It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:14 am

Free Newsletter

Lap Band Surgery

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Lap Band Surgery

Postby charlimc » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:10 pm

Hey Everyone! yes i keep appearing and dissapearing just like me going on and off the wagon to weightloss, I'm back this time because i have been thinking and researching alot of time into getting Lap Band surgery. Working in a plus size clothing store i have had quite a few customers come in telling me about thier experinces with this surgery and it has only just motivated me more into doing this. I have made an appointment with my doctor, earliest i could get is the 7th of April to get a referral to the Dr i have heard so much about. I am not looking at this as an easy way out, but something that can greatly assist me in achieving the results i need. I feel that i have reached the point where i havnt been able to feel satisfied with what ever diet, plans, pills whateva ive done this seems to be the only option left for me to do as it will force me to feel full with less food, some peoples opinions on this havnt all been very positive but im trying to look past what others think and focusing on what i think about it all. So Hopefully fingers crossed all will go well with getting my referal to see this Dr and being able to get this surgery done.If there is anyone on here that has had the surgery or knows anyone who does i would love to hear about your experience.

I am so tired of letting my weight be my excuse on holding me back from so many things i want in my life!

will keep you updated

Charli x
charlimc

Re: Lap Band Surgery

Postby electrongirl » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:25 pm

Make sure you get as much expert opinion and information on it before you make any decision.

Also talk to people who have done it who have either had success or failed. That way you will get a better understanding on what needs to be done after surgery.

Its a very big decision to make and one you have to live with for a long time. So take your time and really think about it alot.

And we will support you no matter which way!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby charlimc » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:33 pm

Thanx Nikki :) i am definatley searching to hear from all experices people have had. Lap Band surgery seems to be best fit for me because its not a gastric bypass where they accually cut half your stomach off, with Lap Band surgery it is where they put a ballon type tube around you stomach which can been made tighter or loser at any point and can also be removed, so it is reversible, which i feel more comfortable with after doing alot of research on the different types of surgeries available. Also after the surgery is is required of me to see a Nutritionist and a phyciatrist.
Charli x
charlimc

Postby GoddessInside » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:51 pm

I don't think I could live on 240mls of food each meal !

I've had two friends who have recently had the procedure done and have regretted doing it mainly due to the restrictions on food, alcohol, the works.
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby nutzy » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:15 am

Is this the surgery where you can't vomit or belch afterwards - not that I want to vomit mind you, but you never know when you're gonna have to :wink:

SW: 76kg (08/07)
CW: 60.2kg (21/05)
GW: 55kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woT3JnX/]
[/url]
nutzy

Postby charlimc » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:57 pm

no i dont think it stops you from vomitting, in fact i think if you eat more than you stomach can hold at one time u will vomit
Charli x
charlimc

Postby electrongirl » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:04 pm

Maybe this site will help those people who have questions about it:

http://www.lapband.com.au/index.html
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby charlimc » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:00 pm

Thank You Nikki for going to the effort of finding that information, and clicking the Lap Band Surgery link it gave a detailed descripion on the procedure. Like i said i have done my research and i found this one out of the others to best suit me and oviously im going to get my doctors opinion and possibly ( hopefully ) a referral.Its is ovious that some of you dont think im making a good choice or think im lazy whatever, i have had it all and this is what has held me back before because of other peoples thoughts on it, but im set in wanting to really get this done and i have made the choice to really look into it I just want to know that if i do get this surgery done that i can come here and get support.
Charli x
charlimc

Postby electrongirl » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:50 pm

Hey Charlie,

I thought it was easier that way than you having to answer a million questions!! That way everyone can see what you are talking about etc.

I don't think its the easy way out at all. I think its a very big decision to make and I don't think having the Lap Band is an easy thing to adapt to, so people saying its the easy option are being ignorant.

I just hope that you are 100% sure before going ahead with it as its a big commitment to make!

But I will support you 100% no matter what!!

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Jisgone » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:52 pm

ide love to get this surgery, but i like my food too much hehe :P

my uncles sister got this surgery and she ate nothing but choc milk and any other liquid junk she could find and was horrified when she didnt lose weight! funny lady :P

i think its great that your researching all your options and getting as much info as u can, its a big jump (and expensive!) so its good to see youve got your eyed wide open going into this :) good luck!
Jisgone

Postby charlimc » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:22 pm

I appreciate you help in finindg info Nikki :)
Jeweles yes your friend would have not been able to lose weight if all she was putting into her body was junk, your stomach is made small and it oviously restricts the amount of food you take it so you need to make sure that you are putting good healthy foods into your body. I know that just because my stomach would be smaller dosnt mean i can eat crap. I can eat healthy food but feeling satisfied and full was my problem, sorry is my problem.
I watched the acual surgery up close and personal on you tube but i had to close it because it accually made me go throw up lol and now i cant get the thought out of my head.
Its going to be hard and most probably painful and im going to need to make sure i get myself toned up as much as i can so i dnt end up with terrible saggyness everywhere.
This is a new stage in my life a few weeks ago i left my partner and that was a very hard but strong thing to do because i wasnt feeling that i was getting what i needed in the relationship, he has accually come back wanting to try so we are going out on dates etc to see how it goes, im giving it a second chance, but at the same time im making sure that im carrying on with all the things that i want to do, i am not moving back in with him, im accually staying at my mums atm while i get my self on track and get a place of my own. I have so many things that i want to accomplish inside and out and i dont want anything holding me back. So this is i spose gives you an understaning on where im at right now and what im trying to do for myself. I can put a band around my stomach, but i cant put a band around my head and how i feel about myself is going to take alot of work, i have made the step in accepting that i am worth so much more than this i just need to stay on the path and not settle for anything less.
Charli x
charlimc

Postby marina64 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:33 pm

Hi Charli,
I have had Gastric Bypass surgery done, and have had big success so far! In 6 months I've lost 30kgs, without even trying.!Yes, not being able to eat much seems restrictive, but when you don't want to eat - it's no big issue.
Just one word of warning, this is a lifetime decision - yes it is reversable, but you can't just have the band loosened whenever you want to go partying - it is a massive life change! You learn to go out to dinner with other people and watch them eat a large meal, while you eat your one little spoon-full. On the positive side - when you eat very slowly, you get to enjoy the people that you are with, and not focus on the food in front of you! :)
Do go and talk with the nutritionist, they have great ideas and are a great help.
The surgery itself is no big hassle - mostly you are in for a couple of days and then go home. I had some soreness after the surgery, but not too much and I have three young children, who love cudling up to mummy - my tummy survived - didn't hurt too much at all!
If you want to ask me any questions - I would be happy to answer them!
Cheers
Marina
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wgOpFGy/]
[/url]

http://marinasjourney.blogspot.com/
marina64

Postby help6363 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:58 pm

charlimc wrote:Hey Everyone! yes i keep appearing and dissapearing just like me going on and off the wagon to weightloss, I'm back this time because i have been thinking and researching alot of time into getting Lap Band surgery. Working in a plus size clothing store i have had quite a few customers come in telling me about thier experinces with this surgery and it has only just motivated me more into doing this. I have made an appointment with my doctor, earliest i could get is the 7th of April to get a referral to the Dr i have heard so much about. I am not looking at this as an easy way out, but something that can greatly assist me in achieving the results i need. I feel that i have reached the point where i havnt been able to feel satisfied with what ever diet, plans, pills whateva ive done this seems to be the only option left for me to do as it will force me to feel full with less food, some peoples opinions on this havnt all been very positive but im trying to look past what others think and focusing on what i think about it all. So Hopefully fingers crossed all will go well with getting my referal to see this Dr and being able to get this surgery done.If there is anyone on here that has had the surgery or knows anyone who does i would love to hear about your experience.

I am so tired of letting my weight be my excuse on holding me back from so many things i want in my life!

will keep you updated

Charli x

Good luck with your decisions! There is a lap band forum ......I know people who have had the lapband, if you want their email addresses please feel free to PM me
help6363

Postby charlimc » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:45 pm

Thank You Marina i would LOVE to keep in conact and hear about your experince.
I have my appointment on Monday for my referral so its not 100% that im getting it its up to the dr if he gives me the referral in the first place, i hope so tho.
I accually had a customer come in yesterday that i reconised from school and she had lap band done 8 weeks a go at the same clinic that i want to go to and she is having great success.

help6363 wrote:
charlimc wrote:Hey Everyone! yes i keep appearing and dissapearing just like me going on and off the wagon to weightloss, I'm back this time because i have been thinking and researching alot of time into getting Lap Band surgery. Working in a plus size clothing store i have had quite a few customers come in telling me about thier experinces with this surgery and it has only just motivated me more into doing this. I have made an appointment with my doctor, earliest i could get is the 7th of April to get a referral to the Dr i have heard so much about. I am not looking at this as an easy way out, but something that can greatly assist me in achieving the results i need. I feel that i have reached the point where i havnt been able to feel satisfied with what ever diet, plans, pills whateva ive done this seems to be the only option left for me to do as it will force me to feel full with less food, some peoples opinions on this havnt all been very positive but im trying to look past what others think and focusing on what i think about it all. So Hopefully fingers crossed all will go well with getting my referal to see this Dr and being able to get this surgery done.If there is anyone on here that has had the surgery or knows anyone who does i would love to hear about your experience.

will keep you updated

Charli x

Good luck with your decisions! There is a lap band forum ......I know people who have had the lapband, if you want their email addresses please feel free to PM me

Where is this lap band forum ?? would be great
Charli x
charlimc

Postby Mandie » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:48 pm

Charli - you're in Perth right? pm me the name of the clinic/surgeon you wanted to go to, I know most of the surgeons who do lap banding in Perth and I can tell you which ones are good and which ones are dodge :)
Mandie

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk