It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:20 am

Free Newsletter

Losing weight with a treadmill question

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Losing weight with a treadmill question

Postby James83 » Sat May 17, 2008 1:35 pm

Hey guys i'm a 24 yo male and i currently weigh around 105KG. I would like to go down to around 85-90KG and was thinking of renting a treadmill/jogger for a month. If i use the treadmill daily up to 3 times a day would i be able to lose the 15-20KG in a months time? Thanks for any advice.(most of the excess weight is on my stomach)
James83

Re: Losing weight with a treadmill question

Postby James83 » Sat May 17, 2008 1:39 pm

Ps: if your answer is NO then whats the max i could i lose in a months time?
James83

Postby soon2bayummymummy » Sat May 17, 2008 2:31 pm

ok well some questions are, do u have a manual or eletric treadmill? what speed can u get up to on it? how long are u planning on spending on it each time for the 3 times a day u want to be on it? what other exercising are u doing? how is ur eating? as u need to watch ur eating and be burning more than what ur eating.
soon2bayummymummy

Postby yellowroses » Sat May 17, 2008 4:57 pm

Hrm well... the thing is, if you do that for a month, and lose all of that weight and then stop doing it, you're most likely to gain it all back on soon afterwards. The faster you lose the weight, the more likely it is that you won't be able to maintain it. Generally you should be looking at losing about .5 - 1kg a week for healthy weight loss, and unless you think you will be able to maintain working out 3 times a day for the rest of your life on that treadmill, then I would consider an alternative option to lose the weight, or at least go consult your doctor to see how much you can lose healthily in a month.

You may want to look at trying some sort of meal substitute, like the Tony Ferguson shakes, or Optislim or something, in order to help aid your weight loss. But see your doctor first I reckon.
Goal for 2010: Be at most 99.9kg by 31st December 2010
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wePqDKj/

Final Goal: 68kgs.
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcytIxC/

I'm taking back my life.
Check out my vlog: http://www.youtube.com/yellowroses89
yellowroses

Postby James83 » Sat May 17, 2008 5:56 pm

Thanks for the replies

the treadmill is: 2.0 HP motor (peak).
Running speed between 0.9 and 12 km/h.
Manual incline system

I'm not sure how long i should be on it maybe you can suggest a time frame?

yellowroses:
I never in my life had weight problems. I was always under 80KG. But then i was put on anti depressants and they made me gain weight badly. Ive stopped the meds now and lost a bit of weight but i want to go down to how i used to be before the meds. So i dont think i will gain it back once i lose it because i could always eat as much as i wanted to and not gain weight.
James83

Postby soon2bayummymummy » Sun May 18, 2008 10:07 am

well id suggest atleast 30mins on it going for a fast speed for 30secs-1min then slowing down then up again. id add some skipping and weight training. maybe try the c-5km? i think some do it on there treadmills. make sure ur eating enough and make sure ur eating enough of each food group as being on the medication might of changed how well u body burns now depending how long u were on them for. Goodluck.
soon2bayummymummy

Postby James83 » Sun May 18, 2008 11:27 am

Thanks i will try that. How much do you think i could lose in a months time?
James83

Postby Moomoo » Sun May 18, 2008 3:23 pm

First thing my personal trainer does when I do my warm up is put the incline up! She said for me to always do it with the incline on
Moomoo

Postby James83 » Mon May 19, 2008 10:32 am

Thanks for the tip.
James83

Postby electrongirl » Mon May 19, 2008 10:44 am

James83 wrote:Thanks i will try that. How much do you think i could lose in a months time?

Thats like asking how long is a piece of string...

You could lose nothing or you could lose quite a bit. There are to many variables to give you an amount.

If you exercise and cut down your calories you are bound to lose something. But weightloss varies so much person to person that there isn't a set amount that you can lose.

Don't put expectations on yourself and just aim to get healthy and then after the month be happy with whatever result you get.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby soon2bayummymummy » Mon May 19, 2008 5:22 pm

well depending on how much u do end up exercising and how good ur diet is theres no reason u cant lose between 2-10kgs or more look at the biggest losers, but yeah id say try for 4kgs but since u want to lose a bigger amount within the month just plan and track and make sure your doing atleast 30mins a day of cardio but try and get 1hr or more if u want those results within a month.
soon2bayummymummy

Postby HappyBella55 » Mon May 19, 2008 6:45 pm

electrongirl wrote:
James83 wrote:
If you exercise and cut down your calories you are bound to lose something. But weightloss varies so much person to person that there isn't a set amount that you can lose.

Don't put expectations on yourself and just aim to get healthy and then after the month be happy with whatever result you get.

Great reply :D

James, men do lose weight quicker than women. One thing to note is the unrealistic expectations. weight loss is doable and your goal weight is achievable but to do that in a month, that's a bit unrealistic and unsustainable dude :mrgreen: if you aim to lose 4kgs in a month and achieve more then fantastic.

12weeks would be a good time frame to lose 10+kilos.
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby James83 » Wed May 21, 2008 1:09 am

Thanks i'll try that then. 8)
James83

Return to Weight loss Talk