It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:17 am

Free Newsletter

Can someone look at my daily diet please and tell me it's ok

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Can someone look at my daily diet please and tell me it's ok

Postby James » Wed May 28, 2008 8:28 pm

This is what I have been on for the last 5 weeks -

Breakfast

2 desertspoons porridge (50 cals & 9 carbs)
1 desertspoon wheat bran (13 cals & 1 carb)
2 desertspoons oat bran (50 cals & 8 carbs)
1 desertspooon of sultanas (46 cals & 11 carbs)
1 teaspoon honey (18 cals & 5 carbs)
Pura heart milk cholesterol lowering (80 cals & 8 carbs)
1 slice Burgen Honey and Oatbran cholesterol lowering toast (90 cals & 12 carbs)

Totals for breakfast - Calories 347 Carbs 54

Lunch

2 slices Burgen Honey and Oatbran cholesterol lowering toast (180 cals & 24 carbs)
10 grams Pro Active UltaLight Cholesterol lowering spread (21 cals)
100 grams of Tuna in springwater (84 cals & 1 carb)
1 medium apple (65 cals & 18 carbs)
11 grapes (37 cals & 9 carbs)
Flat white skinny coffee (11 cals)

Totals for lunch - Calories 398 Carbs 52

Dinner

100 grams boiled chicken thigh with all visible fat removed (127 cals)
10 grams Pro Active UltaLight Cholesterol lowering spread (21 cals)
100 grams sweet potato (65 cals & 17 carbs)
Steamed (in colander)
Broccoli
Celery
Mushrooms
Snow peas
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Carrot
Zuchini (total for vegetable around 200 cals and 14 carbs)

Totals for dinner - Calories 413 Carbs 31

Total Daily intake

Calories - 1158
Carbs - 137

I also have -

1 cup of black tea
2 cups of green tea
400 mls of water with 2 x teaspoons of Metamucil (dietary fibre Phsysllium seed)
+ water as needed
1 multivitamin tablet
1 vitamin C tablet

I'm a 6' male, 45 years old very over weight and would say sedentary. Is 1158 calories daily what I should be aiming for?
In 5 weeks I have lost 5" off my belt line, but am worried after doing some reading about that if I don't have enough cals I might be only losing muscle and not fat.

Please any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

James

Re: Can someone look at my daily diet please and tell me it's ok

Postby smileyguy » Wed May 28, 2008 10:18 pm

I limited myself to 8000kj (2000 calories) a day but I am a 31 year old male just under 6ft. Not sure if that makes a difference or if my kj limit was even healthy. With 30minutes of treadmill or outdoors walking (must work up a big sweat) I was losing 1kg a week, but kept this up only I think because I started jogging instead of walking. I was only 15kg overweight to start with though.

How much protein do you have per day? Might be a good idea to calculate and find out how much you need. I think about 40g every day is about right from my research but might need more if exercising (and doing resistance training - a good idea while dieting to avoid losing muscle).

5 inches sounds fantastic! Good on you. If you are worried about losing muscle - keep up the protein and do resistance training. There are plenty of things you can do without weights too. I wish I measured myself in cm/inches when I was dieting as lost heaps but a lot of muscle too.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9BSbBe/]
[/url]
smileyguy

Postby Jisgone » Thu May 29, 2008 1:18 am

i definately dont think your eating enough, u dont want to starve your body! im a 5'6 female and eat 1700 calories a day and still lose weight
jump onto http://www.calorieking.com.au and set up a profile and theyll recommend how much you should eat based on bmr :)
Jisgone

Postby James » Thu May 29, 2008 9:31 am

Thanks for the replies.

At the moment I have some injuries and pain and are unable to do any excercise. This is one of the reasons that I have tried to keep my cals down. It's just a worry when you read so much about if your too low that you will lose more muscle than fat.

I have actually found that eating the foods listed and keeping below 1200 cals it's actually quite filling. I must REALLY have worked hard eating all the wrong foods before to have put on so much weight.

James

Postby Jisgone » Thu May 29, 2008 12:25 pm

if you go onto http://www.weightloss.com.au and into weightloss tools you can work out your bmr based on you being sedentry, then take away 500-1000 cals from that number depending on how fast you want to lose weight
mine says my bmr is 2700, so i eat 1700 any less than that and ide be losing muscle and not eating enough to keep my body functioning normally
i think you should be eating atleast 2000 cals a day, so eat up! :)
Jisgone

Postby SarahC » Thu May 29, 2008 2:42 pm

Those meals look great to me! Maybe a few extra calories in there, like the others said.

It's a bit of trial and error though, getting the calories right. Use calorie king as a guide but definitely not gospel. If I ate what calorie king told me, I would be like the side of a house!!

You now know what your rate of weight loss is for 1200cals a day. Change to 2000cals and see what happens, do you gain, stay the same, or lose slowly. Then try a different intake and see what happens again. Eventually you'll work out what the right intake is for you and your goals :D
SarahC

Postby James » Thu May 29, 2008 4:48 pm

Thanks again for the continuing replies.

I know it sounds like a silly question, but does anyone have any recommendations for increasing my calories for the lunch time menu only?

Also what would be a suitable replacement for the Tuna, something that had roughly the same protein?

I do suffer from around 6-7 gout attacks a year (and they can be exacerbated on a strict diet) and I need to keep to a diet low in Purines and I read that Tuna isn't a great food if your susceptible to gout.

Once again thanks, I've gotten so much inspiration from reading this site in the short time I've been a member.

James

Postby candycane » Thu May 29, 2008 5:28 pm

Hi James,

first of all congrats, 5 inches is great! i think because u seem to be eating a lot of whole foods (unprocessed) veggies and lean meat. PErsonally i think its quite a good plan, but as the others say maybe slightly under in calorie intake. I think you'd be loosing fat if you have lost it from your belt line, this is where we carry most of our fat relating to what we eat. I learnt a lot reading the abz diet which is written by the editor of mens health. Maybe you could add some raw almonds, or beans are great. Blueberries are another food, try googling the book it'll give u some ideas.

What i would also suggest is that perhaps you see a dietician or a doctor, and tell them what your eating. Mostly because you have said u suffer from medical conditions. Generally its good to be monitored by a doctor. I usually have a 6month-yearly GP check up where we do a full set of bloods to make sure everything is functioning properly. That way you'll know that your getting a good amount of vitamins.

goodluck :)
Goal: 65-67 kg <-------Ultimate Goal:
For now? No weighing for a few weeks...
candycane

Postby smileyguy » Thu May 29, 2008 7:27 pm

Instead of ditching the tuna - why not add a nice bit of red meat (sorry vegetarians). It will carry the calories you want but with lots of protein. At least for a few of the days anyway. Nuts will give you some protein and plenty of calories too!

It is amazing when you start counting calories, finding out just how bad you were eating beofre isn't it? I used to have 2 honey sandwiches before bed time. It was like having cake - yummo! Wouldn't think of it now (except for breakfast maybe on wholemeal toast or not - gives me good energy before a workout).
[/url]
smileyguy

Postby James » Thu May 29, 2008 10:55 pm

After going to those sites and entering my states I have the unfortunate pleasure of being labeled "Obese" I pretty much new that, but boy it's an awful word especially when it *your" label :(

I don't care how long this takes or whether it's the last thing I ever do..............I'm going to lose ALL this weight that I have.

I've been on diets of course before and been strict for a week or more though always binged on weekends. This time round I can say that I have done 5 weeks straight without so much as a sultana that I should not have had. I have never had this will power before and I know that it's going to stay and I know that I'm going to stick with it. I also know that it's a low slow haul (it's always harder taking it off than putting it on) getting it off, but everyday I'm going to be just that little bit lighter. Before I know it the 5 weeks will be 5 months and I'll be seeing some real body differences coming about and theres still 30 weeks until 2009. So this time next year I'll have a full 52 weeks under my belt.

I AM GOING TO BE A THIN PERSON

James

Postby candycane » Fri May 30, 2008 1:14 pm

yay! love the positive attitude. Its about lifestyle change, fad diets simply dont work because they advocate radical eating and cancellation of whole food groups.

i agree, you will be thin, but most importantly, you will be healthy!
Goal: 65-67 kg <-------Ultimate Goal:
For now? No weighing for a few weeks...
candycane

Postby James » Fri May 30, 2008 4:34 pm

Actually I think I've been on 1200 calorie diet all my life, problem was I was having 1200 calories for EACH meal :)

James

Postby Tarz » Fri May 30, 2008 4:53 pm

James, You definately should be eating more calories. I have read quite a few times that guys burn through calories faster then females. Check on Calorie King or similar websites.

I didn't know Tuna triggered gout as well, i thought it was mainly cheese and rewine that does it. my dad gets it bad if he has the smallest amount of red wine.
Tuna is a great source of protein so it would be good to keepo but if your getting gout bad try other protein rich foods. Do a google search to find some. Or try protein shakes.

What exercise are you doing? You need to be doing something and that would prevent you from losing muscle instead of fat.

Well done on the 5 inches already, and your eating has been very healthy, remeber you need to be able to stick with what your doing when you finish losing weight cos if you revert back to the way you were eating before it will pile back on. Good luck with the rest of the weight.
Tarz

Postby James » Sat May 31, 2008 5:07 pm

It's the end of the month and thats the day that's been designated as "string" day and I had the pleasure of taking yet another 2" of my waistline.

That makes for a total of 7" or almost 18cm off my waist.

James

Postby smileyguy » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:14 am

That's the attitude James. Weight WILL keep coming off up to a healthy point (as long as your diet is healthy). Counting calories sounds nuts to some people but it really opens the eyes up to how much you're eating. It's especially useful once you've reached your target weight so you can start a healthy diet (a weight loss diet isn't really healthy for the rest of your life!!)

That method worked for me. Down to weighing out my breakfast cereal. It's still helpful because now I love a run a few times a week and plan my meals around my exercise sometimes to get the most out of it i.e., I love a nice pasta dish with olive oil a couple of hourse before a run.

Keep that goal in mind. You will get there. It's good you're measuring inches too. I wish I had done that - it's probably a more accurate method thatn just weight - especially if you're doing some weights.
[/url]
smileyguy

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk