It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:58 pm

Free Newsletter

ways to alleviate tiredness

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

ways to alleviate tiredness

Postby sunshine » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:50 pm

So my story is that I was excercising (gym and walking) eating good and then got sick with a virus. So I stopped excercising as I was very tired, and then it just snowballed from there. A vicious circle, if you will, of not eating right, too much bread, alcohol, not alot of water, no gym or walking, resulting in more infections, and lots of lethargy.

I am quite depressed about all this because I have put on about 3 kilos, all that precious work down the drain. I am starting afresh but am wondering about what types of food to eat to increase energy. Such as protein, chicken or eggs for lunch, will this instead of bread rolls give me more energy. Sorry I am a bit clueless about this, but I know for sure that since I changed my daily lifestyle, I definately feel not so good. Thanks in advance.
sunshine

Re: ways to alleviate tiredness

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:05 pm

If you want immediate energy try an apple. They actually wake you up more than a cup of coffee thanks to their natural sugars.

Also add some wholegrain carbs. Brown rice or wholegrain bread are good examples. The carbs provide glycogen which your body uses as fuel when you work out. And eating wholegrains instead of processed white carbs means it will take longer to digest, keeping you full longer and not causing sugar highs and lows which can make you feel even more tired.

Proteins are good for building muscle. It's not used so much as an energy source by the body, but it's an important part of your diet if you're working out to keep your muscles in top form.

Try a muesli bar about half an hour before you work out. It should give you plenty of energy but no be too heavy that you get cramps. Then afterwards have a snack with more protein to repair your muscles.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Strawberry » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:25 am

I have a cup of coffee for energy booster don't know how good this is. :? A low gi diet helps keep energy levels stable.
Strawberry

Postby Strawberry » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:27 am

Shannon from the biggest loser says to have a cup of coffee before a workout = it speeds up metabolism. Could be just a diet myth too. :?
Strawberry

Postby cherry847 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:02 pm

Maybe try Spirulina (in tablet form, not powder) I have taken it and when I have I just have so much more energy and feel better. It tastes horrible so avoid the powder form unless you've tried it before and like it - they say that taking it with orange juice helps mask the taste but that is a lie!!!! You can get it from most health food shops I think, it's not too expensive I've seen it for around $25 for about a month's worth of tablets. It has vitamins and minerals and all sorts of good things in it too :D
This week's goal... control portion sizes!
cherry847

Return to Weight loss Talk