It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:47 am

Free Newsletter

am i underweight?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Am I underweight?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:40 am

yes
40%
no
60%
maybe or unsure
No votes

Total votes : 5

am i underweight?

Postby losebabyfat_2005 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:40 am

I'm 156cm and 50.6kg, what I want to know is, does anyone think that weight is actually underweight or is it ok?

I know that my problem now is opposite of what you all are going through, I'm struggling to gain weight when you are all trying to lose weight, I just need someone with an unbiased opinion to reply to this message.

Sorry for ranting

Tanya (19)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wgD7vDi/]
[/url]
losebabyfat_2005

Postby Groovychic » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:22 am

Hi Tanya.........do you feel comfortable at your weight???? I think that is the most important part of any weight loss issue. If you are not happy with the way you look then you need to change it. As for your height and weight. Well ok it is probably in the bottom of your weight range but that's ok. You are probably scared to put on weight again in case you put on a lot more than you want. You are young and it is quite normal to be quite thin for your age. Tho a lot of girls your age are rather large! A lot more than when I was your age. When I was 18 or 19 or so I weighed around 53 or so. But I am 160cm and have a small to medium frame. You are probably a small frame. So no I don't think you are underweight. But you must be healthy. So as long as you are eating good food, exercising each day for 30 mins to keep your heart strong, then I think you are going just fine. You have to go on how you feel. If you are happy with how you look then that is great. Don't forget tho that your new body will take a little while to get used to. Don't put on weight just because someone says you are too thin.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby losebabyfat_2005 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:34 am

thanx for your reply, it was much appreciated, on wednesday I went to a get together for a group I'm involved in and one of the women (who has commented on my weight loss everytime I've seen her since about november) said to me that I'm getting smaller everytime she sees me and that I'm wasting away. What she doesn't realise is that I'm not trying to lose weight anymore and am actually trying to gain 1/2 a clothes size to be an 8, at my smallest 3 weeks ago I was a small six in pants which in my opinion is way too skinny.

Sometimes I am scared that I'll lose 2 or 3 more kilos and look truly anorexic, my ribs already protrude and my upper tummy caves in but as I've have a 9 month old baby girl my lower stomach has a bit of pooch/ loose skin (i don't know what it is exactly) which is why I think I still walk pretty much every where and until recently worked hard out at the gym.

I'm working on my self-esteem and at this stage the only real reason I want to gain weight is to get my boobs back.

thanx for anyone who reads my long discussion

tanya
[/url]
losebabyfat_2005

Postby KimE » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:13 pm

Hi Tanya

I think you are in the normal weight range for your height. I use the Body Mass Indicator (BMI) to help me with that as this gives you an indication of where you are. There is one on this site so you may want to check it out.

Having said that I agree with Groovychic and ensuring you are healthy through good eating and exercise is the way to go.

Regards
Kim
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Dolly » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:19 pm

Here's a chart to help you work it out. :D - http://www.whathealth.com/bmi/chart-metric.html
From what I see you are spot on perfect.
Dolly

Postby losebabyfat_2005 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:27 am

well I guess I'm not underweight it's just how other people are making me feel, and that this is the skinniest I've been since I was 12.
[/url]
losebabyfat_2005

Postby Dolly » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:06 pm

Yes Tanya, family and friends who have not seen you this slim in a long while (and sometimes jealous friends) will often comment that you've gone too far. Be brave and ignore them, they'll soon stop.

Congratulations on maintaining your goal!
you're a winner and a great inspiration to us all Image

hugs
Dolly

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:56 pm

Well it's kinda hard to tell over the internet, but it might be an idea to check with your doctor. If you're still exercising lots to lose loose skin on your tummy (loose skin won't go away by exercise, I don't think), you might be losing more than you should from the rest of your body. A doctor would be the best person to ask.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Dolly » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:13 pm

That's a good idea!
Dolly

Postby losebabyfat_2005 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:58 am

Thanks for all your replies, I think I may just bite the bullet and go to my doctor to see what he thinks. But at least now (thanks to you all) I know I'm not medically speaking underweight. I guess i just get worried because my sister (11 years old) got me try on her hoodie jersey and I fit it, I sort of freaked out!

Thanx 4 all your help

Tanya
[/url]
losebabyfat_2005

Return to Weight loss Talk