It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:43 pm

Free Newsletter

HOW DO YOU NOT LET IT CONSUME YOU?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

HOW DO YOU NOT LET IT CONSUME YOU?

Postby Sussy » Mon May 26, 2008 11:36 am

Hi,

just after some advice....i'm supposed to be losing weight but am currently gaining weight and fast, which i HATE.
Losing weight is all i seem to think about and it's doing my head in. I'm even dreaming about it, and now i'm worrying people are going to start asking me if i'm pregnant.
All i think about is how much i should eat,
when i'm going to eat,
what i'm going to eat.
How many calories i should be having,
how much exercise i should be doing.
What if i eat too much,
What if i'm hungry,
I AM HUNGRY
I really want SWEET stuff.....
i'm trying to lose weight and all i can think about is everything i want but can't have!!! (but i am and am putting on weight again :oops: )

Help!!! Any suggestions?
Sussy

Re: HOW DO YOU NOT LET IT CONSUME YOU?

Postby ali76 » Mon May 26, 2008 12:36 pm

Hey Sussy,

Sorry things are seeming so hard at the minute.

I was the same when I was in a job that was really boring! If my mind wasn't occupied with something else, I'd be thinking about food....what I just ate, what was next, what I was having for dinner...Now that I'm in a job where I'm constantly challenged and busy (the boss is away today which is why I'm on here!!) I don't think about food nearly as much.

So - my question is, are you keeping busy enough? Is there something else you could be doing?

Are you exercising enough? I found that before my accident, when i was exercising, I didn't WANT to eat to excess or anything bad as I didn't want to undo my good work.

Hope I've been of some help?

Hang in there xoxox
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby Jisgone » Mon May 26, 2008 1:44 pm

im the opposite haha i think i have let it consume me!
i dragged my bf to 5 different places before i found somewhere healthy enough for us to have lunch yesterday haha
im a bit of an all or nothing person tho, i know if i ate a bad lunch i wouldve said stuff it and been bad the entire day so i guess i was doing damage control before the damage had been done
i think to a point it has to be something always in your mind, its hard work to lose weight and so easy to slip up! keeping busy is a great idea, i eat so much less when im at work than when im bored at home
maybe try deciding what youll be eating for the day in the morning and then u wont have to think about food all day?
i find the trick with cravings is killing them before they get too bad, if im dying for chocolate ill have a tiny bit, because if i dont let myself i end up thinking about it constantly and getting into such a state that i eat an entire block
if your worried about what and when to eat try something like cal king, so u can track your calories and knowing how many cals youve eaten might stop u stressing about eating too much, if your hungry nibble on an apple or suck on a chupa chup :) its not about depriving yourself, teach yourself that nothing is out of bounds u just need to fit it into your new healthy life, its all one big balancing act :)
Jisgone

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon May 26, 2008 2:41 pm

I used to be in the same place and I often let my thoughts get a bit obsessive about weight loss. Luckily I don't think about food all the time any more, though. I use the mantra "Food has always been there. Food will always be there." and it helps me a lot. That way I know that whether I'm thinking about what to cook for dinner five hours ahead of time or not there's going to be dinner regardless. It frees up a lot of mental space for doing other stuff!

When I find myself becoming a bit obsessive I use the mind-programming CD and book 'I can make you thin' by Paul McKenna. It means you can spend about 20 minutes fully immersed in programming yourself for healthy eating and positive thinking and give yourself a break the rest of the day!

Maybe something like that would help for you? Or if you don't want to go out and buy a book and CD perhaps you just need to allocate your time to obsess so that you get bored of it and start thinking about other things. When you start worrying about your weight just close your eyes, let yourself worry then give yourself permission to let that thought escape out of the back of your head. Start visualising yourself as being thin, happy, healthy and radiant. Let that fill your head for a few minutes then move on.

Of course there could be another reason you're becoming obsessive. How many calories are you getting per day? If your calorie count gets too low then the natural reaction is to start exhibiting compulsive behaviour over food.

Another option may be counselling. Especially if you feel it's the start of an unnatural obsession with food or an eating disorder. A counsellor may help you get through these thoughts and figure out what's causing them.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Sussy » Mon May 26, 2008 3:35 pm

Thanks guys,

i am at home with the baby all day and while i go out for walks with him (2 a day - a 45min and 20min) i do get bored. I go back to work in July and am looking forward to that but even then only 1 day a week.
Sometimes i'm okay but other times my head is just totally invaded by thoughts of food and it's really frustrating. I know i feel good and more confident and more healthy when i eat properly but sometimes the urges are unbelievably overwhelming and i think "no-one else is watching what they eat, why should i." Then i start thinking about lollies or chocolate (my weaknesses) and i think "no can't have those" which in turn makes me feel like i want them even MORE and so then i try to have just a little bit to satisfy my craving, but then think "well i've stuffed it now, might as well have the whole bag, packet or block..." It's just really annoying.
Am trying to give myself little affirmations to keep going like " Get up & get moving"
& "if i want to do it, I will do it. "
"It's up to me - no-one else"
"Get some self control"
"Stop saying and start doing" etc,etc

Anyway will try keep myself busier, i'm sure there's housework to be done...hehe :)
Will think about the CD, but i do like the idea of allocating a time to think about food and that's it, then do somthing else.

Cheers guys, appreciate it.
Will let you know how i'm going......
Right now i'm happy for everyone losing weight but very jealous. :mrgreen:
Sussy

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon May 26, 2008 4:12 pm

Hey, if it makes you feel better I'm not losing weight at the moment either! I've hit a plateau and my back is too sore to increase my exercise levels. So let me join you in glaring jealously at all the others. :wink:
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Sussy » Mon May 26, 2008 6:51 pm

Hey Ali,

tell me more about the CD thing, is it nice calming music or what does it say and/or do?
I also love your mantra, have been using it all afternoon..... :)
Thanks
Suse
Sussy

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon May 26, 2008 7:22 pm

It's a hypnosis CD. So it's Paul McKenna talking the whole time. He directs you through positive visualisation and reinforces messages that give you a healthier attitude towards food and exercise. You can sign up for the free club on his website and check out some of his videos to see if it's your cup of tea or not. That saying that I use about food is from his CD.

Link: http://www.mckenna.com/Default.aspx?Asp ... eSupport=1
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Sussy » Tue May 27, 2008 10:56 am

Cool, thanks mate.

Will check it out.
Had a good food day yesterday which is such a relief, the first day getting back on track always seems to be my hardest....i hope this is just the beginning....again. :oops:

Thanks again.

Suse
Sussy

Postby Siana-leah » Tue May 27, 2008 5:26 pm

Hey Sussy!
Wow that sounds EXACTLY like me a few months ago!! my weakness was lollies and chocolate...especially chocolate! i just couldnt keep my hands off it!
And i was constantly thinking about it and "itchy" to get it!
I think what worked for me was having a break from the junk! It kinda sounds odd at first because ur probably thinking that I CANT stay away from it....
but.....i just made sure there was no temptation in the house and i took it one day at a time....this is very important!....during the day if u think i want to eat this then keep putting it off....say to urself ill have it after i vacuum and then keep delaying and all of a sudden its getting close to lunch or dinner....so ull just wait and have dinner....
i have heard that it takes a couple of weeks give or take some days, to break a habit......i didnt get that at first....but i do now....
just spend time away from those things and ur craving for it WILL go down...i couldnt belive it when i realised that i wasnt thinking about chocolate!!!
actually the last time i had chocolate....like a bar of chocolate was at least a month ago....
anyway...once i broke through that my approach to food changed completely....and im not perfect i have been struggling on and off for over a month now but am
back on track now and feeling great!
As the others say ....do anything that distracts you....i know its hard..im at home with a 3 year old and 8 month old...but there are ways around things!!
Good luck and i hope this helps....
above all....you need to find what works for you! so if eating 3 square meals a day works for u or 3 mains with snacks in between (this is what i do) do that!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wWJeIU2/]
[/url]
Siana-leah

Postby Chaypeta » Tue May 27, 2008 7:35 pm

I absolutely and totally agree with Siana. I'm a choca-holic at heart and absolutely adore the stuff... particularly Dream white chocolate. My only solution, and it worked, was just not to have the stuff in the house. You know the trick of eating a meal before grocery shopping to stop you staking the trolley with junk foods. I totally abstained from chocolate: which was freelin' hard over easter... I have kids and they all got a stack of easter eggs etc. I even told my husband that I didn't want any chocky for easter as we always buy for each other. He gave me a set of dvd's of one of my fav shows instead. I gave him and kids all the other gift chocolate I received straight away so I wouldn't be tempted to eat them. (The chocolate, not the kids... lol.)

And do you know it worked. Four weeks down the track and I had no desire for chocolate at all. I think cold turkey works. At least for me. I have allowed myself a couple of small chocolates since reaching my half way mark in loosing weight but it just doesn't have the same appeal to me. I find I'm extremely fussy about what brand I will nibble where before even cooking chocolate was fine.

Another way to deal with a chocolate craving is using low fat hot choc drinks. I personally love chocolatte fudge flavour by Jarrah which has only 42 cals per cup. It's a nice way to treat myself in the late evening which is the only time i experience cravings now days.

By the way... i also cold turkey'd on coke cola at the same time... i was drinking 3 to 4 cans a day. Now the rare party when I do get handed a can I drink about 1/4 at the most. I can't finish it and usually end up passing it to one of the kids.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9otB50/]
[/url]

TERINU Australia's own Sci Fi Web Comic: http://www.terinu.com
Chaypeta

Postby Athena » Wed May 28, 2008 2:37 pm

This may sound really stupid, but sometimes it works. Pick something small activity that you like doing but don't do that often, just something minor like playing a hand of solitare. Whenever you feel really strong suger cravings, play your solitare game or promise yourself a game when you have the time. Humans have the ability to reprogram there thoughts through repetition, called unconsiouse assosiation or something. Eventually, your need for chocolate will turn into a need for card games. Like I said, it sounds really stupid, but it's worth a try right? I listen to Ben Lee whenever I want sweets. Now, I just want to eat Ben Lee lol.
It's times like these you learn to live again
Athena

Postby Sussy » Thu May 29, 2008 10:56 am

LOL Athena, think Ben Lee might have something to say about that. :lol: Great idea though, and I love the card game patience, which i haven't played in years. So i'll give it a shot.

Siana and Chaypeta, hopefully the cravings will stop soon. They're still really bad especially at night, i just want to sit in front of the TV and eat lollies. I have almost caved everynight this week...but haven't so far.
My hubby shamed me becuase i, lik you Chaypeta have to go cold turkey, and so try not to have any rubbish in the house that may tempt me, however my husband came grocery shopping with me last weekend and wanted lollies and chocolate just in case he wanted something sweet to eat. (and i had eaten everything else we'd had :oops: )
Anyway he bought them and on Mon night i wanted to eat them, but luckily rang him and he made me feel really bad, (not intentionally), he said "I just want them there in case i want something sweet, what do you want me to hide them or something?" So then i felt pretty pathetic and didn't have any.
Last night my husband asked if we had any drumstick icecreams and i said "no" and he said "oh i'd really like one" and I said "i'd really [b][i][/i][/b] like some lollies..." and he goes "ohhh yeah, i could have some of those too" and i thought "oh no, i'm going to cave" But luckily neither of us could be bothered getting up and by the time hubby did i think he'd forgotten and he just had a yogurt instead. PHEW.
I went to bed shortly after that, coz if i'm asleep i can't eat...hehe

Anyway, plodding along slowly and painfully.

Thanks for all your advice guys, it's always appreciated.

Suse :)
Sussy

Postby Minni3068 » Thu May 29, 2008 7:49 pm

Hi Sussy,

I hear you loud & clear! That was what I was like - couldn't stop thinking about food - it really had consumed me. I found that I was gaining weight at such a rapid rate, that it was getting to a depressing stage.

My GP then referred me to these guys, http://www.massattack.com.au because they work with hormones. This may not be your case, but I know with me it was & since working along side these guys I've lost my cravings, my mood has improved (Iwas pretty bad in this department) and they best part is I've consistently lost weight ... FINALLY!!

So you may want to give them a go. If you want to ask me any questions about them I'm happy to share my journey.

Take care & hang in there! :lol:
Minni3068

Postby surfchick33 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:20 pm

Hey yea - I found these guys really heped my cravings too minni.
surfchick33

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk