It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:15 pm

Free Newsletter

Keeping it healthy

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Keeping it healthy

Postby rivenriver » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:20 pm

I'm looking for advice here, please! :)

So... I've just lost over 5kg in under 2 weeks.

A few words spring to mind... unhealthy and unsustainable seem to top the list.

How did I do this? I just haven't been eating very much. It's the end of semester at uni, and I'm really busy, so that affects things. The main bit though is someone... uh... declared interest in me, and I've had butterflies on and off since then. And, as I have discovered, eating when your tummy is full of butterflies is really, really uncomfortable, so I just haven't been doing it. (Which kinda sucks, cos then I get a sore tummy from not eating, but as soon as I eat I get a sore tummy from eating... *sigh* I digress...)

Anyway. I'm not interested in putting that 5kg back on, obviously. I like being 103.5kg better than being 108.9kg. But I know that with really rapid weight loss like that, you're almost certainly going to put it back on. So I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to sustain it. And how to stay healthy while doing it. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to keep loosing weight fast over the next week or two, since neither of the things I suspect of causing this drop will be going away very quickly. So I also need some tips on staying healthy while being busy / loosing weight.

I should mention, too, that I haven't been actively trying to loose weight for a few months. I monitor my weight, because I find it interesting, but lately I've been pretty happy with myself, who I am and what I look like. And anyway, I don't have the money for the wardrobe change that always come with dropping a few kg. I pretty much just eat the same as my friends do, I eat when I'm hungry, I try to eat my vegetables, and I try to avoid the junk food, but I do eat it if I'm craving it, or if it's convenient. Course, that said, I'm always up for being a bit smaller, and I'd rather not put any on if I can help it.

Can anyone give me some tips, pretty please? :)
rivenriver

Re: Keeping it healthy

Postby Athena » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:28 pm

Just make sure you don't binge when it's all over. Often extended periods of hunger can have that effect, when you find that you can eat again without feeling sick then the temptation will be to eat a lot. That's why people put on weight again if they lose it fast.
It's times like these you learn to live again
Athena

Postby GumBoots » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:17 pm

1 tip I have for you is OP SHOPPING. I was really worried when dropping dress sizes as to how I was going to fund it as I left work 2 months ago now but I got a full wardrobe of clothes for $30. Trousers, tee's, jumpers everything I need til I drop another dress size.
[/url]
GumBoots

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:31 pm

The main thing is to not go back to your old habits that caused you to gain weight in the first place. You say you've been monitoring your weight recently. Were you gaining weight before this sudden loss, or were you happily maintaining without much effort? If the former is the case then you need to look at the bad habits that were causing you to gain weight and make sure you don't start doing them again once these butterflies wear off! If the latter is true then I don't think you have much to worry about. Just keep an eye on your weight so see if it starts sneaking back up again.

Another tip is to take advantage of your new hunger signals (or lack thereof!). It sounds like you're currently satisfied with smaller portion sizes than what you were eating in the past. Over time you'll probably learn to feel full on less. Retraining yourself to be satisfied with smaller portion sizes should really help with your long-term weight loss. Just be careful not to let the portion sizes creep up again once the butterflies go away! :D

Congrats on the new love interest, too! Love is such a wonderful thing. :wink:
EvilWombatQueen

Postby rivenriver » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:47 pm

Nah, I wasn't gaining weight, just hovering comfortably with a kg or so. I lost a few kg last year when I was a regular member of this forum, but I haven't really gained weight in years. I gained a few over the HSC because I didn't have time for my dance classes and was sitting studying all the time, but beyond that, I've been about the same for years. I think most of my weight gain happened in my early teens. Even though I'm obviously heavier now than I was then, I'm still in the same proportion. I've never been normal-size, anyway. But I'm only 20, sooo... ;)

And yes, love is a wonderful thing... but it's also very scary and confusing!! But in a good way I guess... :)

Thanks for the tips everyone!!!
rivenriver

Return to Weight loss Talk