It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:28 pm

Free Newsletter

Treadmilling...

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Treadmilling...

Postby Edwierdo » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:58 pm

Hi Guys, first time poster here :)

First my background:

I'm a 25 year old male, and have been pretty overweight my whole life. For the last couple of years i've been hovering between 95-105kg's, peaking at 107kg in November 2007. I decided to start doing something about it, and gave up all soft drinks and changed my diet slightly. I got down to 95-97kg's and hung there for a few months. Obviously this wasn't good enough. I bought a treadmill at the end of April this year.

Treadmilling:

I started off doing about 15mins at 6km's an hour per day for a couple of weeks, to get my body used to it. After not seeing any changes in my weight i have since changed my diet, i mainly eat fruit or salad throughout the day, then eat whatever i'm dished up with at night. I started doing 20mins twice a day at 6km's...progressing to 25mins - 30 mins at 7km/h walk, and then 8 min's of 10km/h jog, twice a day (worked out to be a total of about 4.6-5km's total walked/jogged each session). If I have the day off work, in the middle of the day I spend 20-30mins on our rowing machine.

My Question:
After reading up on the best strategies on using treadmilling for weight loss i have recently started to totally change the way i use the treadmill. I now spend 20 mins twice a day doing an 8 km/h jog with the weight loss incline program(i had previously not used the incline at all). Even though i am far more exhausted after that than i was on my previous efforts, the machine shows i burn far fewer calories. Should i trust the machine on this? Am I doing the right thing spending less time on the machine but doing a more intensive workout?

Oh, i am now down to 90.6kg's.

Thanks in advance,
Ed.
Edwierdo

Re: Treadmilling...

Postby Athena » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:01 am

Hi Dswierdo, welcome to the forum. I don't know much about the mechanics of tredmills, but generally the more intensive the workout the more callories are burnt. You just need to watch that you don't shorten it to much. Are you doing as much as your body can easerly handle?
It's times like these you learn to live again
Athena

Re: Treadmilling...

Postby Siana-leah » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:08 am

From my own experience with machines....the calories they say you burn are a bit off....the only way u could get close to figuring out what ur burning is to get one of those heart rate monitor watches...theyre a little expensive....as long as you know what ur doing is effective then u should be right.....
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wWJeIU2/]
[/url]
Siana-leah

Return to Weight loss Talk