It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:02 pm

Free Newsletter

Why am I allways hungry

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Why am I allways hungry

Postby keego33 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:52 pm

I cant understand why I am allways hungry, even after eating a big meal. At the same time I am down on energy and wanting to sleep. Went to the doctor who has ordered a stack of blood tests, hope something shows up. I need to get about 20kgs off.
keego33

Re: Why am I allways hungry

Postby help6363 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:38 pm

keego33 wrote:I cant understand why I am allways hungry, even after eating a big meal. At the same time I am down on energy and wanting to sleep. Went to the doctor who has ordered a stack of blood tests, hope something shows up. I need to get about 20kgs off.

It maybe a medical problem, such as thyroid.

If it's not a medical problem, you could try the following:
- Overeater's Annoymous (FREE and in the phone book)
-Ask your doctor for a referral to a counsellor

I had the same problem and I went to Overeater's Annoymous to learn to control my eating

Good luck with the tests......I hope everything is okay!

Please let us know how you are going :D
help6363

Postby milkyway » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:22 pm

Do you drink a lot of water? You could be deyhydrated. Our bodies mistake thirst for hunger and could also be making your feel lethargic.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby country_gal » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:55 pm

A glass of water before your meal is highly recommended.
I do so before every meal nowdays.
So it's worth a try if your not doing that already.

And once you have had something to eat try brushing your teeth immedietly after your meal, that included wanting a naughty treat!
If you do try eat regardless, it should taste aweful!

Or you could try eating smaller meals, but more often.
So instead of eating three large meals a day, cut the portions down a little and add a fruit snack or something else healthy in between your meals,for a mid morning, and afternoons snack.

It's worth getting your thyroid checked though if you haven't already.
I went to my GP a couple of weeks ago and asked to get that and my cholesterol level checked.
Both came back with good news, but either way, if i had gotten news that either was in need of help: well that was the starting point of fixing it.
I wish you well.
country_gal

Postby keego33 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:52 pm

Many thanks for the comments, it gives me hope.
keego33

Postby GumBoots » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:52 am

Are you on any medication? I started new anti depressants a few weeks ago and of late I have been STARVING even after eating. I have been curbing my hunger with carrot and celery sticks.
[/url]
GumBoots

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:36 pm

I noticed my appetite increased significantly when I went on the pill. As GumBoots said increased appetite can be caused by certain medications.

There are certain foods that will help control your appetite. Protein creates a greater feeling of satiety than other foods. And low GI foods will help you feel fuller for longer.

Another thing to consider: do you know what a normal hunger signal feels like? People who overeat are less likely to recognise the feeling of fullness that comes from the brain when certain chemicals are released by the stomach. I know that I have a tendency to eat to over-full and it took a lot of training to start to recognise what 'satisfied' feels like. Rather than waiting until your stomach is completely gorged it can help to feel for a warm feeling in the solar-plexus instead that indicates that you have eaten enough. It takes a while to get used to it, but I find it the best way to stop myself from keeping on eating. People in Okinawa have a saying that you should eat until you are 80% full. Otherwise you are eating too much.

Good luck. I hope the medical tests come back with something helpful for you.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby EllPatt » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:35 am

Just a quick ask of you...

....write down everything that you eat and drink in a week, and find out whether the amount increases as the week goes on..or whether it stays about the same.
EllPatt

Postby Athena » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:20 am

It could be a medicle problem... sometimes they don't show up on blood tests either
It's times like these you learn to live again
Athena

Return to Weight loss Talk