like drinking coke make more difference than all of those together?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks again all - keep up the good work!

Gav
Gavin

Re: Weight Loss targeting Tummy and Chin!

Postby electrongirl » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:24 pm

A balanced low fat diet and a mixture of weight training and cardio exercise is the best. If you have a little bit of weight to lose on top of the toning, all these things will help.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Moomoo » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:39 pm

I don't think there is a safe way to loose annoying weight quickly or we would all be doing it! :D

It's just hardwork and determination -Burn off more calories/kilojoules than you eat and you will loose weight.

Boxing Fitness training is a great calorie/KJ burner (not fighting just the training bit!) - you never see a boxer with a bit of a tummy!

If you drink full fat coke I would suggest swapping to Diet or drinking it less often? It's packed with sugar. On some diets/weight loss programmes Diet coke is "Free" (drink as much as you want)

You just need to find a weight loss programme that suits you and your way of life to make it work.

Good Luck!
Moomoo

Postby Siana-leah » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:08 pm

I do know that the activities you listed will certainly get the weight off because they are cardio. Doing some weights is recommended as well...
the more muscle u have the more fat u burn.
A mixture of activities is great aswell. Good luck!! :D :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wWJeIU2/]
[/url]
Siana-leah

Postby brendong » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:00 am

You can't strictly lose "fat" from any particular area of your body. (which is what you want really.. not weight as such, semantics i know..)

You are genetically programmed as such to lose from fat from certain areas of your body first (its different for everyone, and its always the bit we hate that comes off last!).

A healthy eating plan and consistent cardio and resistance exercise is the key. And a good dose of time.

Remember there are far more benefits to cardio exercise (and resistance exericse for that matter) than just Fat loss!.
If you do it for the right reasons.. it will be far easier to maintain.

A pretty good way (and by that i mean palatable.. its an animation thingy) to view the benefits of cardio exercise is at: http://www.lifeadvantage.com.au/benefitsofcardio/

I do it for the other benefits now.. and the fat loss is a second. (or at least i tell myself that :wink: )
Cheers

Brendon
brendong

Postby Gavin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:01 am

Thanks for your help all, I really appreciate it.

Regarding not being able to lose 'fat' from particular areas of the body, I thought that might of been the case, but wasn't sure. What a PITA! :) Oh well, I'll keep at it. On this topic, is it even possible at ALL to lose weight from your face? And same with beer guts? (Not mine so much, which isn't TOO big yet), but sometimes it seems that people are just completely unable to lose their beerguts. A friend talked to me about 'different types of fat', and how that stomach fat is often even more difficult to lose?

Anyway, I have started going go the Gym every day (only 5 days so far, but I think I will stick to it). I've been doing between 20-40 mins cardio (on the treadmill, or tennis) pretty much every day, and weights every second day so far. I definitely 'feel' better already. Although unfortunately I haven't lost even a single kg yet. Should I be doing longer cardio than that each day?

Question, how long do you think it takes before you start losing weight, given this regime (roughly), and a more balanced diet? Are we talking 2 weeks? 4? 8? more? Very curious to know. And don't worry about sugar coating it, I'd rather the cold hard truth! :)

Thanks again!
Gavin

Postby Tarz » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:24 am

Your off to a good start, but i think you need to do more cardio. Try to do 40 minutes to 1 hur cardio. To lose weight you really need to get you heart pumping. The more you do the more you will lose. Even if you break it into 30 min morning and 30 min evening. Also make dure you do cardio before you do strength, you will burn more calories that way.
Gavin wrote:but sometimes it seems that people are just completely unable to lose their beerguts.

Do you drink beer often? Maybe try and cut it right down until you get into the swing of things.
It won't take long before the weight will start dropping but it will take probably 6-8 weeks for it to be noticable. Just power on as much as you can and soon enough the weight will be coming off at a steady pace.
Tarz

Postby Gavin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:51 am

Tarz wrote:Your off to a good start, but i think you need to do more cardio. Try to do 40 minutes to 1 hur cardio. To lose weight you really need to get you heart pumping. The more you do the more you will lose. Even if you break it into 30 min morning and 30 min evening. Also make dure you do cardio before you do strength, you will burn more calories that way.

Hey thanks for the advice!! I appreciate it. You know the guy at the Gym told me to do weights first, THEN cardio! But I sort of thought that soudned a bit odd? Mind you he said that "cardio doesn't really do much for you" as well, so maybe he was just more of a weights guy. So in general its better to do cardio before weights?

He also said to do 3 lots of cardio a week. 2 sessions of 20mins, and then one main session of minutes or so. But a number of people I've spoken to, yoruself included Tarz, have said 1hr each time!! So I think i'll start trying to do one hour cardio instead! Something else I read said that fat only really starts burning AFTER 30 minutes.. Not sure if that's true? (I think I'll forget everything that Gym guy told me)

Another question on the topic of cardio, On the treadmills it shows different brackets of heartrates, and 'what it does'. it shows that 121 - 170 or something is the 'cardio zone'. And the machine tends to sit in the lower end of htat bracket (fast walk pace). But I'm assuming the faster you run, higher the heartrate, for longer, the more fat you burn, is that right?
Gavin

Postby Tarz » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:58 am

I got told by the trainer at my gym that you do cardio first to get the heart rate up and to warm your muscles before hitting weights. And cardio does do lots for you!How could a trainer say that?!?!
Basically when it comes to how much cardio you should do depends on what your body can handle. You don't want to overdo it if your not use to it, but aim for 40-60 minutes to get the heart really pumping.
I'm still learning alot of this myself and don't fully understand the heart rate brackets, some one else might be able to jump in there. The way i see it is the harder and longer you run or walk the higher the calories which is what i want. A good sweat out won't hurt :D
Tarz

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:37 am

Cardio will burn lots of calories. Weight training builds muscle. However, that additional muscle continues to burn extra calories 24 hours per day while the cardio only works while you're doing it (and for a short time afterwards). So in that regard cardio doesn't do much for you compared to building muscle. However cardio exercise is important for cardiovascular health and it's good for weight-loss because of the extra calories it burns. But remember strength training is also very important to prevent muscle loss while you are losing weight. Sparkpeople had this question put to them a while ago and they answer it far better than I could: http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/as ... s.asp?q=65

Ideally you only want to do light cardio to warm up before strength training. Anything more will leave you exhausted and that could be dangerous before using heavy weights! Some trainers recommend not to do heavy cardio work after strength training if you're trying to build muscle. Your glycogen reserves will be low from the previous work-out and you'll end up using muscle as well as fat to fuel your cardio work. Others think it's fine to do weights before cardio. Sparkpeople has a great article on this issue: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fit ... asp?id=773
(I'm starting to sound like one long Sparkpeople ad!)

As to the amount of cardio, if you're just starting out then don't aim too high too fast! It's the perfect way to injure yourself or put yourself off exercise forever! Most of the people here worked their way up to 1 hour cardio sessions over time. As Tarz pointed out, that's 1 hour per day not per session. You can break it up into smaller sessions. If you do 20 minutes intense cardio at the gym perhaps add a couple of 20 minute walks in to your day as well. Jumping in and expecting to run on a treadmill for an hour at a time straight away would not be a good way to start off. Start with the 20 minute sessions your trainer recommended. Talk to him about why he wants you doing only 20 minutes. He could have a very good reason.

If you ever have doubts about how your routine is structured ask your trainer. He's trained in this area and like most people I'm sure he'd love to show off his knowledge! If he's telling you to do things in a certain order for a given period of time there's probably a good reason.
EvilWombatQueen

Return to Weight loss Talk