It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:19 am

Free Newsletter

Alcohol and dieting

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Alcohol and dieting

Postby Hurricane Katrina » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:44 am

Hi Everyone,

I just have a quick query about alcohol.

I know that alcohol (especially calorie-laden things like beer) can be one of the main culprits of weight-gain. I have never been part of a structured weightloss group like weight-watchers and the like, but i believe that they either completely limit or drastically restrict alcohol intake while one is on a diet. In terms of my personal drinking habits: i don't drink a drop of alcohol during the week and then usually have a few glasses of wine or gin and tonics on fridays and/or saturdays when i'm out with my friends. I really enjoy my wine. I only drink socially, and having a few with the girls is something i look forward to at the end of the week.

I am aware that alcohol slows down your metabolism, but i'm not sure if that has to do with the quanties being consumed and the frequency thereof. So what i want to know is this: should i completely cut out alcohol from my diet until i've reached goal weight or is moderation the key to enjoying my social life while still striving to lose weight?????? Is there such a thing as a "happy medium" when it comes to alcohol intake and sensible dieting??????

Forgive me if this is an obvious/dumb query, but I'm really lost about this and i'd appreciate any of your input.

Thanks in advance.

Kat ;-)

Starting weight: 70kg
1st mini-goal: 66kg (2009-06-08)
2nd mini-goal: 62kg
3rd mini-goal: 58kg
Goal weight: 54kg
Hurricane Katrina

Re: Alcohol and dieting

Postby SarahC » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:36 am

I think you can have a happy medium. As long as you are within your calorie limits you should be fine, so if you're going out for drinks at night, then just eat a little less during the day. And maybe aim to have one less drink than you normally would. Have a check on calorie king for the calorie content of wine. I generally work on 70cals per 100mL, keeping in mind that most glasses of wine are at least 150mL - so, roughly 100cals per glass

Of course if you drink no alcohol at all, that's far better. But, you have to have a life as well :wink:

Volunteering to be the designated driver for your group is always good if you want to drink less, and it's a really great excuse to use if people are pressuring you to drink more. Just keep in mind, at least 1.5 standard drinks per glass of wine!! (I had one glass the other day and was tested by the police one hour later, and I read 0.01)
SarahC

Postby Strawberry » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:15 am

How would it slow your metabolism? :?. Why can't there be a happy medium, factor it in & don't go overboard.
Strawberry

Postby loveat116 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:37 am

Strawberry wrote:How would it slow your metabolism? :?. Why can't there be a happy medium, factor it in & don't go overboard.

It does not slow your metabolsim really, when drinking alcohol the alcohol has to be metabolised by the body FIRST, because it can not be processed as fat. So the other nutrients in your body that you are eating at the same time (or the sugar in the drinks) will most likely be stored as fat because they have not had a chance to be burned by the body.

Just as long as you don't go overboard with eating when drinking alcohol (Fatty, greasy foods) then you should not see a HUGE difference. Its really not the alcohol that is doing the damage, it is what you eat with it.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby GumBoots » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:59 am

When I first started to lose weight (in Jan this year) I was still drinking a few cans every night :oops: but I was working my arse off at my job so I was still losing weight. Since quitting work, I have cut my alcohol consumption right down to maybe half a dozen drinks a fortnight, If I am lucky.
All things in moderation I think.
[/url]
GumBoots

Postby SarahC » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:01 pm

Oh and when you have a drink it's much harder to resist food, so you're more likely to overeat :(

I heard somewhere that alcohol also increases your appetite as well...
SarahC

Postby anaturallearner » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:02 pm

I drink a glass of red wine every night because of the positive health outcomes - would it be best to drink this after the meal then, rather than with it?

I'm beginning to think that my one glass of beer mixed with soda water and one glass of wine daily may be the reason I've not been able to shift weight at all this year... My metabolism is slow enough as it is without anything else adding to it!

cheers
Beverley
anaturallearner

Postby Strawberry » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:25 pm

anaturallearner wrote:I drink a glass of red wine every night because of the positive health outcomes - would it be best to drink this after the meal then, rather than with it?

I'm beginning to think that my one glass of beer mixed with soda water and one glass of wine daily may be the reason I've not been able to shift weight at all this year... My metabolism is slow enough as it is without anything else adding to it!

cheers
Beverley

I've heard one glass of wine during dinner is fine. Wine has antioxidents. Not sure bout the beer
Strawberry

Postby anaturallearner » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:35 pm

I like fizzy drinks and hate buying all those pep bottles so we brew our own beer. I figured that one pep bottle of soda gives me about 8 shandies, that has to be better for the environment than drinking diet sodas, not that I would anyway cos I hate the taste of the sweetener.

But I am so determined to lose this weight I'm prepared to give up my half glass of home brew a day... :cry:

cheers
Beverley
anaturallearner

Postby Athena » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:24 pm

I think that alcohol is probebly okay in moderation as long as it's the only thing that you indulge in. We all have to pick our luxuries :cry:
It's times like these you learn to live again
Athena

Postby HappyBella55 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:36 pm

I agree with Ella,

Drinking alcohol in moderation is ok. You've just gotta watch out for the food that is consumed while drinking said alcohol.

Make sure to make healthy food choices, filling & low in fat before you start drinking and you'll be right.

And after you have a drink make sure you drink a glass of water, this always helps me.

Lots of water keeps you from being dehydrated the next day.

Losing weight does not have to equal the end of your social life.
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby MelissaW » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:06 am

When I was at the gym they suggested that light spirits are better than dark ones (but I love my scotch - drunk with coke zero of course)

also if you are a beer lover like myself you might like to try some of the low carb beers such as Carlton Dry, or Pure Blonde.
MelissaW

Postby chubby mummy » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:46 pm

I believe with anything that you change while you are dieting has to be a permanent change otherwise when you have reached your target weight you start to feel comfortable with who you are and how you feel, then you let your guard down and go back to your old ways. If you like to have a drink try to adjust your drinking habits so that it is a permanent habit and it will satisfy you once you are at your target. Things such as drinking spirits with diet soft drink.... I know it's yuk to start off but you get used to it. Look at your options to adjust rather than eliminate is my advice.
Goodluck
Chubby Mummy

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wrcQcZv/]
[/url]
chubby mummy

Postby Athena » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:21 pm

I'm addind my anti alcho-pops message in here. Those things are liquid suger! Bloody cruisers are destroying the health of a generation that was never to healthy to begin with. This is my call to join the anti-alcho-pops crusade.
It's times like these you learn to live again
Athena

Postby SarahC » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:48 pm

I heard there was sugar-free lemon ruski's now - think I saw an ad a while back. Might have to look that one up :wink:
SarahC

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk