It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:56 pm

Free Newsletter

Scales: Digital vs. Old School

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Scales: Digital vs. Old School

Postby hippy_shake » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:50 pm

Hey all,

Just wondering what you think about scales? Atm I have 2 older style scales that are getting past their best and was wondering if digital scales are worth the investment in the long run? Is one better than the other in terms of reliability? I stick to using the same one at the moment, but it seems a little dodgy sometimes but overall I am loosing weight, so maybe its ok to just stick to the one I have been using? I suppose my biggest fear is that it weighed me wrong the whole time and I'll loose motivation...just wondering if anyone has had an experience like this? Or on the other hand if anyone has spent the extra to get digital scales and then decided they like the old ones better?

Would love to hear your thoughts/experiences.

Love, Jane
Jane :)

SW:80- 21/05/08
CW:68.5
GW:60

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6qtd3I/]
hippy_shake

Re: Scales: Digital vs. Old School

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:01 pm

I find my digital scales way more accurate than my old analogue ones. But then my analogue ones were cheapie $10 [email protected] anyway so they were about as inaccurate as standing on one leg and guessing! I'm not sure how accurate my digital scales are in comparison to others, but they seem to chart my weight loss (or more usually non-weight loss) very accurately from week to week.

I got mine for about $30 from DealsDirect.com.au. They're just vanilla old boring digital scales. I chose not to get the ones that measure fat percentage and the like because I'd heard they aren't that accurate anyway.

Hope this helps!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Strawberry » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:20 am

I guess the difference would be the reading. With digital you can get down to 100g losses & easier to read. Your scales r showing losses, stick with it if u think u'll lose motivation.
Strawberry

Postby Cac33 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:51 am

I started with the old school version then switched to the digital ones because not every week you will loose 1kg & I like to be able to see exactly how much I loose everyweek, so I could never go back to the old ones.

In saying that because the new digital ones are more accurate I found that I weighed 3.5kgs more than the other ones said :cry: It was very depressing to start with but could see the numbers dropping in 100gms intervals so that was almost instant gratification.
Cass

SW: 108.3 (4Feb08)
CW: 96.1
GW: 70
Cac33

Postby GumBoots » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:57 am

What Cass said (gee she is a smart chicken) I too weight more on my digital scales then my old scales, my dads scales or even my doctors scales. I prefer to weigh on mine so I never have a nasty surprise if I need to use someone elses...lol
[/url]
GumBoots

Postby hippy_shake » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:14 am

Hey all,

Yeah I'm thinking of investing in some as soon as I get a job, its getting a bit frustrating with the scales I have at the moment because they literally vary hugely even when stepping on and off immediately after each other it gives a different number!! So i think I would prefer to get a digital one and deal with the initial 'weight gain' because as Cassie said I want to know about the small losses, and also its just very unnerving not knowing if my scales are accurate at all! Was over at a friends place tonight and she had some digital scales which looked nice but they were the weight watchers ones and seemed a bit unreliable as her weight changed by 3 kilos from stepping on it once, and then a second time- so was wondering if anyone could recommend a good reliable brand for a budget of about $50? or should i spend more?

Thanks heaps,
Jane
Jane :)

SW:80- 21/05/08
CW:68.5
GW:60

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6qtd3I/]
hippy_shake

Postby Strawberry » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:53 am

hi jane, i bought mine for $20 from aldi - they read body fat %, muscle, water & based on the info gives u a kj intake.
digital scales do vary too- yesterday morning i weighed in on mine & got a reading of 71.9 then a couple of hours later @ a friends i jumped on her digital scale fully clothed - no shoes & weighed in @ 69.
i've also seen cheap ones @ woolies.
Strawberry

Postby Baby Rainbow » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:53 pm

We got our scales from Kmart for $50 and they read body fat as well. I don't think the body fat reading is very accurate, however the scales are accurate as I weigh the same on them as I do on the ones in town where you pay a dollar and get a printed sheet showing how much you weigh!! Good luck finding scales that suit your needs :wink:
60 day Double Digit challenge! *Day 3*

Baby Rainbow

Postby whit3tig3y » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:44 pm

I also bought a set of digital scales about only a week ago now and i prefer them over the old ones by far!!!! I got mine for $30 at kmart and they tell me what I weigh down to 100's of grams so I think they're worth the investment, expecially if you dont loose a kilo every week. Its also better for motivation, if you see say 81kg go down to 80kg its "yes i lost a kilo" where as the older ones you can see you lost a kilo but its just a tiny notch in the scales..
SW: 139.3kg - 01/01/2012
CW: 136.8kg - 08/01/2012
Goal: 60kg

whit3tig3y

Return to Weight loss Talk