It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:51 pm

Free Newsletter

How do you keep going?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

How do you keep going?

Postby Elliot » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:37 pm

Hi! This is my first post on here. I'm really private about my battle with weight usually - and so this is going to be such a great outlet for me! I got married 3 1/2 years ago and put on about 10 kg with each year and then had a baby on top of that - and ever since I've really battled to get it down. I couldn't believe it when I weighed in at 99.1kg - i remember when I was so upset that i was 68 - now i'd kill to be that again! I'm down to about 90.6 - and just seem to have hit that wall i always hit when trying to lose - i just lose motivation and NEVER seem to get past here. I'd like to think i can keep going and actually reach my goal - but somehow i just don't believe i can really do it.

How do you keep going? I seem good at starting but don't know where to go from there.

Re: How do you keep going?

Postby Moomoo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:27 am

I sound similar to you I always start, do a few weeks and then give up, The only way I seem to be able to do it and stick to it is by having a BIG goal (this time I'm getting married) I guess that's about as big as it gets!

You need to really want this to be able to achieve it and I REALLY want a memorable day with fantastic photos - That's how I'm sticking to it this time!

This place is fantastic for motivational support stay here a while and I'm sure you will find it easier

Take care & Good luck

Postby SarahC » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:25 am

I've got a bit of paper stuck on a wall in my bathroom which has the date of every Saturday weigh in written down the side. Then each week, I record my weight on the paper (next to the pre-written date of course). So, I can see my progress, be that good or bad, every day it's there in front of me. I find that to be very motivating.

At the moment, my paper has written accross the bottom of it "YES YOU CAN!!!" (I've been struggling and need the reminder!! 8) )

Postby nutzy » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:19 pm

I think it's important to have reachable goals, so instead of saying that 68kgs is your goal weight and you are currently 99kgs, rather say that 95 is your short term goal and work from there. Also, taking photos of yourself as the fat melts away is important for motivation. Stick them on the refrigerator, or on your cupboards in the kitchen where you can see how much is actually coming off.

My motivation was born out of not being able to find anything to wear that looked good on me. Buying new clothes was not a treat because I looked like a lump in everything. Then one day, my husband said that if I could lose weight and get down to a size 10, he would buy me a lovely outfit no matter what the cost. I was a size 16/18. It was not so much the fact that he was going to buy me a new outfit, but it was the motivation behind it. eg, you are unhappy the way you are, and so let me help you do something about it. Look, here's a carrot! I'm down to a size 12 now, with just a bit more than 8kgs to go, which I hope to reach before August this year (coz I started dieting in August last year). It's going slow even though I rarely cheat, and do lots of exercise and drink lots of water, but apparently the slower the weight comes off the better, so I'm going to stop moaning about that soon.

Anyway, good luck! And remember that we are all in the same boat in one way or another, so you will find plenty of support on this forum.

SW: 76kg (08/07)
CW: 60.2kg (21/05)
GW: 55kg

Postby Adam Sanderson » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:58 am

When I started out I was 125kg! I lost the first 15kg fast, then it came to a halt. I started interval training, it has helped me a lot! I still do it when I'm out walking. I am now down to 95kg! So, keep going! You will get there!
Adam Sanderson

Return to Weight loss Talk