It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:24 am

Free Newsletter

A question about periods!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

A question about periods!

Postby Groovychic » Mon May 01, 2006 9:09 am

I wasn't sure what section to put this in, and not even sure if anyone actually wants to talk about them, but I am having some problems with mine actually!!! Probably about a year or so ago I started to get very painful periods. They were that bad that I had to basically knock myself out for a day to get past all the pain, plus they were extremely heavy for the first 2 days. About that time I started to get my period only every 6 weeks. I've always tended to have irregular periods anyway, which I am totally to blame for skipping many periods whilst taking the pill when I was young!!! Anyway they were going good for about a year or so and having them regularly every 4.5 weeks and then they changed to every 6 weeks.......yay I thought, but then the pain started to get even worse. Plus I never knew when I was likely to get it either, which is a real pain in the bum. And then the last 2 periods, I have had my period, stopped bleeding for about 5 days, and then it starts up again. Last time it was for about another 5 days, not heavy at all, actually really not having to wear any protection, but just there, you know what i mean!!! So I sort of thought ok it's because I've started using the treadmill, because I got my period about a week after I got the treadmill. Well it happened again this time, with the bleeding stopping and then starting again after about 5 days. Except today is the 8th day! I don't get any pain or anything but it's driving me mad! Plus the day the bleeding started again I hadn't even been on the treadmill that day. I was having a rest day from it. Plus I still have pimples on my chin. I always get a couple of pimples on my chin when my period starts but it's been like 3 weeks now that I have had pimples. I am 33 nearly 34 in age so I don't think it is the beginnings of menopause. I spoke to the doc about it, thinking at the time it was because of the treadmill and he agreed that it probably was. I asked him about what I could do about my painful periods and he said I had 2 options, take the pill or put up with it. I said what can't I just have a hysterectomy. And he said no! I was not impressed, believe me! I really don't want to go back on the pill as I know it is going to make it even harder for me to lose the weight. Plus another side effect is loss of libido. I know, makes me sound like a censored addict but it's not that. We don't have censored all that much now, if I have even more of a loss of libido I am sure my partner will walk out.....well no he wouldn't but I know he won't be impressed! So if anybody has been thru something similar or has any ideas please let me know! If you don't want to talk about it in the forum but want to let me know what you have been thru, please email me. Thanks in advance. I need help desperately because it is driving me mad!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Dolly » Mon May 01, 2006 9:18 am

Yes Rochelle, I have been though something similar and it's not the treadmill or that you were on the pill for too long. I had excrutiating pains and kept getting the run around from doctors, I even went to the hospital on three occasions just to be given some pain tablets and sent home again. It turned out that I had ovarian cysts that kept bursting by the time they did an exploritory examination. They tried to time the exploritory examinations but because I was bleeding so irregularly they did not see the burst cysts. Anyway after 10 years of being on all fours in agony for 8 hours of each second menstrual cycle (it was my right ovary) therefore only every second period, they then determined that because it wasn't picked up and treated I developed hypothyroidism where I now have next to no metabolism no matter how hard I work out.

Go find another doctor and ask him to check for ovarian cysts.
Dolly

Postby carleyjt » Mon May 01, 2006 9:55 am

Sounds familiar. I had a similar problem and it turned out i had Pelvic Inflamatory Disease which i had controlled with medication then i had a laparoscopy and Hysteroscopy (cameras inside) and it turns out i have Polycystic Ovaries which is similar to what DOLLY said. I would suggest going to another doctor if you can and get a second opinion. Its not normal. It sounds like you could have endimetrioses (cant spell) or maybe even fibroids as you have had kids. If you had a ceaser scar tissue may be interfering with your insides. Good luck
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
carleyjt

Postby Dolly » Mon May 01, 2006 10:07 am

Yes Carley is right, because they couldn't find the cysts they then treated me for irritable bowel syndrome then they decided that was wrong and took out my inflammed appendix, then they said it must be adhesions from my casarean, then they said it was a dis lodged rib cartledge with referred pain and injected my rib with growth steroids (which kept making me vomit 15 minutes after each needle) they even thought it could be my gall bladder with referred pain to my lower right quadrant. I hope you don't have polycystic ovaries like Carley and I had.

hugs
Dolly

Postby Groovychic » Mon May 01, 2006 11:50 am

I have had ovarian cysts! Have had 2 ultra sounds and they found them on my right ovary. The first time 1 burst I honestly thought I had appendicitis as my partner had had it and subsequently had his appendix out about 9 months prior to my first burst cyst. I ended up at the hospital crying from being in so much pain, at 3am. They gave me a shot of pethadine and sent me in the ambulance to a larger hospital in Bridgetown. That was the trip from hell!!! In the back of an ambulance, feeling sick from the pethadine, going along an extremely hilly and windy road! No joy at all! Thought I was going to vomit before I got to the hospital. The poor ambulance drivers, they are volunteers here, were so good to me. And it was there 2nd trip over that night! Anyway the next day they did an ultrasound and found where it had burst, as the sack thing was still there. And then I had another 1 about 2 weeks or so later and you could see it was starting to form again. What they can do is slice off that piece of ovary to fix it. Because mine forms in the same position it is possible. But when I went for my last pap smear last year I go to a different doctor who was the one who delivered my 2 kids in Busselton. She is fantastic. Bedside manner is not fantastic but she knows her stuff. And she to me when I told her about the cysts to not let anyone touch them. She told me that all she has heard from having part sliced off is bad reports. I am considering going to see her again about this. It's just easier to go to the doc here than to travel to Busselton. But I have a funeral coming up this week as my partner's aunt passed away. I might try and tie it in with that. Or if she works Saturday, Alex starts soccer on saturday and that is over that way. But I am unsure if she works. I just don't want to make 3 trips in 1 week!!! I don't really want to go to the funeral but of course I have to take my parents in law! It's always us taking them here there and everywhere. Last week it was Bunbury(1hr drive away) for father in law to have an eye appointment and then I find out half way in that my partner's sister was going to Bunbury that day as well. I was ropeable!!! :twisted: The only reason I went in was to take him to his appointment. I had to find someone to have my kids while I went etc because they would have been bored waiting for him. And then she goes shopping to Bunbury for the day! She could very easily have taken him. She lives in this town as well. Going back to the cysts, I haven't had the pain from my cysts for well over 6 months. I had a little niggle when I was in Jurien in Feb but I took one of the really strong anti-inflammetry tablets because we were going out for the day, so whether it would have gotten any worse I don't know. I don't normally like to take the drugs unless it starts getting really bad. I wondered about the polycystic ovaries because a friend of mine new someone with it and they were finding it extremely difficult to lose weight. That is one of the symptoms of it. I have been having weight problems for about 4 years or so and the ovarian cysts started in about 3 years or so ago. Tho prior to the ovarian cysts I wasn't trying hard to lose weight anyway. It's really only been the last 2 years that I have put a lot of effort into it. So I asked the doc about maybe having it but he said no the ultra sound only revealed 1 cysts so that means I don't have it! But I might organise a trip to the docs as soon as I can tho. Thanks so much for your replies tho. At least I know I'm not normal for my age. well my periods aren't doing normal things anyway!!! :lol:
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon May 01, 2006 8:45 pm

I hope it's not cysts and just yourt regular pain in the ass period pain. If that's the case and it turns out the pill is your best option, you shouldn't let trying to lose weight put you off. I've got the implant thingie which is similar to the pill and has the similar side effects of weight gain and I'm still losing weight just fine.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Groovychic » Mon May 01, 2006 8:49 pm

That makes me feel a little better. When I was on the pill years ago I never had a weight problem, maybe a few kilos but geez I ate a lot more crap then as well!!! I am thinking of trying the 3 monthly injection, deprovera or something it's called. I'm just going to do a little bit of research. I know that 1 side effect of that was break through bleeding but it can't be any worse than it is now. And hopefully I can just go to the doc on Thursday, go get the stuff and then have the needle. or with any luck they might have it in stock. I really don't want to have to take a pill every day as I am way past doing that now in my older age!
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon May 01, 2006 8:56 pm

Well I went on the implanon thing wondering which I would get :irregular period, heavy period, lighter period, no period. I got the last option, which is kinda handy. i'm hoping if I go off it I will go back to the original very regular cycle I had before I started on the pill.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Groovychic » Mon May 01, 2006 9:02 pm

It should do but it might take a few months. When I was on the pill pre-children I used to skip the periods most of the time. I would just have 1 every 3 or 4 months. Then when I went off it, it took about 9 months or so to get back to normal. Fell pregnant the first time I ovulated! Couldn't work out what this pain was and had to take my partner up to the doc anyway cos he had this funny rash all over him. Mentioned it to the doc and he said o you are ovulating! And the funny rash was german measles!!! Hence got tested to make sure my rubella vaccination was still working just fine, which it was! And he turned out just fine, except he had a cone head for the first 24 hours or so!!! I was like o my gawd he is deformed and the doc laughed and she said no that is quite normal! Get me a hat for him now! And my partner went round saying "what have you done to your cone"!!!! Off the coneheads! He loved that movie.
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Angel » Tue May 02, 2006 3:06 pm

The doctor you are seeing doesn't seem overly concerned and I think he should be, personally I can't understand how walking on a treadmill can make you have period pain or periods surely its just coincidence?? Lets face its not 'normal' and damn annoying for you, perhaps you would get a more sympathetic ear from a female doctor, I'd go for the second opinion.

Consider going back on the pill, there are so many different types, I've been on a few different types and not experienced weight gain or loss of libido, I guess its just a matter of finding the right one for you. Originally I went on the pill for excrutiating period pain - went away in a flash, hopefully you'll experience the same.

Good luck,
Angel
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Angel

Postby Groovychic » Tue May 02, 2006 6:15 pm

Thanks Angel.....I'm going to see the doctor who delivered the kids and does my pap smears. She is a good doctor. And I am going to take my partner so I know he will push her a bit further than I would!
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue May 02, 2006 7:12 pm

Don't forget that doctors sometimes forget that you don't have the knowledge they do and they sometimes don't ask the questions that seem obvious to you, knowing the answers. I'm always brutally honest with my doctors and correct them if they obviously have missed an important part of what I'm saying (eg, these period pains a REALLY painful and I have my period almost all the time which is NOT NORMAL FOR ME). And I ask questions. All the time. It's your body and your medical bill so in the end you have the right to know what the doctor is thinking about your condition and all the possible options.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Groovychic » Wed May 03, 2006 10:09 am

Yes I do intend on letting her know everything! It's not the pain that bothers me so much but the constant very very light bleeding! It's driving me up the wall. I can cope with the pain, take the drugs......hahaha! :lol: But to be very slowly bleeding like I am is just about making me cry! I nearly had a cry yesterday arvo because I thought it had finally stopped then it started up again the afternoon and all I had done yesterday arvo was go for a walk.....so it certainly isn't the treadmill! And it shouldn't be anyway. If women can't exercise without having breakthrough bleeding then something is way wrong!
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby linda » Mon May 22, 2006 7:54 pm

I have had all these problems too, you need to see a gyno and have a curette to investigate that nothing is wrong. I did all this they found nothing wrong, but I am now on medication (provera) that stops you from bleeding, I refuse to have a hysterectomy, seems to a bit drastic just for bleeding too much. Seeing another gyno shortly for a second opinion, I don;t believe that surgery is my only option.
linda

Postby clare » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:04 am

yay someone whos knows what its like... i have suffered from pcos for as long as I can remember and have lately been contemplating going on the pill. I have2x kids and have my period 3 to 4 times a year. Excess hair growth and acne... not too good for 30 year old.
after the birth of thing 2 i had my tubes tied which was supposed to be a 40 minute operation. They took nearly 4 hours, they said my ovaries where a real mess. And like a few of you mine too is only on the right side.
I have found however the more weight I loose (or rather misplace until I find it again!!) the more frequent the periods and the more painful!!
Maybe i should stay fat and pain free!!!!!

As for the cause being the treadmill.... my fat behind it is... I'd change doctors!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
clare

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk