It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:33 pm

Free Newsletter

Does it get easier?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Does it get easier?

Postby yellowroses » Sun May 04, 2008 2:21 pm

Just a question for those that have lost a lot of weight, have been on the weight loss thing for a while or those who are part of the maintenance crew:

Does it get easier as time goes on?

By 'it', I mean - eating healthy, exercising regularly etc. Does it become second nature to do the healthy things or is it constantly a battle against the flab?
Goal for 2010: Be at most 99.9kg by 31st December 2010

Final Goal: 68kgs.

I'm taking back my life.
Check out my vlog:

Re: Does it get easier?

Postby Tarz » Sun May 04, 2008 2:43 pm

Hi Yellow rose,
I have been going since begin of January and wouldn't want to go back to the way i was. I love eating the healthier foods. I just went a way for a week and missed my vegetables like crazy. It may take a little while to get into it but it will get easier because you will feel better and look better and be able to do so many more things then before. Its only a constant battle against the flab if you eat crappy foods. Also if you do a sport you enjoy then you don't feel like your exercising at all. You just need to have a more active lifestyle.
You'll do great, anytime your motivation does waiver jump on the site, it usualy works for me.

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun May 04, 2008 3:17 pm

As Tara just said it definitely gets easier! After a while what initially seems to be a chore becomes a habit. You no longer have to remind yourself to eat healthful foods or do exercise. However, it's important to remember that it's not always easy. Sometimes you're going to feel more motivated than other times. But it becomes much, much easier to give yourself that little push when you're feeling like you can't be bothered.

A big motivator is seeing the results of all your hard work! It's difficult in the first few weeks because you have to focus on how you're going to look and feel in the future rather than how you look and feel right now. Humans are psychologically coded to want immediate gratification. That's what makes it so hard to go for that run in the evening when all you can think of is huddling up on the couch in front of the telly! However once you start losing the weight and revelling in your newfound fitness and thinner body it becomes much easier to remind yourself why going to the gym is a much better activity than going to Maccas!

Hang in there. It really does become second nature after a while!

Postby Jisgone » Mon May 05, 2008 12:14 pm

it definately gets easier :) it becomes a habit and just the way u live

i lost 40 kilos, then went on a holiday for a month got out of the habit and piled 15 kilos back on so im trying to get back into the swing of things again

Postby ali76 » Mon May 05, 2008 12:59 pm

I agree with all the girls!

For me I think it's become easier for the simple fact I'm more educated!! I ate what I thought were the right things and avoided what I thought were the wrong things....and in most cases I had them the wrong way around (for example, I'd eat low fat food without knowing the high sugar / calorie content)! I think Calorie King was a HUGE help with this....I don't need to write down everything anymore because I have a better than rough idea of what fits into my calories, and how to achieve a 60% carb, 20% fat and 20% protein diet.

I agree the best thing to do with exercise is something that you enjoy - whether it be walking outside, doing a gym class or dancing like a maniac to your fav music on your ipod!

Don't worry - i know it's tough at the moment, but you'll find what works best for you.

Good luck!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)

Postby hysterical_oliver » Tue May 06, 2008 12:16 am

For me it has become soooo much easier now. I have hardly done any exercise and have relaxed my diet a little over the past month and have maintained my weight. I find it a lot easier to resist old bad habits and try new better things. It's hard to start with but if you are in the right frame of mind youcan acheive anything you set out to. Once you overcome our own barrier it should become a lot easier for you :mrgreen:
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg

Postby GumBoots » Tue May 06, 2008 2:25 pm

HMMM I dont know if I fall under the "lost a lot of weight, have been on the weight loss thing for a while or those who are part of the maintenance crew" But I changed my lifestyle on the 2nd of January this year and I have never really found it hard. I sometimes go to just grab something out of the fridge "just because I can" then snap myself out of it. Exercise and eating healthy fresh foods are not just part of my families life.

Return to Weight loss Talk