It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:40 am

Free Newsletter

5 Thought Provoking Questions...

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

5 Thought Provoking Questions...

Postby Livy » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:34 am

Hi Everyone,
Thought I would write a post... I was thinking this morning about how I got here... and wondered about all of you.

Q1. How did you become so overweight in the first place?

Q2. What is the hardest part of being overweight?

Q3.Would you consider surgery if it was offered for free, or if you could easily afford it?

Q4.What are the most memorable comments people have made to you about your weight that you will never forget?

Q5.What do your freinds and family think of your weight?
Livy

Now, to answer my own questions!

Postby Livy » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:52 am

It has just gradually happened over the years. I have never been particularly excercise concious and hate sport and everything related to it. So, with no exercise, and gettting older, giving up smoking, and having kids, the weight has just crept on until I have reached the point I am at now, whereby I am considered obese and very unhealthy.

There are so many 'hard parts'. The hardest though would be thinking my little girls are ashamed or embarrassed by me.. I know this isn't true, my little baby is too young, and Mikaela says often "It doesn't matter that you are fat Mum, I love you anyway". I just remember my Mum coming up to the school, the way she was dressed and the like and I remember wishing the ground would swallow me up. I want my girls to feel proud when I walk into their school. I kind of relate to that guy on the biggest loser who's little boy told him to wait around the block.

Q3.Would you consider surgery if it was offered for free, or if you could easily afford it?

Absolutely NOT. I have put myself into this mess, I will get myself out of it. I also think that surgery is a cheats way out....Overall, all that pain, needles and healing, I just don't feel that strongly about the way I look making me beautiful. I could never justify it. However, I would not judge or think badly of others who have done it. If I had big ears, or small eyes, or tiny breasts or a big ugly nose, I might feel differently, however my only problem is my weight, not my looks.

Q4.What are the most memorable comments people have made to you about your weight that you will never forget?

When I told my Mum I had hit 87kgs, she was so shocked I could hear her sigh over the phone.... then she just said "OH MY GOD LIV"...

I remember showing my husband a photo of me and my 4 sisters, and asking who was the best looking (loaded question I know), and he replied "I don't know who is the prettiest, but you're the biggest". I was shattered. He didn't mean it cruelly, he was just making an observation.... He doesn't care what size I am, however he is very, very fit, and has a gorgeous body, and I am sure he would be much happier if I was slim.

Recently, I went to a BBQ, and felt pretty good, I was all dressed up, had my face on, jewlerry, looked lovely. When I got up to get my lunch, a really large lady approached the table and gave me a smile... she leaned over and whispered "Us BIG girls have to stick together hey love!". I couldn't believe she thought I was 'big'.

My husbands Boss's wife has made many comments over the last several years, but probably the most memorable are...
In front of a group of Mothers at the school, that I had just met, she said "Liv's built for comfort, not for speed, aren't you Liv?!". I was so humiliated. I asked her how I looked one day when I was going out, and she commented "Very Elegant Liv, even overweight girls can look pretty".

Hardest of all, was when I was working a couple of years ago, this is when I was about 10kgs smaller than I am now. I went into this office supplies to buy some paper, and the lady behind the counter asked "When is the big day??"... At the time, I had just gotten a brilliant job, and thinking this is what she meant, I replied, "Oh, I start my job next Monday."... she looked confused, and it wasn't until I left the shop that it clicked that she meant "When is the baby due?"... OUCH

My best freind and husband know how sensitive I am so they don't mention it... however, over the years, there have been many comments about diet and exercise in my direction. I have skinny sisters, who all play sport 3 times a week, go powerwalking and eat salads at restaurants. Let's just say, I don't fit in.
Livy

Postby Dolly » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:23 am

I developed a faulty thyroid gland called hypothyroidism because my doctors kept misdiagnosing my ovarian cysts.

eating a once per frotnight treat of a 99% fat free choccolo ice-cream at the local shops and having everyone pull faces at me thinking I must indulge in fat ice-creamsf all the time to get the way I am :cry:

I wouldn't have surgery to remove fat but I would have surgery 2 years after losing fat (when the shrinkage has gone) to remove sagging belly skin and angel wing skin.

Sister-in-law saying if I did more physical work I wouldn't be so fat (of course I heard this through the family grapevine, she wouldn't dare say this to my face)

Over the years they still always tell me to lose weight each time I see them, they would always talk about diets they have heard about yet they would then make me a coffee and place a big fatty cake on the table, everyone would indulge in a couple of pieces except me :cry:
I always say to my husband I wonder how long it'll be before they bring up the topic of how is your diet going? how much weight have you lost? I just want to visit without them seeing a fat person that needs working on. I've told them to not talk about diets but it still happens.
Dolly

Postby Groovychic » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:14 pm

What a great topid Liv. You have done well. Here are my answers.

Well I'm approx. 10 to 12 kgs overweight, so everyone says I'm not overweight but hey 5 years ago I weighed 57kgs. But prior to that I was hovering around 64 to 66kgs. I hit 71kgs just before christmas and retreated into depression! I've always had a bit of a tummy, even when I was a teenager. I eat too much junk food. I always have. And as you get older your metabolism slows down. I'm the biggest in my family. I'm the same as you Liv and have 2 thin sisters, my mother is thin and my biological father is thin, same with both their siblings and parents. So, biologically I shouldn't be this size. My partner is slightly plump as well, tho only about 7 or 8 kgs overweight too. In winter he loses it because he plants pine trees for 2 months and the weight just falls off him. HHHMMM ok maybe I should do that this winter!!! And then he spends the rest of the year putting it back on. His problem is drinking beer! He knows that if he cuts out the beer he can lose the weight but he enjoys a few beers each night. And it's totally up to him if he wants to do that. He very rarely says I look fat. But after christmas, think it might have been New Years day actually, he said to me, have you put on weight because you are looking a lot fatter. At that point I had put on a kilo but I hadn't exercised very much for the last couple of months, hence the muscle had disappeared! So technically I had probably put on about 4 kilos really because the muscle had gone. But I think that was probably my wake up call. I joined the site on the 2nd Jan!!!

The lumps and bulges in my clothes! I hate seeing the lumps under people's shirts and things. I've always bought a slightly bigger size so that people wouldn't be able to see that. I really hate it. And the fact that most of my clothes were feeling really tight. I didn't want to have to go out and buy more clothes. And I could just imagine the guys at my partner's work thinking geez she's getting a big arse on her! I know they would have been thinking that. They may have had the odd comment to my partner but he wouldn't have cared about that.

I would only have surgery to get rid of my loose skin on my tummy after weight loss. And a boob lift is really want I want. After breast feeding two children for 8 months each they are a wee bit saggy baggy now!!! But I would not even consider it until I was at an ideal weight and had maintained that for a considerable amount of time. Like a reward for keeping thin.

No one has really said anything to me about my weight. My mother quite often said do you really think you should eat that, but other than my partners comment about me looking fatter, there really hasn't been. I always thought that the guys at his work were thinking my arse was getting big, because I hear them say that about other women so I would assume they said it about me. And maybe a few people in town. But nobody said anything to my face like your husband's boss's wife Liv. It has shocked me that somene could say things like that. Some people just have no morals!!! When I tell people what I weigh they all say no way do you weigh that. I do hide it very well. I probably looked like I weighed about mid 60's when I was 71. But now people ask how much weight I have lost and I tell them 1.5kgs and they are like no way you have lost more than that. But on the scales that is what I have lost. Visually I have most likely lost about 4kgs. Actually my partner said last night that he could feel the muscles in my bum now when he gave it a sqeeze(sorry for that but just had to add it in!!!......I'm don't normally talk like that but I was so proud). So I have bum muscles now!!!!

Well they think that I don't really need to lose weight. I am plump and I don't like the way I look so I want to lose the weight. But again they sabotage me. Not on purpose but they think my weight is ok, just a little rounded! And I have to admit I have sabotaged my girlfriend a bit. She has done so well and lost 10kgs and she came here the other day and I made her a hot choccy with marshmellows!!!! Stupid stupid me! It was yummy tho. And I guess you have to realise that when people say go on have a bit that they probably don't do it because they are trying to stop you losing weight, they just forget. If they are having nasty comments, like have been directed at you Liv, then that is another thing. If that had been me I would have slapped her!!! I think you ought to stay away from her as much as possible.

My main objective really is to start eating healthy! And hopefully then my weight will come off. I've always been a big exerciser anyway, I've just upped the tempo a bit with the treadmill now. I love the treadmill. I think I am exercising better now, in the time I have. I do exercise for longer than I used to but I always did around 45 mins before anyway.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Re: 5 Thought Provoking Questions...

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:12 pm

How did you become so overweight in the first place?
not sure, probably just because I had a negative attitude to exercise and low self esteem so i didn't want to exercise in case anyone saw me puffing, and I also used food as a soother which I link to a childhood experience.

What is the hardest part of being overweight?
the difficulty of enjoying life with joint pain and puffing at the slightest incline, finding nice clothes that fit - oh and seeing the photos

Would you consider surgery if it was offered for free, or if you could easily afford it?
No. Or at least not to get rid of fat because it wouldn't address the real issue. I would have surgery to get rid of excess skin that you can't exercise off after you've lost a lot of weight, however I don't seem to be getting that problem - maybe I'm young enough for my skin not to do that.

What are the most memorable comments people have made to you about your weight that you will never forget?
My sister accidentally saying "Gee you must hate shopping with me because I can wear whatever I pick off the rack and you can never find anything to fit". Obviously she didn't mean it the way it came out and she felt terrible afterwards for saying it, but the truth does hurt.

What do your freinds and family think of your weight?
My friends an family love me for who I am and have always told me I am beautiful and praised me for all the good qualities that I have. However they have also been honest with me and told me that it would be beneficial to lose some weight for a whole host of reasons - all of which are true. I say FRIENDS and family because people who have been negative or judged me for my weight I have never counted as friends.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby KimE » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:12 pm

I too found this to be a gradual thing just a few kilos each year over the years. Not exercising and not worrying overmuch about what I was eating or how much.

Knowing how unhealthy I am. Being obese on the BMI when I don't feel obese. Buying clothing.

No! I feel I will not appreciate it or work at keeping the weight off if I don't work for it.

My cousing telling me that I was always on the chubby side. Then I thought what a cheek even if it was true....now I think what an understatement!

Friends are surprised I am trying to lose weight as they thought I didn't worry about such things. Family is supportive I think my mother has always wanted me to be healthier as she eats well and exercises and is in better condition than I am.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Return to Weight loss Talk