It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:15 pm

Free Newsletter

Starting my weight loss - tips please

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Starting my weight loss - tips please

Postby Vida » Sun May 18, 2008 12:57 pm

Hi,

I'm new here & I hope that I have written this in the right thread!

Here's my story - When I was in my teens years up until I was 28 years old I have always been that skinny tall girl (even though I thought I was fat).

I then got married & put on around 5 kilos in 8 years - which was fine. Then finally I was blessed & got pregnant. During my pregnancy I put on 14kg (which apparently is good) & lost 10kg as soon as I gave birth with only 4 kilos to loose.

Now here's the bad part - I was involved in an accident when my baby was only a few weeks old & since the accident & the amount of pain I have been in, I have put on at least 20 kilos due to my back & leg injury.

It's been over 2 years now & I finally joined a gym. My goal is to loose 20 kilos! Can anyone offer me some advice food or exercise wise to assist me with my goal.

My back & leg will never be the same but if I don't loose the weight, then eventually I won't be able to walk or move due to the pain I am still in. I also don't think me taking pain killers every day will help with my weight loss.
Vida

Re: Starting my weight loss - tips please

Postby holly80 » Sun May 18, 2008 6:40 pm

sorry to hear about your accident. At the moment, I am just watching what I eat.. I have started to cut down on the carbs, eating salad and vegies and snacking on fruit and youguhrt... I am trying to have protien with dinner, only small amounts though and starting to excerise for 30 min each day..
Its taken me AGES to get into this routine, but its worth it now. Oh plus i try and drink 2 liters of water every day

I started a similar thread a while ago.. I am not sure how to add links to posts but if you look its on this page... Sorry I couldnt be much help

I got to say though, I dont think I could lose weight without this forum, so welcome and start posting :D you will be amazed at how much you learn from here

Holly

Every 5 kilos off= Pandora Charm

SW: 86kg 31/8/06
CW:
WL:
GW: 75kg

Rule your mind or it will rule you.You may delay, but time will not !!!
holly80

Postby yellowroses » Sun May 18, 2008 11:50 pm

Hi there! Welcome :)

I would suggest to just start off very slowly, watch what you eat mainly, maybe join calorieking or weight watchers or lite and easy to help count calories and keep an eye on what you're eating.

Because of your injuries I reckon you shouldn't push your body to do more than it can. Just start of with some slow easy exercising, maybe walk slowly for about 10mins a day, kick a ball slowly up and down the back yard, maybe some tai chee (sp?). Get yourself into a routine with food, and small amounts of exercise.

Alternatively, you could try using something like tony ferguson shakes to lose a lot of weight rapidly to allow yourself to exercise more or harder, and to help get some strain off your injuries.

I hope all goes well, check in with us and let us know :)
Goal for 2010: Be at most 99.9kg by 31st December 2010
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wePqDKj/

Final Goal: 68kgs.
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcytIxC/

I'm taking back my life.
Check out my vlog: http://www.youtube.com/yellowroses89
yellowroses

Postby milkyway » Mon May 19, 2008 8:02 pm

Sorry to hear about your accident :( Are you starting your weightloss under medical care? Do you have any advice regarding exercise from your doctor or a physio etc.? I think swimming would be a great non-weight bearing exercise to do, but I really don't want to dispense advice given your situation.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby silvister » Fri May 23, 2008 4:44 pm

you can loss your weight ,with diet plan, you are not write about how much calories you take per day, another option for you for weight loss, you can take the help of yoga, this is very much helpful for you for weight loss and fitness. but before that take your doctor advice.
silvister

Postby mjessica89 » Sun May 25, 2008 5:07 pm

Hi Vida, I'm sorry for your accident :( I will agree with yellowroses, start your exercises slowly since you have injury. You should consult a doctor regarding your injury to see which kind of exercises are suitable for you. Meanwhile, you can go on a diet to lose some weight. Trying to go for 1200-1500 calorie diet :) or maybe some special diets that are proven to be effective. I have followed a diet called Calorie Shifting that requires alternation of amount of daily caloric intake, personally I received some results from it.

Anyway, most importantly, you should really care for your health since you have injury at your back. If you mishandle this, it might transform into chronic problems :(

Jessy
My daily routine :
Diet - Follow the free 7 days diet plan from the Calorie Shifting website (a very useful diet plan :) )
Exercise - Monday, Wednesday, Friday = swimming,
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday = jogging (around my house), Sunday = Yoga
mjessica89

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon May 26, 2008 7:32 pm

I recently got a pedal exerciser so that I could do exercise while my back is injured. The good thing about it is that you can use it for either your legs or your arms. They are used a lot in rehabilitation so you might want to ask your doctor if that would be appropriate exercise for you.

I bought a really cheap one, so it's not very stable and often runs away from me. You can get pricier ones that I would assume would be a bit more solid.

Here are some links to pedal exercisers:

The cheap one I bought (currently out of stock): http://www.oo.com.au/product1.cfm?product_id=6083

A few different versions: http://www.sportstek.net/pedal_exerciser.htm

Other than that you can do a lot towards your weight loss by controlling your diet. Whether you decide to go the low-carb route, to count calories, to do Weight Watchers online or meal replacements, there are many different eating plans. It's just a matter of finding the one to suit you.

Calorie King (http://www.calorieking.com.au) is free. You can set up a profile with your current weight and activity levels and what your target weight is and it will work out how many calories you should have per day. You can either follow one of their meal plans or enter your own food to calculate how many calories and how much fat you are eating. A lot of people here swear by this site.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby PenM » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:48 am

20 pounds? Wow, it would need more determination than you can imagine. I think if you want to lose 20 pounds, you need to REALLY control what you eat. Probably diet shakes and bars can help as they are delicious yet low in calories.
PenM

Postby Shalimar » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:22 pm

I am really sorry to hear about your accident, I know how it feels, hubby and I were involved in a head on crash and our 2 year old was in the back of the car. Fortunately I bore the brunt of it and it has left me with a bung knee but better me than junior.

My tip would be to grab yourself a calorie counter book, I find mine an invaluable source of reference and it goes everywhere with me.

Take care, Shalimar.

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby Vida » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:25 pm

Thank you very much for the tips everyone. I have lost around 3cm from my chest - waist to hips ( which I think is a great start).................but the kilos are falling off really slower than I would've hoped.

Any ideas how to get my tummy all nice & flat.........My son was born by emergency ceaserian & as I had the accident 6 weeks after I gave birth, I did have the opportunity to work on my abs due to my accident - any ideas would be greatful?
Vida

Postby stephane » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:12 am

Sorry to hear about your accident, I'm thinking maybe you should focus more on a diet plan rather than exercises because of your injured body. In any case if you are interested there is a way to lose weight at a fast rate through an healthy feeding. If you ever feel like giving it a try, it might actually be the answer for you. Here's some more info about the diet plan: [stop posting your stupid link! ~ moderator}

I sincerely wish you the best in your plan and a good recovery!

Stephane
stephane

Return to Weight loss Talk