It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:03 pm

Free Newsletter

Best kind of exercise

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Best kind of exercise

Postby emmalouise86 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:24 am

Hi ive been doing around 1 hours walk almost every day and it does make me feel good when i am finished but is this ok as an only form of exercise to lose weight? I live about a 30 min drive from the gym and i dont think i would be able to find the time to go especially with my 3 year old! I have an elliptical machine (i think thats wat its called) that ive had packed away for a few years..should i start using that too? Wat do u think is the best form of exercise thats not too time consuming? :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wMlGBYb/]
[/url]
emmalouise86

Re: Best kind of exercise

Postby GumBoots » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:15 am

At the moment I am only walking about 1 hour a day to lose weight as I dont have the $$$ to go to the gym til July (gym membership for my birthday) so then I will start the hard yards to tone up then :D
[/url]
GumBoots

Postby Cac33 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:25 am

I have found walking is great & really helps you loose weight. According to calorieking you burn more calories on a cross trainer (elliptical) than just walking alone. So if you already have one then I suggest you add in some time on the cross trainer or alternate it with your walking.
Good luck with your goals :D
Cass

SW: 108.3 (4Feb08)
CW: 96.1
GW: 70
Cac33

Postby la1982 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:31 am

Walking is good but you need to start changing the walking routine up a bit as you lose weight and get fitter otherwise your body just adapts to the same speed of walking. Some suggestions for you
- Maybe buy a pedometer and start each week to improve the number of steps you do within your set time period i.e. means you are walking faster/further in the same amount of time
- Look for different routes with mixed terrains like some hills or stairs to vary the routine
- Google Couch to 5km program - its a 9 week program that will get you running 5km in 30 mins and is designed to be used 3 times per week. It starts off in week 1 like this a brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes. Then a 5 minute brisk walk again to cool down. You start extending your jogging vs walking each week. Its is a great program. You can even download free podcasts to load onto an mp3 player that tells you when to jog and when to walk.
- Definitely get the elliptical out, again this will help vary your routine so you dont get bored and provides an excellent workout that is low impact on your joints. I still find the eliptical for me is one of my best calorie burning exercises.
- Buying some light - medium weighted dumbbells would be great as well for some strength training on the days you dont walk/jog or use the elliptical. You can google heaps of exercises that show you how to perform the exercise eg squatting, dead lifts, lunges, tricep curls just by using these weights.

Hope this helps. These are all things you can do within 30-40 mins per day so definitely workable into your lifestyle. Best of luck! :D
SW 74kg
GW 55kg Achieved 31.1.08
CW 54.6kg
Body fat reduced from 38% to 20.2%
la1982

Postby la1982 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:32 am

By the way you have the exact same weight stats as I did when starting my weight loss journey last August!
SW 74kg
GW 55kg Achieved 31.1.08
CW 54.6kg
Body fat reduced from 38% to 20.2%
la1982

Postby emmalouise86 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:41 am

Thanx for the heplful info, i really appreciate it! Its also good to see someone who has achieved the exact same waight loss that i am hoping for.. i know its gunna be tough but knowing that others can do it makes me alot more confident :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wMlGBYb/]
[/url]
emmalouise86

Postby Shortee » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:00 pm

I am doing about 1hr walk a day..30 min in the morning and the same in the evening.
And i am try to ride my bike at lease three times a week for at least 30min.
I only started my program a few days ago but i know that i will be to scared to weigh myself next week!!
I have about 8 kgs to loose!! Any advice would be greatlt appreciated!

Shortee
:)
Shortee

Postby Shortee » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:01 pm

I am doing about 1hr walk a day..30 min in the morning and the same in the evening.
And i am try to ride my bike at lease three times a week for at least 30min.
I only started my program a few days ago but i know that i will be to scared to weigh myself next week!!
I have about 8 kgs to loose!! Any advice would be greatlt appreciated!

Shortee
:)
Shortee

Return to Weight loss Talk