It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:39 pm

Free Newsletter

Calorie Counting - Do you really need it?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Calorie Counting - Do you really need it?

Postby loveat116 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:40 am

Various personal trainers have told me that you dont NEED to calorie count to lose weight. And sometimes should only be implemented if your not losing weight.

What do you all think?

I think its a good idea to look at calories of the foods you eat, to get an idea of what portions you eat. But I dont think obsessing over every little calorie/fat/carb/protein/sodium grams is really worth it.

What do you all think is the most EFFECTIVE method of weight loss (in terms of losing kg)
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Re: Calorie Counting - Do you really need it?

Postby matchbox » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:32 pm

majority of my loss so far (nearly 20kg) i did without calorie counting. however i did look at the fat of most foods i ate - if there was too much fat i wouldn't have it. now i just try fit it into my calories, which rly isn't a smart idea cos my fat is always way over lol. i'm not really counting at the moment to be hones, i prefer not to, but sometimes like you said it helps to see what's in what you're eating.
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby Czarina » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:12 pm

I like to count my calories, I can sleep at night knowing I'm doing what I need to do. If I didn't count, I would worry too much about the whole thing, I think. Calorie counting is definitely working and gives me peace of mind - I love it! :D
Czarina

Postby Fiona25 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:07 am

When I started calorie counting my weight loss became so much more consistant. I now know enough about calories to do a rough calculation each day, but as much of a PITA it can be, counting every little calorie on CK really does help. I need to get back to doing it!
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby Jisgone » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:32 pm

i love calorie counting now :P especially if i have enough cals left at the end of the day to fit in a bit of dessert hehe
Jisgone

Postby holly80 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:45 pm

i cant follow it to be honest.. But i think if you eat well and excerise you dont need to do that..

Holly

Every 5 kilos off= Pandora Charm

SW: 86kg 31/8/06
CW:
WL:
GW: 75kg

Rule your mind or it will rule you.You may delay, but time will not !!!
holly80

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:11 pm

I did calorie counting for a while and for a while it was effective. But then I plateaued and the only way I beat that was to stop counting calories. I think the problem for some people (like me) with counting calories is that the body soon adjusts the metabolism to match the calories you are consuming. And if you are already consuming the fewest possible calories you should then it doesn't really leave you any room to cut more calories. I think it's useful to start off with as an indicator of which foods are better than others, but once you have a good idea of what you should be eating it may suit some people better to simply listen to their hunger signals.

For some people it definitely works, for others there can be more effective ways of modifying your diet.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby janderson99 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:07 am

If you are going to count calories then you should consider using one of the online weight loss tools such as (LINK REMOVED AGAIN) which allows you to record calories eaten, calories burnt and your calorie deficit. You need to see how effective your dieting is in terms of a calorie deficit, which will help you to burn fat. The calorie deficit is the difference between the calories eaten in food and calories burnt through exercise and maintaining your body. Look for software or an online system that allows you to enter your weight, calories eaten and burnt, and one that calculates and records your calorie deficit in a diary and displays your information on a graph.
janderson99

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:33 pm

I don't calorie count. It depends on the person and how they are progressing - if you're having trouble losing weight without counting it might be something to try.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby chubbywife79 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:36 pm

Right now I'm calorie counting and it working out really well. Not including today and already gone over! I find it good and make me watch what I put in my mouth.
chubbywife79

Postby ali76 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:34 pm

When I first started on this lifestyle change, I did count everything - and I'm glad I did!! I was trying to eat low fat food which is great, but had no idea that some low fat foods can be crazy high in calories. I also learnt that you don't have to deny yourself treats if it's in your calorie allowance (as well as learning about some not so naughty treats - ie choc billabong ice creams, 98% fat free and under 100 cals!).

I obsessed about it for a good couple of months, but now that I feel more confident and educated in whats actually in the food I eat, I don't do it so much. I now know to check the energy count on food as well as the fat content and can work it out myself!! :mrgreen:
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Return to Weight loss Talk