It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:44 am

Free Newsletter

need some advice

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

need some advice

Postby jilliansmyhero » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:48 pm

just wondering when everyone does there weights and how long do u spend doing them i.e legs/back/shoulder for 25mins once a wk kinda thing. i read a couple of times lately that some people do there weights workouts just twice a wk and for 45mins.
jilliansmyhero

Re: need some advice

Postby help6363 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:06 am

I spend 3 x per week doing weights for an hour per session. I started off doing slowly and built up to this.

There is a site called Spark People which has FREE information about weights. They have illustrations and a guide for weight training.
help6363

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:21 pm

When I was going to the gym I was doing 45 minutes for a total body work-out 3 times per week. I did it on Monday, Wednesday and Friday to allow my muscles a day to rebuild between strength training sessions.

Now that my schedule doesn't fit into my gym's opening hours I'm trying to do the same at home with mixed success. I really need to pull my finger out or discover a way to tack another hour onto each day!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby tzad2000 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:00 pm

The gym I go to has the sort of training mentioned earlier. 2 sessions a week for 45 minutes. The aim of training in this time is almost all weights with only marm up/down cardio. The training system is called HRT - (High Repetition Training) & the aim is to do reps of 20-25 not the normal 12-15. Once you can do 2 sets of 20 comfortably then its time to increase your weights. The idea is that as you build more muscle your body is able to work more efficiently & therefore burn fat better. Also with doing 20 reps you really do get your heart rate going as well & believe me you will be sore.
All the best.
START YOUR JOURNEY TO GREATER HEALTH TODAY!!
http://www.journey2greathealth.org
tzad2000

Postby soon2bayummymummy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:38 pm

EvilWombatQueen wrote:When I was going to the gym I was doing 45 minutes for a total body work-out 3 times per week. I did it on Monday, Wednesday and Friday to allow my muscles a day to rebuild between strength training sessions.

Now that my schedule doesn't fit into my gym's opening hours I'm trying to do the same at home with mixed success. I really need to pull my finger out or discover a way to tack another hour onto each day!
tzad2000 wrote:The gym I go to has the sort of training mentioned earlier. 2 sessions a week for 45 minutes. The aim of training in this time is almost all weights with only marm up/down cardio. The training system is called HRT - (High Repetition Training) & the aim is to do reps of 20-25 not the normal 12-15. Once you can do 2 sets of 20 comfortably then its time to increase your weights. The idea is that as you build more muscle your body is able to work more efficiently & therefore burn fat better. Also with doing 20 reps you really do get your heart rate going as well & believe me you will be sore.
All the best.

wow what did u both do in each session? is it possible to do it in just 2 sessions a wk if ur after toning? i dont go to the gym but gosh if i could do it in just 2 sessions would nice, hmmm
soon2bayummymummy

Postby HappyBella55 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:45 pm

EvilWombatQueen wrote:When I was going to the gym I was doing 45 minutes for a total body work-out 3 times per week. I did it on Monday, Wednesday and Friday to allow my muscles a day to rebuild between strength training sessions.

yep, my PT says you need to leave time in between to allow your muscles to recover. Or if you want to work out with weights everyday train different muscle parts everyday; that way your not exhausting your muscles and allowing them to rest and recover. That's what my boy does and boy does he have a great bod...I mean muscles :P :lol: :mrgreen:

JMH -Even twice a week, which is what I do is good for you :D

EvilWombatQueen wrote:Now that my schedule doesn't fit into my gym's opening hours I'm trying to do the same at home with mixed success. I really need to pull my finger out or discover a way to tack another hour onto each day!

EWQ - what time does your gym open? Mine opens at 6am and I know a lot of other gyms have early opening hours, I know you've probably already tried or thought about getting up an hour early to get exercise in. It gets it out of the way so you don't have to worry about it later on and gives you a boost of energy. But then again if your not a morning person.... :D
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:37 pm

My gym's hours are 9am - 9pm Monday, Wednesday and Friday and 3pm - 9pm on Tuesday and Thursday. After hours is out because it's too damn busy and now that most of my meetings are scheduled on Monday and Wednesday mornings it buggers up my routine entirely (I used to go at 9am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday).

If my gym opened earlier I would so be there. There are other gyms close by with better opening hours, but they're not as cheap as the PCYC and I can't afford them on a student's budget. :(

On the upside, I've been using the weights at home regularly this week so now I just have to schedule my cardio work back in. It's been tough because I've had a house guest this last week, but we've been going on heaps of walks to show her the city. Usually about 2 hours per day!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby HappyBella55 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:01 pm

EvilWombatQueen wrote:My gym's hours are 9am - 9pm Monday, Wednesday and Friday and 3pm - 9pm on Tuesday and Thursday. After hours is out because it's too damn busy and now that most of my meetings are scheduled on Monday and Wednesday mornings it buggers up my routine entirely (I used to go at 9am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday).

If my gym opened earlier I would so be there. There are other gyms close by with better opening hours, but they're not as cheap as the PCYC and I can't afford them on a student's budget. :(

On the upside, I've been using the weights at home regularly this week so now I just have to schedule my cardio work back in. It's been tough because I've had a house guest this last week, but we've been going on heaps of walks to show her the city. Usually about 2 hours per day!

I see what you mean about not fitting into your daily schedule. Poo to the gym for not having better opening hours :( :( I'm sure they would get a lot more clientele if they had better opening hours.

Oh yeah I've lived on a student budget and gym memberships aren't cheap. I joined the gym last year when I went back to full time work. I quite my full time job after 1st semester of my final year and mid way through my second I was going nutty with so much spare time on my hands so went back to full time work and only then could I budget in a gym membership.

I was chatting with some people at work and there are rumors that gym memberships will be going up by at least $200 a year :shock:. They said something about the aerobics classes going up from 90 cents to $31 :shock:. I don't understand why there would be such a huge hike up - that's just crazy considering gym memberships already cost over the $700 dollar mark :twisted:
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby shelbel » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:42 pm

HappyBella55 wrote:
I was chatting with some people at work and there are rumors that gym memberships will be going up by at least $200 a year :shock:. They said something about the aerobics classes going up from 90 cents to $31 :shock:. I don't understand why there would be such a huge hike up - that's just crazy considering gym memberships already cost over the $700 dollar mark :twisted:

Its because the music industry are wanting to charge more for the use of their music. It could see nightclub and pub entrance fees start or increase also. Its likely to sent some folks of of business! Kinda sucks because its a massive jump!
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:52 pm

Nah... just encourage the gyms to give some work to up and coming DJ's. Support the local music industry, shaft the big corporations and keep prices low.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby HappyBella55 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:09 pm

shelbel wrote:
HappyBella55 wrote:

Its because the music industry are wanting to charge more for the use of their music. It could see nightclub and pub entrance fees start or increase also. Its likely to sent some folks of of business! Kinda sucks because its a massive jump!

Like the music industry doesn't make enough money already :twisted:

It sure does suck :x
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

HappyBella55

Return to Weight loss Talk