It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:25 am

Free Newsletter

dietitions

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

dietitions

Postby holly80 » Wed May 28, 2008 6:11 pm

ok guys and girls, I have come to the conclusion that I may have a eating disorder. I dont think I am just a pig anymore i serioulsy think I might have something wrong with me... so i am thinking about going to see a dietition.. I dont know if they will be able to help me or not, but i suppose its worth looking into.

Its quiet embarressing to admit, but lets face it. I am not getting any smaller and i dont meet any goals i meet for myself. It surely cant be hard to go for a walk and eat well... I just cant be bothered going walking and my eating is so bad, I am embarressed to even write what I have eaten today.

Enough is enough I cant keep saying I am going to do it this time, because each time I last 1 day then give up.

I think i have some kind of disorder because if there is food there then I have to eat it, if i want something in particular like pizza and hubby doesnt then I have a tanty and order it for myself. yes I have been known to do that not so long ago. I even said if i lose 10 kilo then i will go to qld and I was so excited about it but nope that didnt even work. I dont leave the house without a jumper even in summer because of my fat roll which i am so embaressed about, it really gets me down, so i dont know what else i can do. I talked about doing tf but i dont want to because i know me, and i know i wont stick to it. if i love food that much then i know it wont work for me.

I am so over it and I cant do it. i dont know what to do anymore. i really dont..

so after my vent lol, does anyone know how much they cost and what to expect from visiting one???

Holly

Every 5 kilos off= Pandora Charm

SW: 86kg 31/8/06
CW:
WL:
GW: 75kg

Rule your mind or it will rule you.You may delay, but time will not !!!
holly80

Re: dietitions

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed May 28, 2008 9:54 pm

I just looked online and the Dietitians Association of Australia has a section about how much their members usually charge. You can look it up here: http://www.daa.asn.au/index.asp?PageID=2145833454#cost

Q. How much will it cost to see a dietitian?
A. Dietitians set their own fees and they range according to experience and the services offered. An initial consultation (commonly 45 minutes to one hour) can range from $45 to $110. A short review consultation (less than 20 minutes) can range from $20 to $40. Concessional rates may be available so check with your practitioner. Most private health insurance funds provide rebates on dietitian's services. For details check with your particular fund. Medicare covers some dietetic services under the extended primary care program, ask your doctor about this.

If you think this is part of an eating disorder then perhaps you should see your GP first. Then he or she could refer to you a dietitian if they think it is the most appropriate route and it might be covered by Medicare.

Another option might be a counsellor or psychologist. There is a psychologist at our local clinic who uses hypnosis within the wider context of counselling. He makes you look at why you want to change your behaviour as well as mind programming techniques to make you want to change. If you do have an eating disorder then perhaps this would be a good option to explore so that you can tackle the psychological aspects to the disorder and not just the food itself.

Good luck. I hope you find the solution you need!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby holly80 » Sat May 31, 2008 7:51 pm

I had a look at that site. thanks.

i emailed one about prices and its not to bad. around 120 for an 1.5 hour appointment first time round then 55 for every 30 min appointments after that.. worth it in the end... looking really forward to going... will make a appointment next week if i can afford it after the kitty

Holly

CW:
WL:

holly80

Postby loveat116 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:20 pm

I don't think a dietician is the answer.

What it sounds like is that you are having emotional problems due to food, and that is something that dieticians can not really help with. They can help you find out the healthier options with food, and put together a plan for you, but they do not deal with the emotional side.

The best thing to do is go to your GP and they will give you a referral to the person that they think you need to see, whether that be a psychologist, psychiatrist or a dietician.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby holly80 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:00 pm

loveat116 wrote:I don't think a dietician is the answer.

What it sounds like is that you are having emotional problems due to food, and that is something that dieticians can not really help with. They can help you find out the healthier options with food, and put together a plan for you, but they do not deal with the emotional side.

The best thing to do is go to your GP and they will give you a referral to the person that they think you need to see, whether that be a psychologist, psychiatrist or a dietician.

thanks but i am willing to try a doetition first

Holly

CW:
WL:

holly80

Postby Jisgone » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:13 pm

a dietician will most likely tell u what u already know, eat healthy food! if you already know u should be eating healthy food and cant they may not be the person for you, if you believe u have a eating disorder its a psychological thing so youde be better seeing a psychologist about it and working out why you cant get your head around eating healthily
Jisgone

Postby holly80 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:56 pm

i am sorry if ppl are getting angry at me... gee i am trying mny hardest and i know what a dietition is. i would like to give it a go so i am

Holly

CW:
WL:

holly80

Postby help6363 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:21 pm

holly80 wrote:i am sorry if ppl are getting angry at me... gee i am trying mny hardest and i know what a dietition is. i would like to give it a go so i am

Nobody is getting angry.....they are just giving suggestions! If you think it will work then give it a go!

I did have a similar problem to you (binge eating) ....... I found Overeater's Annoymous useful (it's FREE and in the phone book).

Just try what you think is best and please let us know how you get on.

I went to a dietitian years ago and paid $30 per hour. I rang a couple of them in the Yellow Pages

OH, well done on identifying a problem and wanting to face up to it......that's a big step!!!! :D
help6363

Postby Boo » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:14 pm

holly80 wrote:ok guys and girls, I have come to the conclusion that I may have a eating disorder. I dont think I am just a pig anymore i serioulsy think I might have something wrong with me... so i am thinking about going to see a dietition.. I dont know if they will be able to help me or not, but i suppose its worth looking into.

Its quiet embarressing to admit, but lets face it. I am not getting any smaller and i dont meet any goals i meet for myself. It surely cant be hard to go for a walk and eat well... I just cant be bothered going walking and my eating is so bad, I am embarressed to even write what I have eaten today.

Enough is enough I cant keep saying I am going to do it this time, because each time I last 1 day then give up.

I think i have some kind of disorder because if there is food there then I have to eat it, if i want something in particular like pizza and hubby doesnt then I have a tanty and order it for myself. yes I have been known to do that not so long ago. I even said if i lose 10 kilo then i will go to qld and I was so excited about it but nope that didnt even work. I dont leave the house without a jumper even in summer because of my fat roll which i am so embaressed about, it really gets me down, so i dont know what else i can do. I talked about doing tf but i dont want to because i know me, and i know i wont stick to it. if i love food that much then i know it wont work for me.

I am so over it and I cant do it. i dont know what to do anymore. i really dont..

so after my vent lol, does anyone know how much they cost and what to expect from visiting one???

Hi Holly,

If you have a regular GP who knows how hard you have tried to lose weight, you can ask for a CAREPLAN, I am on a care plan, which means that you get a referral to see the dietitian and medicare covers the whole amount, you don't have to pay a cent!

You are allowed 5 visits per year :)
Boo

Postby James » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:51 am

I've got an appointment for the first time with a dietition on Wednesday (was for Friday week but they had a cancellation) I don't really have any idea what will take place at the appointment, but I do feel that I am doing the right thing seeing her.

James

Postby James » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:54 am

^Just to add - I don't think you can have too much expert guidence nor support.

James

Postby Boo » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:56 pm

James wrote:I've got an appointment for the first time with a dietition on Wednesday (was for Friday week but they had a cancellation) I don't really have any idea what will take place at the appointment, but I do feel that I am doing the right thing seeing her.

Hi James.

They will find it VERY helpful if you take in a food diary for the last week. That way they will be able to go though that with you and let you know where you can make changes.

Boo
Boo

Postby PenM » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:51 pm

I never came to any dietician but it seems they charged a very expensive fee. Maybe you need to do some researches on the internet, the information are free.
PenM

Postby James » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:08 pm

Boo wrote:
Hi Holly,

If you have a regular GP who knows how hard you have tried to lose weight, you can ask for a CAREPLAN, I am on a care plan, which means that you get a referral to see the dietitian and medicare covers the whole amount, you don't have to pay a cent!

You are allowed 5 visits per year :)

Hi Boo,

Thanks for that information. I saw my Doctor today and I now have the Careplan to take to the dietition and to Medicare.

Thanks again.

James

Return to Weight loss Talk